Refinishing a RGA7 (All Your 56k joke Belongs To Us)

• Thread starter Kapee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
working with actual rust is a pain, because you can't just use any clear coat to seal it.
you pretty much have to use automotive clear coat. it's generally made for being able to seal rust spots--which is tricky because you have adhesion problems with most clear coats (the rust tends to powder or flake off, so you end up with bubbles in the clear with most clears).
and you obviously don't want to leave it fully exposed because then you get rust all over yourself as you play (which is dirty and not particularly healthy either).

I have graduated as autobody repairer and have worked in car paintshop so i have the skills and knowledge to do these things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
main.php

Sunday sunday sunday!

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
SHOULD I DITCH THE BINDINGS?

And progress;

main.php

main.php

Should i round all the shapes?

main.php

main.php

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
Im not gonna veneer the top. This is my only guitar at the moment and my main goal is to get this baby playable ASAP! Ordering and working with the veneer would take too much time! Im thinking adding wooden piece like this;
main.php

to cover the GAPING hole!

RTB668

Neighbor ofthe Beast
Reaction score
I vote for keeping the binding also! ...and you are one gutsy guitar player to start a major project with your only guitar! Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Djentai

lurk lord
Reaction score
OR: Buy that jack-

Screw it on upside down over the hole (so the hole is pointing towards the headstock),
Then:
A) Attach a toggle switch to it. (for easy pickup selecting in the same direction as a strum/picking hand)
or
B) Attach a volume knob to it (cuz it would seem to turn better being fully exposed, rather than halfway covered by the jack mount which would make it harder to turn)

Or, get a flat mount 90 degree non-angled input jack and screw it on top for a vol/tone knob..

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
a volume knob won't fit into one of those output sockets, and an exposed shaft coming from one of those would be a major pain to work with.
as mentioned above, a flat mounted output jack plate would work.

alternately, you could glue a piece of wood inside the cavity and make a recessed volume control (and then just use filler to make the area not covered by the knob flush with the guitar body).

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
As cool of an idea as that would be, I really don't think that a volume knob would fit in there; it would most likely meet a lot of resistance on the sides.

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
As cool of an idea as that would be, I really don't think that a volume knob would fit in there; it would most likely meet a lot of resistance on the sides.
Im aware that the dome knob wont fit there, unless i mod the strato jack a bit! :agreed:

And also! I bought a bottle of tung oil!

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
main.php

main.php

main.php

Need to make the HUGE hole MORE huger! It's gonna be the bestest ever! And tried a little tung oil in there also!

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Do a Matte white, black hardware, massive black binding, ebonize the fretboard (if not already ebony) Matching headstock, and paint the neck to match

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
Tung oil<3 (Bit greenish thus the lightning!)

main.php

main.php

main.php

And damigu, you're right that it look's pretty stupid, but i flipped that jack upside down and it looks much more natural and fits almost perfectly.

Tomorrow if im lucky, i get to finish this!

Latest posts

')