Refinishing a RGA7 (All Your 56k joke Belongs To Us)

• Thread starter Kapee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
main.php

I've had enough of this look. This week, this is going natural!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Luppin

Reaction score
Am extremely interested in seeing how the RGA7 looks with a natural finish, ever since I bought mine a year ago I've been itching to strip it down but I've been nervous about the wood looking kinda meh

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I don't think it will look that great, to be honest. I tried to strip the paint from my RGA8 body a while ago and it was laminated together from like 4 slabs of mahogany. Not the most beautiful mahogany anyways. If you put on a trans finish, like trans black or something, it might look good. However, good luck!

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
shitsøn;2877186 said:
I don't think it will look that great, to be honest. I tried to strip the paint from my RGA8 body a while ago and it was laminated together from like 4 slabs of mahogany. Not the most beautiful mahogany anyways. If you put on a trans finish, like trans black or something, it might look good. However, good luck!

If the wood looks like shit (Like im expecting too), i will consider a somekind of veneer on the top. I just dont know where to get veneer here in Finland. Ill get some sandpaper tomorrow so maby i'll get few pics up here to show how the body looks.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
If the wood looks like shit (Like im expecting too), i will consider a somekind of veneer on the top. I just dont know where to get veneer here in Finland. Ill get some sandpaper tomorrow so maby i'll get few pics up here to show how the body looks.
Mind that applying veneer on an arched body is gonna be a bit harder than on a flat top.

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha!
shitsøn;2877656 said:
Mind that applying veneer on an arched body is gonna be a bit harder than on a flat top.
Yeah, im aware of that, but wasting few planks for getting it right is worth the sexyness! The original wood is looking good too! I got home today and did this:

main.php

main.php

main.php

Check the volume pot's hole. Thats the why i would like a veneer on the top!

And theres no picture without a cat picture;
main.php

Early spring is what me and my cat love!

Edit:

Moar progress!

main.php

main.php

main.php

Too bad the clearcoat under the paint is damaged! Now i have to get fully throught it and especially sanding the horns will be a fucking nightmare!

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
Eccentric sander with 40, 80, 120, 180 and 240grit. Im gonna use 40 and 80 until im fully through the clear primer, then up to 240 grit with the machine. After that im using 180>1200 to make it look sleek and shit!

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I wonder, and please forgive me if I missed it in your posts, how the hell did you end up wrecking those pot-holes? Holy shit, that's a nasty shame ;)

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
that gaping hole was the first thing i noticed when i saw the new picture. what the hell did you do to the guitar?!

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
I wonder, and please forgive me if I missed it in your posts, how the hell did you end up wrecking those pot-holes? Holy shit, that's a nasty shame ;)

that gaping hole was the first thing i noticed when i saw the new picture. what the hell did you do to the guitar?!

Pothole happened when my solders started to break and the pot didnt work properly. I gave it a smack and it got straight throught the top! Atleast it started working for a while!

Veneer on the top would fix that, but installing it on this guitar will be hard. I got to give it a try!

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
I was thinking if i stain the guitar really dark and make somekind of pickguard out of thin metal piece and let it rust to match dark wood color. Would be so much easier than veneering!

What do you think?

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
working with actual rust is a pain, because you can't just use any clear coat to seal it.
you pretty much have to use automotive clear coat. it's generally made for being able to seal rust spots--which is tricky because you have adhesion problems with most clear coats (the rust tends to powder or flake off, so you end up with bubbles in the clear with most clears).
and you obviously don't want to leave it fully exposed because then you get rust all over yourself as you play (which is dirty and not particularly healthy either).

')