Refinishing a guitar in EU

• Thread starter rock90
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rock90

Reaction score
Hey!

Does you of u guys here know about a company/guy that can refinish a guitar in EU? The closer to Slovenia the better. I'm getting a year 2000 MIJ rg 570. It's really in good shape (so i'm told, have to check it out in person still) but the finish is a little gone on the edges, so in the future i would like to have it repainted. I don't think there is anyone in my country that repaints(refinishes) guitars so I'm looking for something close to my country...

Tnx

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I don't think there is anyone in my country that repaints(refinishes) guitars so I'm looking for something close to my country...
Depends on what you want, but I 4545% sure there're car painters shop around you that could do this. ;)

Necromagnon

Reaction score
4545% sure that most car painters wont paint a guitar :wallbash:
Really?
I've already ask, and they was ok. And I know many others that does this. But it depends off course on people. But generally, if you want something "normal", they aren't against the idea. It's just a matter of a few minutes for them.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, and I think he won't lost anything to ask. :)
And there might be some luthier in slovenia that will be able to do this.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Really?
I've already ask, and they was ok. And I know many others that does this. But it depends off course on people. But generally, if you want something "normal", they aren't against the idea. It's just a matter of a few minutes for them.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, and I think he won't lost anything to ask. :)
And there might be some luthier in slovenia that will be able to do this.

haha I know. It just seems that everyones "go to answer" is to have a car place do it. For most auto body shops, it frankly isnt worth their time or effort, and I dont blame them.

Best thing to do is to try to get it cleared the same time a cars getting cleared. He definitely SHOULD ask around, as a luthier will charge an arm and a leg for the same damn thing lol

Necromagnon

Reaction score
For most auto body shops, it frankly isnt worth their time or effort, and I dont blame them.
Ah, sure. It's not really worthy. But i was implicitely thinking about your second point

Best thing to do is to try to get it cleared the same time a cars getting cleared. He definitely SHOULD ask around, as a luthier will charge an arm and a leg for the same damn thing lol
+1

You just have to throw your car into another, and it's good.

Kammo1

Reaction score
I could refinish this no problem but I am in the UK which you may or may not want to do. If so PM me and we can always sort something out :yesway:

eddiewarlock

Reaction score
Hope in Europe is better, but in Venezuela, my experience with car painters have been horrible.

That's why i ended up painting my own guitars...jeez...after what they did i wonder how the hell do they work respraying cars...

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Hope in Europe is better, but in Venezuela, my experience with car painters have been horrible.

That's why i ended up painting my own guitars...jeez...after what they did i wonder how the hell do they work respraying cars...
:eek:

Strange...

Another possibilites for OP, is to do it yourself. Evenif it's not the funniest part, it's doable by yourself.

xeL

Reaction score
I know of Spectrum Guitar Finishes who do work for various high end UK luthiers such as Mansons and Patrick Eggle, prices aren't cheap but they offer a wide range of colours and finish types.

I have a guitar being finished by them after my luthier experienced problems In the finishing stages.

Spectrum Guitar Finishes | Professional Guitar Refinishing

FatKol

Reaction score
This guy:

Swirled

Living in Germany. His main priority are swirls, but he does other finishes too (as you'll see in the pictures!)
Really, really nice guy to work with! :)

Lothar

Reaction score
Contact Skervesen Guitars. They refinished my roommates RGD2127z with chameleon colour. AWESOME AS FUCK

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an Ibby done by a car painter and while it looked alright he never used on a primer coat, so the paint chipped very easily (RG's have VERY sharp corners, as we all know).

However, my go-to guitar painter guy now is a car painter and airbrush artist, and he's the absolute fucking man. So do look around, you might find someone good!

An even better idea might be to contact someone who does motorcycles, as they tend to be a little more accustomed to working with curves similar to a guitar's.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
An even better idea might be to contact someone who does motorcycles, as they tend to be a little more accustomed to working with curves similar to a guitar's.
Good idea! Didn't think about that, but it makes sense. Also, bike painters are used to paint small surfaces, small quantities, compared to car painters, so maybe it would help them to accept such small work for a guitar.

Very good tip, anyway! :cheers:

rock90

Reaction score
Wasn't here for some time and i am happy about all the feedback I got. Thanks a lot guys. I have some local guys who own car shops that might be interested and will also check other stuff that u mentioned.

rock90

Reaction score
I could refinish this no problem but I am in the UK which you may or may not want to do. If so PM me and we can always sort something out :yesway:

Have a cousin living in the UK, but still seems like a hustle to have it done so far away. Tnx for the offer tho. If everything else falls through I'll contact u.

Cheers

rock90

Reaction score
:eek:

Strange...

Another possibilites for OP, is to do it yourself. Evenif it's not the funniest part, it's doable by yourself.

I really do not have not the confidence nor the skills for that. Maybe sometime in the future, when I decide to resurrect my old MIK rg 370 dx. Even I i fuck up there, no harm is done. :)

rock90

Reaction score
This guy:

Swirled

Living in Germany. His main priority are swirls, but he does other finishes too (as you'll see in the pictures!)
Really, really nice guy to work with! :)

I just checked out his gallery. :eek: Amazing. Do you have any info on the prices?

s4tch

Reaction score
A local car shop did a guitar for me in no time, for no money. Here it is; you can see that it needs some polishing, but anyone - even someone with no experience as myself - can do it at home. If the first shop says no, then I'd ask a second or a third one. I live in a small town (~35.000 people), there are like 4-5 local shops here.

FatKol

Reaction score
I just checked out his gallery. :eek: Amazing. Do you have any info on the prices?

Yep. 350€ for the body and 70,- for the headstock, that's how much I'll have to pay for the swirl, I'll make on my RG2228 ;-)
But you have to strip down the guitar on your own. He makes only the finishes ;-)
Really really(!) nice guy to work with!

EDIT: I've to say the price is not that high, there's a luthier in Austria which wants 900+ for a refinish ;-)

')