Regret Guitar please help!

TheBlackBeltGuitarist

RIP Erwin Carpio
Reaction score
Hey guys :) I just bought a steve smyth 7 string from bc rich guitars , I have to say its the most beautiful guitar ive ever seen. But most people say I made a mistake buying it , I still have a chance to trade it for a jeff loomis (normal) or the v version. I have been offered a ec407 aswell. My guitar teacher said he would trade a mark Rizzo 7 for it aswell. So should I do this? is the steve smyth better , crunchier or any of the above thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
If you're happy with it and it suits your needs fvck what other people think about it.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
Yeah man if you like it by all means keep it. Doesn't matter if other people don't like it, everyone has different preferences. So at the end of the day, it's up to you. Best of luck with your decision!

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
As stated above who cares what other people think, if you dig it then keep it! If not try the other guitars you can trade it for and go with your favourite.

Reaction score
Can't be that bad if so many people (including your instructor) would trade for it.

TheBlackBeltGuitarist

RIP Erwin Carpio
Reaction score
You guys are right , I love the guitar itself , :metal: But I was only thinking if the others sounded better since I have not tried them

stevexc

Reaction score
Any sound differences between yours and the other trade options will be minimal and easily changed. All of those guitars use EMGs - the same ones, if I'm not mistaken - so they'll all have a very similar character to their sound.

I personally would only have picked a different guitar because I'm not a fan of the overall quality of BC Rich guitars - but if this guitar feels great to you then that is entirely irrelevant.

Enjoy your new 7 - and regardless of what may or may not be "better", you still have a very unique looking, classy instrument to be proud of. It'll set you apart from the millions of black RGs and KM-7s out there!

TheBlackBeltGuitarist

RIP Erwin Carpio
Reaction score
Thank you :) one last question.. This was my first 7 string so I am not really familiar with 7's. Whats the difference between a 700 emgs dualed or a 700 and a 81 , also the one I have its been switched so the bridge pickup and the other one have been switched , that's what steve smyth wanted. I traded my dean razorback and a ltd horizon for it (incase anyone wanted to know) thank you :D

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Haha sounds like they're saying "Dude you made a huge mistake! You need to trrade that to me right away..." haha

Edit: Personally I love the shape of the mark Rizzo 7 since its basically the same as Chuck's stealth guitar but with 7 string and 2 pickups. Your guitar is worth a lot more though.

stevexc

Reaction score
Thank you :) one last question.. This was my first 7 string so I am not really familiar with 7's. Whats the difference between a 700 emgs dualed or a 700 and a 81 , also the one I have its been switched so the bridge pickup and the other one have been switched , that's what steve smyth wanted. I traded my dean razorback and a ltd horizon for it (incase anyone wanted to know) thank you :D

Tone... different pickups sound different, even within the same brand, contrary to what some people believe :p Not here so much, fortunately.

It sounds like you're leading yourself down an incorrect chain of though with the "700 emgs dualed or a 700 and a 81" thing, though. Think of each pickup position seperately for now. an EMG 707 in one position will sound different than an EMG 81-7 in the same position. But having a 707 in both positions won't have a different tone in the bridge position than having a 707 in bridge and an 81-7 in the neck, follow me?

The way EMGs work it's easy enough to pop the pickup out and replace it with a different EMG so you can easily tell if you prefer the 707 in bridge or in the neck. If it turns out you prefer one pickup in both positions you can always buy another. Plus if you wanted you could grab one of the other EMGs and put that in - the 81/85 combo is pretty popular, but the 57/66 combo is gaining steam. Jeff Loomis has switched to it, for one, and I think Devin Townsend is too when he's not using his new custom ones.

And you traded a Horizon for it? Gah, the ESP fanboy in my disapproves, haha :p

TheBlackBeltGuitarist

RIP Erwin Carpio
Reaction score
Thank you man :) I understand , I like the tone of the guitar , I feel like its right and its what steve smyth used for some nevermore songs I believe , its just that the sound is really bassful rather than a sharp shredding sound. Which is fine for me ..

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I have to say its the most beautiful guitar ive ever seen.

On top of that ^, it is a maple neck through a mahogany body, Ebony fretboard, EMG's, Original Floyd, and Grover Tuners. That's nothing to sneeze at. It's not like the other guitars mentioned are rockin' better specs than yours, so fvck them and stick to your guns. :metal:

The EC407 is a bit headstock heavy, so the neck dives a little. The Mark Rizzo 7 has the same specs, basically the same guitar with a different shape.:scratch:

And congrats on your guitar, it looks awesome!

Alikingravi

Reaction score
Keep it dude! As for other people, I would only listen to their opinion, try to find wisdom in it and then go for what I want.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Keep it dude!
Why people would want to trade with you a guitar they think is worse than what they have?
Why should the Rizzo fit you better than the Smyth? (Both great guitars, mind you)

If you want to listen to some suggestions...take the ones from people that can't take advantages of your decisions ;)

SkyIllusion

Maine Music Teacher
Reaction score
Don't do it. Just keep the guitar. If you're questioning whether or not you should trade it you're just trying to convince yourself. If you like it and you dig it don't worry about what other people think.

Plus sound comes down to a lot of different stuff; not just the guitar you have. I read a really awesome article by a guy named Benn Jordan (The Flashbulb) and he was talking about the time it really takes to learn how to use a piece of gear and make it do what you want. I'd advise spending some time with it and then you can really decide if you want to keep it.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
As for your EMG questions, most people use the 707's for both positions or 707 neck and 81-7 bridge. The 707 has a much more rounded tone than the 81-7. The 81-7 has sharp highs which is good for pinch harmonics, but gives that classic "EMG" sound that some people hate.

I haven't tried the 57/66 combo yet, but I have a new Schecter JL-7 on order, and I can't wait to try them out.

If you are interested in changing your tone, there are a lot of A/B soundclips on this forum if you do some searching. I would start by checking out the Seymour Duncan Blackouts or an 18v mod.

Latest posts

')