Religion really does drive people looney.

• Thread starter Mastodon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
Bump. Set. Spike. :lol:

*tips cap in noodles' direction* :D

I actually thought the book was rather good, especially placed in the context of its time period. :lol: I could see it making a horrific movie though. :/

(course, personally I think Moby Dick is head and shoulders above anything else in the American literary canon for YEARS after its publication...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
I actually thought the book was rather good, especially placed in the context of its time period. :lol: I could see it making a horrific movie though.

I thought it was a boring read, but an excellent piece of historical fiction that gives you a good view into the Puritan world view of the time period. Then again, I find most of the "classics" to be pretty boring reads.

(course, personally I think Moby Dick is head and shoulders above anything else in the American literary canon for YEARS after its publication...)

I see your "Moby Dick" and raise you "Call of the Wild".

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
I thought it was a boring read, but an excellent piece of historical fiction that gives you a good view into the Puritan world view of the time period. Then again, I find most of the "classics" to be pretty boring reads.

I see your "Moby Dick" and raise you "Call of the Wild".

I haven't read "Call of the Wild" since i was like 12. I'll give it another look, I don't remember a god damned thing about it. My thing for Moby Dick, however, is I can't think of anything before maybe Thomas Pynchon who can touch it on a structural level - it's like metafiction before there WAS metafiction.

I just thought the characterization was surprisingly three dimensional for its era. Not that it WAS three-dimensional, but that it was a heck of a lot closer than one would expect of a novel written in such a moralistic society.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
I haven't read "Call of the Wild" since i was like 12. I'll give it another look, I don't remember a god damned thing about it. My thing for Moby Dick, however, is I can't think of anything before maybe Thomas Pynchon who can touch it on a structural level - it's like metafiction before there WAS metafiction.

While it is nowhere near as complex, it is one of those "feel good" stories before such a concept came along and gave it a bad name. How many authors can write a story about a dog, without completely turning into some Disney-esque fluff piece with a dog that can talk/rationalize within it's own head? Jack London managed to ride that line that kept the story very emotional and human, while never letting you forget that it was just an animal, albeit a quite remarkable one. The main character embarks upon a journey filled with injustice and challenge, and becomes stronger for it, overcoming everything thrown in his way. The ending is joyful, yet heart wrenching, all at the same time. I've probably read it ten times, and I enjoy the hell out of it every time.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i remember reading that one myself, and thinking that it wasn't too bad. i didn't enjoy it that much, however, since i was forced to read it in school, and i had a certain time alotted to finish it. reading on my own time is much better. maybe i'll also take another swing at that one.

Latest posts

')