regarding the new Ibanez RGDR4527ET

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
As Im sure you all know about me, im always trying out experiments to try and get as close to a custom for me as I can. Throughout the years Ive come to the realization that since im always keeping my 7 string in Bstandard, I dont really need the longer 27" scale. When I had my RGDR4327 which was 26.5", i felt like that was a better balance between extra tension without brittle tone, and was a little easier on the hands. Right about that time, i noticed the new RGDR4527ET was released/announced. Since I loved the 4327 already (except headstock orientation) and this one shares near identical specs, it would give me a chance to try out the ET on a "known good" guitar for an honest evaluation.

But being a forward planner, im always thinking of any changes I would make to it if i dig it enough. The only thing Im not fond of is the reverse headstocks on the RGDRs, and prefer the blank ebony fingerboard on the RGD7UC/UCS. With the 4327, I wasnt able to try trading my 4327 neck for the UCS neck because of the locking nut. However, i noticed on the new ET model that theres no locking nut and from what i could see the headstock was flat black too. So it looks like I could try trading necks with someone with a UCS or buying an RGD7UC/UCS and make the swap myself, then sell off the RGD with the ET's neck.

Im curious though, since the truss rod adjustment now happens at the neck pocket instead of nut, do you guys think that the dimensions of the neck heel or neck pocket were modified to facilitate this.... or do you think they made that modification within the already established measurements? I dont know if anyones gotten their hands on one yet to say but was curious.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
theres also a possible second issue on further review. I noticed that the string spacing on the ET is 10.2mm instead of the normal 10.8mm, so Im not sure if that also means they cut the nut differently from the RGDR4427fx with the Gibraltar brdge

Reaction score
fair point
Ibanez changes the body routing of a guitar when going from 22 to 24 frets within the same body shape.

Regarding the nut width, by itself may not be a problem, but it might change the neck's width at the body joint, making both necks incompatible...

Again, only with both guitars side by side. Until I'm just guessing...

')