Replace Tone Knob with something more interesting!

Curtis1

Reaction score
So on my guitars i always disconnect the tone knob, i do so to brighten up the top end on my tone as i never use the knob.

I am thinking as my next project to make the tone knob into something more interesting! For example a kill switch or some kind of booster etc.

What do you guys think would be a cool thing that would be relatively simple to fit instead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ugly_guitar_guy

True Djentleman
Reaction score
Zvex SHO is a wicked easy build on a super tiny board, and would be a cool booster at your finger tips. Kill switches are meh to me. Hardly worth the effort.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
avoid the guitarheads capacitor OD thing - i tried it and while it works, it'd not a very desireable tone - useless for any kind of boosting

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I've been swapping my tone pots for series/parallel switching for the neck pup. Amazing cleans can be had in parallel mode.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Tone Styler! It's so much more versatile than a regular tone knob and it has a fully bypassed setting. I've never touched my tone knob until I installed one... now I actually use it all the time.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
I've been swapping my tone pots for series/parallel switching for the neck pup. Amazing cleans can be had in parallel mode.

This. Put in a 3-way switch and you can get a series/split/parallel setup going. Pretty easy to wire, and it will open up whole new worlds of tonal possibilities.
If you're a bit more adventurous, Guitar Fetish sells these things called Modboards which are onboard effects units. MODboards I have no idea how they sound, but I've been very curious about these for a while.

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
+1 on the tone styler. I have 2 on my carvin dc727 and i use them quite frequently. I love the sound i can get with them!

ihunda

Reaction score
One of my tonepot on a lespaul is a push/push wired to an onboard Naga Viper (treble booster from catalinbread).

Being based on just one transistor, a 9v battery will last years even with the guitar always pluggin in. The pot controls the amount of treble boost.

Love it, no need for a tubescreamer in front of the amp anymore :fawk:

')