Replacement for Shecter 8

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a decent 7 or 8 string guitar, I have a schecter damien elite 8 for about a year now and have been a little disappointed with it (I tried gutting it and swapping out the stock pups for passive dimarzio's which didn't help much). I also have a late 80's kramer striker custom 2 which I much prefer. For some reason the schecter seems to be muddy and bright all at the same time? Also it's not enticing enough in the sustain category. The kramer has great sustain and really clear and easy to use.

So I have been looking around, I can't get Agile's in the UK so that's out. Ibanez in my own experience have been hit and miss, so any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mike90t09

Reaction score
What about ESP? They make great 7 strings, not sure about the new 8 strings they put out but you could look into those.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion...

Been looking at the ESP EC-1000, it seems I'm not a fan of EMG pups.. so I was looking at the VB Duncan.

Oh Budget is £850 / $1350

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
I have an EC-1000. Love that guitar, feels amazing and sounds the same. My fav. 6 stringer I have for sure. If you aren't into EMG's maybe get one and swap the pickups for D-Activators or BKP's.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
I have an EC-1000. Love that guitar, feels amazing and sounds the same. My fav. 6 stringer I have for sure. If you aren't into EMG's maybe get one and swap the pickups for D-Activators or BKP's.

Kool, I know this guitar isn't a 7 or 8 string.. So how low can you go on the tuning? If I can get it down to A without it going weird (I've done this with another guitar and sounds great).. Then I'm sold.

P.S for anyone else, not fussed if it's a 6 string that loves low tunings or baritones either.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Kool, I know this guitar isn't a 7 or 8 string.. So how low can you go on the tuning? If I can get it down to A without it going weird (I've done this with another guitar and sounds great).. Then I'm sold.

P.S for anyone else, not fussed if it's a 6 string that loves low tunings or baritones either.

I tune mine to Drop C. I know it can do Drop B no problem but I haven't tried A.

makesexnotwar

Reaction score
When I was completely disapointed with my schecter blackjack c-8 I ordered RAN Crusher 7. It should arrive soon.

Semichastny

Reaction score
To be honest 6's can go pretty low but you will have a very hard time getting a good sound out of them a 25.5" scale requires massive strings to get a usable tone.

Edit: If you can't get an agile in the UK you can always contribute here until you are qualified to buy from the marketplace set up in the forum Agiles come up there all the time.

Semichastny

Reaction score
How low we talking? Whilst still useable?

Some people have pushed their 6's down to G# and still had an understandable tone but they generally have Amp Sims and modern pick ups designed for lower tunings. Some people have disappointed by schecter 8's and their are a whole bunch of them used on ebay, but I wouldn't let that color your view of all 8's, their short scales and wide necks have not been without criticism. A sc-608B with a La Bella .078" string for F# would probably satisfy you.

Reaction score
The EC-1000 has a 24.75" scale, so extra-low tunings will get very muddy and super thick strings will have to be used. I'd also say to check out the SC series with extended scales.

robintpup2

Reaction score
Well, i'm in the UK and my agile turned out fine... i'd recommend going for one if you've done the research on the specs!