Remember that 15-year-old girl who opened for Steve Vai?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Btw everyone who sits here focusing on her age + boobies is just as bad as the people who made her famous for it. :rolleyes:

If she had a penis you guys would all just say hes a competent guitarist if mention em at all.

bluffalo

Reaction score
I thought the 15 year old girl who opened for Vai was this chick:

Who actually isn't doing pop punk shit, so I was a little surprised :D

thats what I thought too, unless the MJ girl played with vai too. yasi is really good. she has a newer video too, and she looks "more mature" :yesway:

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
You know, John Mayer was doing a Stevie Ray Vaughan cover/tribute thing around Atlanta when he got "discovered" by the scouts. They saw his cheekbones, curls & lips and made him into a teeny-boy pop idol. Then after he made a pile of money and generated some influence, he told 'em to fuck off, he was a guitar player and he was going to play rock and roll.... his main problem now is boinking too many beautiful women to even see straight, but he'll get over it.

He's still keeping some pop in there to keep making money, and it's not something I would ever buy or spend time learning, but he's a huge influence in getting young kids to pick up a real guitar and you got to respect that at the very least.

I doubt Orianthi is ever going to stop playing just to be a teeny-girl, you can't get that good without physically and mentally loving it. At least she doesn't sing like Betty Boop, the way Mayer still does....:lol:

(If she offered you a job in her band, would you turn it down so as to not compromise your principles?) :nuts:

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
You know, John Mayer was doing a Stevie Ray Vaughan cover/tribute thing around Atlanta when he got "discovered" by the scouts. They saw his cheekbones, curls & lips and made him into a teeny-boy pop idol. Then after he made a pile of money and generated some influence, he told 'em to fuck off, he was a guitar player and he was going to play rock and roll.... his main problem now is boinking too many beautiful women to even see straight, but he'll get over it.

He's still keeping some pop in there to keep making money, and it's not something I would ever buy or spend time learning, but he's a huge influence in getting young kids to pick up a real guitar and you got to respect that at the very least.

I doubt Orianthi is ever going to stop playing just to be a teeny-girl, you can't get that good without physically and mentally loving it. At least she doesn't sing like Betty Boop, the way Mayer still does....:lol:

(If she offered you a job in her band, would you turn it down so as to not compromise your principles?) :nuts:

But to me even John Mayer's pop stuff is well written.

Songs like Waiting on the World to Change and Belief (both as poppy as it gets) still have a feeling of thoughtful songwriting and originality. Interesting riffs that border on Jazz or Blues and tasty melodic solos. IMO there really is no one who writes pop/adult alternative like John Mayer. I despise pop but I still love listening and playing those songs :p

But Orianthi's pop sounds like she took a kelly clarkson/avril lavigne song and added some blues licks and a shred solo. :noplease:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score

The thing is though, that most metal players dont understand usually.. is some people actually LIKE the pop stuff. I LOVE all of John Mayers stuff, his pop stuff straight to his Trio stuff.. And honestly, if given the opportunity, hell yah I would do a similar style thing! Mayer has it made, doing pretty awesome pop songs to get rich and fund his jazz trio.. Can't get any better than that!

I have been in some pretty pop/indie bands lately, and I honestly dont understand why any kind of pop at all is considered "selling out"... Sure, theres ULTRA-produced stuff that you can just tell a record label made, like Lady GaGa and that kinda stuff, But theres TONS of great pop music out there which is really good music.

I believe that ANY genre can have Good music.. Even Rap, Country, Pop, Gospel, whatever. You just have to find it. Even if something is on the Radio or TV, It doesnt mean it instantly sucks.

This girl, I would actually possibly get her CD if I found it, and to be 100% honest I dont find her that hot.. Im not a fan of blondes really, but her songs are alright IMO.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
The thing is though, that most metal players dont understand usually.. is some people actually LIKE the pop stuff. I LOVE all of John Mayers stuff, his pop stuff straight to his Trio stuff.. And honestly, if given the opportunity, hell yah I would do a similar style thing! Mayer has it made, doing pretty awesome pop songs to get rich and fund his jazz trio.. Can't get any better than that!

I have been in some pretty pop/indie bands lately, and I honestly dont understand why any kind of pop at all is considered "selling out"... Sure, theres ULTRA-produced stuff that you can just tell a record label made, like Lady GaGa and that kinda stuff, But theres TONS of great pop music out there which is really good music.

I believe that ANY genre can have Good music.. Even Rap, Country, Pop, Gospel, whatever. You just have to find it. Even if something is on the Radio or TV, It doesnt mean it instantly sucks.

This girl, I would actually possibly get her CD if I found it, and to be 100% honest I dont find her that hot.. Im not a fan of blondes really, but her songs are alright IMO.

+1 John Mayer is my desktop wallpaper :shred:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a fan of pop stuff but if a record company handed me a deal saying they were making the most sell out-tastic band ever made and they wanted me to play guitar in it and make shittons of cash and invaluable exposure I wouldn't even think twice about it. So I can't blame the girl.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Its not even that, You can tell by just listening to this girls songs on that CD, It is NOT total record label produced shit.. There is lots of stuff on there.. Maybe the single is poppy, but thats standard for ANY band to release their most public friendly song, Doesnt even mean its a bad song, I like the pop song in the first post better than the song posted on this page.

When you sign a big label contract and do a more "radio friendly" album, doesnt automatically mean its going to suck balls. Esp if the girl plays all her own parts, writes a good majority of it, and sings herself.. Then thats all killer. The only beef I have is singers who dont do any writing, but just sit in the room and sign legal papers saying they wrote it so they get royalties, and use autotune for 99% of the album.. If any artist actually plays and writes most of their songs, you gotta give them props.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
You guys are such sexists :D

Get over the fact that a female can play guitar and you'll find it pretty generic. I like that she plays assertively, but that's all.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
At the vid in the original post, what the hell is the point? It's just another pop song that every half minute or so has one fast, good guitar part.

If they cut out everything but the guitar solos, it'd be nice, but I don't understand why you'd get to be able to play those solos, and then slam out 4 chord songs with random fast guitar lines.

Ability=yeah, pretty nice lead lines
Creativity/actual worth (imo)=Not in this lifetime.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
YUCK. That chord progression should be made illegal so we can clean up the goddamn airwaves. Great player but seriously shut up

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the 15 year old girl who opened for Vai was this chick:

Who actually isn't doing pop punk shit, so I was a little surprised :D

Me too, here's another video by her.

Now why do I suddenly want to be the upper horn of a double-cut guitar? What, did I say that out loud :scratch: I'll get my coat...

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Everybody should really get over the fact that women have boobs. Puberty was (for most of you at least) quite a while ago, so you can't blame raging hormones for sounding like a horny stupid 14 year old. Just because a women pops up, breasts don't have to be mentioned a million times. We know they're there. Get over it.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
^Sorry but they are extremely relevant no matter what you say.

FACT = there are more male guitarists than female ones

FACT = guys like girls

Put the two facts together and you get a thread like this. Not a huge deal, its just nature. So please chillax with the "sexism" bullshit.

On Topic- i haven't heard of this "Yasi" chick but i like her phrasing and she has nice tequnique. Yes there are better players in the world, but who cares, its what I'm listening to right now, and I'm enjoying it. :yesway:

dnoel86

Reaction score
to be 100% honest I dont find her that hot.. Im not a fan of blondes really

She needs a damn haircut.

Back on topic, I kinda like her stuff, but I've always been a sucker for any even remotely technical players in the pop genre. She's a pretty decent player, there's no doubt about that.

Latest posts

')