Removing Noise

• Thread starter monstermanoxar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if there a vst available out there that allows me to sample noise (from my pickups) and remove it from the chain completely in real time ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meambobbo

Reaction score
i don't think that works like that. one sample of noise isn't going to match any other sample of noise - noise is randomness. You are left with noise gates and reduction algorithms. I know Cubase 5 comes with VST's for each of these. Not sure what else or if there's anything free out there.

tedtan

Reaction score
Yes, there are a number of plugs that do this, but they are typically pretty expensive. For free, look into the Reaper plugins which you can download as VSTs here REAPER | ReaPlugs. Once you have installed these, select ReaFIR and set the mode to subtract.

Just be careful - these type of plugs can easily destroy the tone leaving you with a weird, robotic effect kind of like a vocoder. So increase the sensitivity until you hear audible side effects and then back off some.

Plant

Reaction score
Waves x- and z- noise suppressors work just fine. But, as tedtan mentioned, they are rather pricey.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
ReaFir has helped me countless times on film work, and also does a pretty good job on guitar. However, don't expect it to remove it completely (you can alter the reduciton with ctrl+drag). Usually I map the profile until it's silent, then fade it up until the tone starts to sound bad. There will still be some noise but it's a big improvement. Rely on a gate for the rest. EQ first in the chain can be good for specific spikes too (often I find my noise is 5k, 10k, etc and tight bands there do help).

')