Reference Tracks - Should I be Using Them for Mastering?

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I’m currently working on mastering my debut ep. All the songs are mixed how I like, but I’m having trouble getting a consistent sound between them. Would using a reference track and/or plugin be beneficial in this endeavor? Also any other tips on the subject would be very helpful.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think so. Reference tracks are usually used during the mixing phase. You could take your standout track and use it as the reference for the other tracks, though.

Say more about inconsistent sound (dynamics, eq, etc.). Without knowing the details, this sounds like something to fix in the mixing stage.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I don't think so. Reference tracks are usually used during the mixing phase. You could take your standout track and use it as the reference for the other tracks, though.

Say more about inconsistent sound (dynamics, eq, etc.). Without knowing the details, this sounds like something to fix in the mixing stage.
Would I use the main mix from the standout track or would I use the already mastered track?

As for inconsistent sound, I think it’s more eq related. I’m using the same guitar tones, drum settings etc

Last edited:

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Would I use the main mix from the standout track or would I use the already mastered track?

As for inconsistent sound, I think it’s more eq related. I’m using the same guitar tones, drum settings etc
I think about mastering as mostly getting levels correct (for the release format) and making the songs work as a whole.

1) I would start with your standout track, get the levels right (limiting, compression).
2) get matching levels with the other tracks.
3) use your standout track as a reference, and make the smallest eq changes to the other tracks to match the standout track.

You might be surprised that some of the inconsistencies you're hearing are more about level and dynamics than eq. If you want, post two tracks and I'm sure people will give options about how to match them.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I would think having a reference, at any point - mix, master, whatever - is always going to be helpful to keep your perspective grounded to something. I think you'd get pretty varied answers as to how much a mix vs. a master should affect eq balance, but even just a volume / dynamics change can pretty drastically change how you perceive the end result, so I'd still want to be checking it against something.

I'm not a pro, and I've never really watched a pro as they work through their mastering process, but my own "mastering", janky as it is, has always involved some really subtle eq - chopping off the very extremes that aren't likely to be useful on most playback devices, and a subtle final "shaping" pass.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, and I've never really watched a pro as they work through their mastering process, but my own "mastering", janky as it is, has always involved some really subtle eq - chopping off the very extremes that aren't likely to be useful on most playback devices, and a subtle final "shaping" pass.
Yes. Typically subtle is the aim. I would also say, if you need big eq moves, go back and fix it in the mix. Some of this "cohesion" should even be happening during pre-production.

For an entirely different perspective, listen to a "sampler" or "various artists" releases for how many different songs can fit together.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
What I see more experienced people than I doing is using a reference for the “feature” track, then using that track as the reference for the others, and they will get things sounding good then check against the loudest section of the reference and loudest section of the following tracks so that you are setting a top limit for loudness/dynamics and allowing the stuff below that to breathe and have the song to song dynamic.

')