Remember that 15-year-old girl who opened for Steve Vai?

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Her name is Orianthi and she's turned into Miley Cyrus. Miley Cyrus with ridiculous guitar fills, granted, but it's still kinda random. Take a look:

She was actually Michael Jackson's guitarist for that tour he had planned before he kicked it so she's done pretty well for herself, especially considering her age, but I don't really get how an A&R guy can hear instrumental guitar-wank and think radio-pop. Maybe Rusty Cooley can score a gig with the Jonas Brothers or something:lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Well, she's not 15 :lol: she's like early 20's, but yeah. I read about her in Guitar Player back around '05 and she's been doing pretty well for herself since then.

Reaction score
Awesome. It satisfies my need for good guitar work and gently caresses the small part of my brain that likes mindless pop songs.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, yeah, but she was 15 when she opened for Vai ie when pretty much anyone here would have first found out about her:lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good talent gone to waste, IMO. While she'll probably be a lot more successful in this format, I don't think she'll ever get the apprecation for her skills that she probably deserves, if that makes any sense. :shrug:

I'd play the hell out of the bedazzled PRS, though. :lol:

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
I thought the 15 year old girl who opened for Vai was this chick:

Who actually isn't doing pop punk shit, so I was a little surprised :D

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Thomas McRocklin?

:scratch:

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
i can not believe that all what could be achieved by her "management team" was to turn her into some kind of pop thing....i guess some people see $$$ before anything else!!!

Tyrant

Reaction score
She looks/sounds like she can actually play so it sucks what she has turned into (im reffereing to the pop video in the first post).

Reaction score
She was actually Michael Jackson's guitarist for that tour he had planned before he kicked it so she's done pretty well for herself, especially considering her age, but I don't really get how an A&R guy can hear instrumental guitar-wank and think radio-pop. Maybe Rusty Cooley can score a gig with the Jonas Brothers or something:lol:

You must be crazy. Her phrasing is way better than Rusty's :lol:

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
cool generic wank with generic pop, what a great combo! :ugh:

I'd do her though.:lol:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Her phrasing was better than Rusty's, though the quality of her music was about on par with his :lol:

I'd take that PRS she has and sell it on in an instant though :D

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
Good on her, if she's going to make a lucrative living with music through her image as well as her chops, then more power to her. She's making a living with music. I'm sure someone is writing her stuff for her, but that's still pretty rad she can do that. I mean I wouldn't listen to this stuff and would change the channel if it came on the radio, but the solo in the middle was pretty cool, tapping and harmonics in a bubblegum pop song. gnarly.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Her name is Orianthi and she's turned into Miley Cyrus. Miley Cyrus with ridiculous guitar fills, granted, but it's still kinda random. Take a look:

Wow! The solo rips but the pop vocals are generic and really suck.

lurgar

Reaction score
I kinda like it in a guilty pleasure way.

')