Regaining the urge to play :(

• Thread starter Fktpguitfiddle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fktpguitfiddle

Reaction score
so here's the thing, i used to play ALOT 4-7 hours a day, between band practice and just sittin at the computer jamming. but nowadays i cant seem to sit down and play more than a song or two before settin my guitar down and going to do something else. what helps you guys keep on a routine? band or no band i need some advice. im way out of practice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Honestly, just leave it. I don't play guitar very often lately, but i've gone through these dry spells so many times that I know not to worry. Just take some time off it and do something else. Immerse yourself in the world of headphones, or studio monitors, or amps, or video games, or whatever. Keep your interest level up, but focus it on something else. You'll get the spark back once you're no longe over saturated with it.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Wow, at my most intense I'll play 3-4 hours a day, and thats rare. I'd say let it ride and don't worry about it. Its not like your guitar is collecting dust. We all go through phases.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I get like this between my 6 and 7.

Sometimes I just want to play my 7 for weeks, then I will pick up my 6 and my 7 sulks in the corner.

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
its burnout,gone though it numerious times over 20+years,I got it right now,it will pass,just stay the course...

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Some cats are just like that... don't worry about it.

I remember reading an interview with Richie Kotzen. When asked about practicing, he said that he only picks up the guitar when he is on tour or recording an album. Otherwise, he has a lot of other stuff that he needs and wants to do. Of course, I wish I could be that good without practicing, but alas...

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Learn a new genre.

This. yes. I tend to switch genres when I get bored, I go from playing rock to doom to death metal to power metal, ect. It definitly keeps my playing fresh and interesting. Also trying to dip your toe in other genres will generally make you a more well rounded player.

Try writing some thrash songs :hbang:

I get like this between my 6 and 7.

Sometimes I just want to play my 7 for weeks, then I will pick up my 6 and my 7 sulks in the corner.

also this, I hadn't picked up my 7 in over a month until last week, now I've been playing it a ton and playing nevermore/nile/bloodbath type stuff.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
When I get burnout, I buy some new piece of gear.

It's a problem, I know, but admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

thedonal

Reaction score
You'll get back on it again. A break can be a good thing to refresh the inspiration.

It might not be long before you start missing it..

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
When I get burnout, I buy some new piece of gear.

It's a problem, I know, but admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

+1 to this. I spend more time acquiring and tweaking/testing gear than actual REAL practice. I can play the hell out of some D/C/G open chords, since thats my "Tone tester" progression lol.

All kidding aside, joining a cover band will give you a kick in the ass if you really want to practice more. Just don't gt frustrated when you show up to practice nailing the song, and the other guys are going "What tuning is this in?"

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Try learning a new technique or a new song. Make a challenge for yourself, like learning a full album. ;) Otherwise, I wouldn't say it's anything to really worry about. I've heard a lot of guitarists I admire and really respect say that if you don't have the urge to play, don't. Especially when it comes to writing. If you force something, it'll sound forced and unexciting. It'll all come in due time. :)

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
usually when i noodle around, i don't plug in, and just play very non-metal stuff. funky type stuff, acoustic devin townsend-inspired stuff... I only plug in and play metal to record, almost.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I go through phases where I practice like a madman and others where I won't play more than a song or two per day before doing something else.

It's healthy to take a little break now and then. Sometimes I even come back from an extended break playing better than before.

dizzy

n_n
Reaction score
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Take some time out. Listen to some great music, go to some gigs, reconnect with the stuff that made you want to pick up the guitar in the first place. You'll come back to the guitar with a whole load of motivation and new ideas.

I've used time away from the instrument to work on theory, to listen to new music and genres and generally just to separate the creative part of the whole thing from the technique aspect. If anything, a taking a break can be more conducive to making good music than not having one.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I actually find i spend more time mixing and producing and stuff like that than i spend recording too :p

Fktpguitfiddle

Reaction score
I am gonna try out alot of these methods, i honestly think if i buy a new guitar i'll end up naturally playing it more, and I am gonna switch around with genre's even thrashing up some old ride the lightning at partys usually gets me going again so maybe i'll do that haha. Everyone's suggestions were awesome, thanks alot everyone!

Latest posts

')