Removing marker from guitar finish

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying an Ibanez that has some signatures and such written on it in with what appears to be a white paint marker or pen. What's the best method for safely removing said writing without damaging / altering the finish?

Here's a picture for some reference:

Untitled-6.jpg

Yes, I know it's heresy to remove Paul's signature and stuff, but it's been signed by him on the back previously and I really, REALLY don't like anything obstructing that gorgeous finish.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
TRY THIS ON SOMETHING ELSE FIRST!

But I found that the best way to remove sharpie and other permenant markings is with an Expo or any other dry rease marker.

I have no idea why it works, but it does. You write on stuff with sharpie, let it dry, color over it with the expo marker, and erase. The original markings will be removed with it.

I am NOT 100% sure that it will work on that white marker though. That's why I suggest trying on something else first!

I would hate it if I were the one who gave you the idea that ruined a beautiful PGM90 :(

ECGuitars

Reaction score
That's most likely a polyurethane finish so a small bit of lacquer thinner on a rag would take the marker right off. Don't quote me on that though, find out the type of finish before taking any chemicals to it

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Permanent markers are alcohol based. I regularly use isopropyl or methylated spirits to remove permanent marker. A small amount on some tissue and it wipes off. However paint marker may need something a little more heavy duty. If you do try alcohol, test it somewhere inconspicuous first yo make sure it doesn't cloud your clear, I highly doubt it would. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.

DTSH

Reaction score
Rubbing alcohol should work fine, but yeah, test it out first. You can also just try using a slightly damp cloth... most of the time finishes are smooth enough that sharpie will come right off.

Gregori

Reaction score
You have a PGM sig model with Paul Gilbert's signature....and you want to remove it?! The top on that guitar isn't even nice!

As others have said, alcohol will take it right off. I'm sure it's some sort of poly finish, do it should be impervious to it.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I can see removing the to steve, unless of course you are a bloke named steve. If that were the case then you'd be removing destiny, not steve.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
You have a PGM sig model with Paul Gilbert's signature....and you want to remove it?!.

I DON'T have a PGM90, I'm just considering buying that one. Also, like I said earlier, it has his signature and some doodles on the back as well. I just don't like top finishes covered in writing and whatnot.

I may hold out for a cleaner, better condition PGM90, who knows. Thanks for the advice regardless, guys.

')