Refinishing my RG7620 (Lots of Big Pics)

• Thread starter MacTown09
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
Eh, doesn't do it for me. Needs to be more choatic, the "distressed" parts look too organised. Whatever floats your boat though. :tmm:
Looking forward to seeing the end result, the one that does count :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MacTown09

Reaction score
Eh, doesn't do it for me. Needs to be more choatic, the "distressed" parts look too organised. Whatever floats your boat though. :tmm:
Looking forward to seeing the end result, the one that does count :lol:

Well i dont like your RG7 either jerk!

Haha jking man. You are one of the reasons i did mine.

Does anyone know if i can use leather dye to dye my fretboard black? I know a guy in the extended range threads did this to a maple neck guitar...

MacTown09

Reaction score
UPDATE (WITHOUT PICTURES MUHAHAHA):
This post is dedicated to all the 1,300 views that my thread has gotten and only a few comments...
So i am done with the oiling process. put about 10 coats of that stuff on. It looks GREATTTTTT. i am now in the process of letting it cure for 2 weeks like i was recommended so its hanging up in my dorm room closet for awhile. It looks fantastic. The Tru Oil REALLY brings out all the pretty grains and stuff in the wood and makes it look very 3D. I am still contemplating whether or not i will be dying the fretboard as i think the rosewood is going to look good with the green. We will see.

Also i am still working on choosing pickups. I am looking at the Dimarzio D sonic for the bridge and something else Dimarzio for the neck, but am also thinking about going with BKP's ESPECIALLY since they are offering 7 string covers now! What do you guys think i should go for?

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
i dont think youll go wrong with the dsonic...id like to get like an air norton for my neck...

get the BKPs if you can afford it, if moneys tight dont.

ive always wanted a ceramic warpig7 for my bridge and a black dog for the neck.

post pics, i want to see how the gunstock finish came out!

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
looking slick man, i just found the luthiery section of the forum, lol. all kinds of win going on!

what pups are you planning on using for this?
Haha props for that idea cyril V. It did work well though!

Just passing on the knowledge I got from others.. from me to you, but this particular tip was from Elysian! :bowdown:

Hollowman

Reaction score
Does anyone else like this or is it really not good lookin?

It looks cool can't wait to see it finished.:yesway:

If you ever strip another Axe use an industrial stripper BUT BE CAREFUL last few I did I used stuff from a company called Quick Clean Industries, I may not be spelling it right the stripper cost like $40.00 a quart , well anyway I let their product sit for like 15 mins and it was so strong that the paint started bubbling and running when you picked up the body and tilted it, this shit melted plastic scrappers and even removed the paint from the pickup cavities it took everything straight to the sealer, then I used 3 bottles of Formby's wash to make sure it was off it took all of 45 mins to have it completely stripped. I never even had to sand.

MacTown09

Reaction score
Oh look i put it back together!

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

Well i think i love it :) Neck feels AMAZING. I am hoping to get some BKP's on it but we will see soon how it all turns out.

Hope you guys enjoy!

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it turned out great. I might steal your idea and do one in a similar fashion :ninja:

Rokkaholic

Reaction score
Dude REALLY nice job there. I think it would look more kickass without the dots IMO but great looking guitar. I really like how the bottom left contour came out.

avenger

Reaction score
I think it turned out great. I might steal your idea and do one in a similar fashion :ninja:
Holy shit! I might have to rethink my refinishing plans aswell. This thing turned out amazing! Honestly I think there will be some ninja'ing happening in the next week or two.

Great guitar man!

MacTown09

Reaction score
Glad you guys i like it!

Haha and yeah i love g-fro for sure man! He is an awesome dog :)

Tip to you guys that plan on stealing my idea:
TAKE YOUR TIME WITH SANDING: Obviously there are some parts on the guitar that didnt end up as smooth as i wanted them to be. Make sure to get everything REALLY smooth no matter how frustrated you get.

avenger

Reaction score
Glad you guys i like it!

Haha and yeah i love g-fro for sure man! He is an awesome dog :)

Tip to you guys that plan on stealing my idea:
TAKE YOUR TIME WITH SANDING: Obviously there are some parts on the guitar that didnt end up as smooth as i wanted them to be. Make sure to get everything REALLY smooth no matter how frustrated you get.
Ohhh but sanding is the worst part! :p

Actaully just a question did you plan on having the kinda faded bursts around the control cavities and such or was that a result of sanding.

Etheir way it looks badass but I will go for a less vintage look if I go this route.

Its between this and a PGM faux hole ripoff w/ pyramid inlays (overlays).

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Camo covered BKPs!!!! It will look SOOOO Sexy!

+1 to that, hit up Zimbloth, he'll help you pick the right one to get the job done with your setup.

anyways, congrats... this is along out rather nice.

MacTown09

Reaction score
Actaully just a question did you plan on having the kinda faded bursts around the control cavities and such or was that a result of sanding.

Nah the only parts that were unintentional were the scratches right below the neck joint, the unsmoothness of the chest contour, and some of the top feels a little bit rough but that could be for other reasons...

I was definitely considering camo BKPS! Anyone know how much a set would cost me?

')