Redseven AmpCentral Reactive Load IR vs Suhr Reactive Load IR

• Thread starter ezboarderz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am starting to look into the load box market to upgrade from the Two Notes Captor X to something else that can give the most accurate recording experience with york audio IRs. The two notes captor x is great for what it does, but it has a lot of bells and whistles and the recording quality isn't 100% accurate as the impedance curve is something more generic. The reverb and EQ inside the app are great but I can solve that with pedals if need be, although 90% of what i am using is on the red or blue channel of the evh 5150iii.

Redseven AmpCentral: https://www.redseven-amplification.com/amp-central/
Suhr Reactive Load IR: https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/reactive-load-ir/

I have looked around and there doesnt appear to be a direct comparison between the Redseven AmpCentral Load Box vs the Suhr Reactive Load IR. Sonic Drive Studios has a load box comparision video but it doesnt have the Suhr Reactive Load IR in it.

They are roughly the same price (roughly 700 euros) new and offer similar features, with the Amp Central allowing one to choose from reactive to resistive load and includes a fx loop, which is more for amps that dont have that.

The things that I care the most are the accuracy in the sound quality and line/mic outputs for both the raw DI signal without the IR and the signal with the IR.

Has anyone tried both? If so, how do they compare with each other? I am open to other load boxes as well, if there is something better than those two.

Last edited:

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The SNR of any modern equipment should be good enough for recording. In terms of accuracy of an impedance curve, each speaker has a different one, so if there's a particular speaker you want to mimic then maybe we can figure out which box is closest. You should be able to compensate with an EQ though to get them to match for the most part.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The SNR of any modern equipment should be good enough for recording. In terms of accuracy of an impedance curve, each speaker has a different one, so if there's a particular speaker you want to mimic then maybe we can figure out which box is closest. You should be able to compensate with an EQ though to get them to match for the most part.
I am switching between the york audio Mesa OS 412 cab pack and the EVH 5153 412 cab pack. I know the suhr is modeled after greenback speakers, which are in the 5153 but I was curious the impedance curve of the amp central.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
@Guitarjon on here seems to really enjoy his RedSeven, possibly check through his channel "SonicDriveStudio" on YouTube, I'm sure he's got a video demonstrating it.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thanks for the link! I shot redseven an email about the impedance curve and they say its a crossover of a v30 and a greenback, which according to them gives them the best of both worlds. I am guessing that there isnt going to be too much of a difference between the Suhr and the Redseven, maybe some small differences.

@Guitarjon on here seems to really enjoy his RedSeven, possibly check through his channel "SonicDriveStudio" on YouTube, I'm sure he's got a video demonstrating it.
yeah this is where i found out about the redseven in the first place. His demos sounds quite good with it and the evh 5150iii sounds killer with that and the evh 5153 IR mix he is using. Definitely sounds better than the captor x.

I will look to pickup either load box and basically take whichever of these load boxes I find first on my local secondhand market.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just a quite update. I have finally switched over to the Redseven Amp Central from the Captor X and holy shit what an upgrade. It captures such a warm and accurate tone from my 5153 6l6 50 watt. The sound quality is awesome and just takes it to another level.

The only negatives are that it doesnt ship with the USB cable you need to change the IRs (its the old school USB type B that i didnt have on hand) and that theres no output level/volume knob, but that can be addressed with a mic preamp or using an audio interface with extra inputs.

This allows me to step up my guitar tracking to record the amp DI and Stereo XLR via the stereo fx loop. I also track the guitar DI as well so I can fully utilize all 4 inputs of my audio interface. Quite nice flexibility there. Ill post some clips once i get the USB cable in to change the IRs, but I must say they include some pretty good quality IRs that comes with the Amp Central.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Just a quite update. I have finally switched over to the Redseven Amp Central from the Captor X and holy shit what an upgrade. It captures such a warm and accurate tone from my 5153 6l6 50 watt. The sound quality is awesome and just takes it to another level.

The only negatives are that it doesnt ship with the USB cable you need to change the IRs (its the old school USB type B that i didnt have on hand) and that theres no output level/volume knob, but that can be addressed with a mic preamp or using an audio interface with extra inputs.

This allows me to step up my guitar tracking to record the amp DI and Stereo XLR via the stereo fx loop. I also track the guitar DI as well so I can fully utilize all 4 inputs of my audio interface. Quite nice flexibility there. Ill post some clips once i get the USB cable in to change the IRs, but I must say they include some pretty good quality IRs that comes with the Amp Central.

Awesome! I'm glad you're digging the RedSeven! The plain reactive load sound is so good, I refuse to use anything else! Enjoy!

The Pierce Paradox

Reaction score
Hey @Guitarjon i have the Redseven amp central and when I use the IR outs even with the “input” knob all the way off I get sound of the raw amp (no IR processing) into my interface. When I turn the input up, the IR signal comes in but I still also have the raw amp signal underneath. Is this normal? Or I wonder if mine is defective…

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey @Guitarjon i have the Redseven amp central and when I use the IR outs even with the “input” knob all the way off I get sound of the raw amp (no IR processing) into my interface. When I turn the input up, the IR signal comes in but I still also have the raw amp signal underneath. Is this normal? Or I wonder if mine is defective…

I always use the line out in passive mode. I recommend hitting up R7 support...

Guitarjon

Reaction score
@Guitarjon How much of a difference is there when you run the IR in the axefx versus running it in the amp central?

If I'm honest, I wouldn't know. I never run IRs into the Amp Central. Quality aside, the fact that I can load many more into my Fractal and use effects like a gate etc along with it makes it more appealing for me. Also the fact that it allows me to use the AC in the passive mode is nice.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I'm honest, I wouldn't know. I never run IRs into the Amp Central. Quality aside, the fact that I can load many more into my Fractal and use effects like a gate etc along with it makes it more appealing for me. Also the fact that it allows me to use the AC in the passive mode is nice.
Sounds like you might have the theme of a potential comparison video ;)