Replacement pickups for Strandberg OS7?

• Thread starter jzucker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jzucker

Reaction score
I want something more vintage sounding than the EMG 707 pickups. Was thinking about the dimarzio PAF 7 string pickup but being angled the pole pieces won't line up and not sure how they'll fit into the route...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Have you thought about the EMG 57/66 set? They'll be a drop-in replacement and are much more versatile than the 707 set. The bridge is voiced like a hot rodded PAF and the neck is great for cleans and leads alike.

The Dimarzio set will fit physically in the routes, but will have a small gap all around them. This can be fixed by putting a plastic EMG-style cover over them.

Seymour Duncan makes many of their passive pickups in soapbar covers if the aesthetic bothers you. The Pegasus/Sentient is popular around here. BKP does soapbar covers as well.

I wouldn't worry about the pole pieces lining up perfectly. I've seen plenty of people use regular pickups in fanned fret guitars and none of them have mentioned issues with uneven output or anything.

julez

Reaction score
12710716_1115749631802812_7852297698935284746_o.jpg

There is also the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop. They can produce every humbucker you want to in soapbar style housing and aligned polepieces for the strandberg.

jzucker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I'm not a big fan of the hot-rodded PAF pickups in general though I've not heard the 57s. I'd consider putting the 66 in both positions if the pole pieces would line up. Is the 57 spaced slightly wider for bridge position?

Have you thought about the EMG 57/66 set? They'll be a drop-in replacement and are much more versatile than the 707 set. The bridge is voiced like a hot rodded PAF and the neck is great for cleans and leads alike.

The Dimarzio set will fit physically in the routes, but will have a small gap all around them. This can be fixed by putting a plastic EMG-style cover over them.

Seymour Duncan makes many of their passive pickups in soapbar covers if the aesthetic bothers you. The Pegasus/Sentient is popular around here. BKP does soapbar covers as well.

I wouldn't worry about the pole pieces lining up perfectly. I've seen plenty of people use regular pickups in fanned fret guitars and none of them have mentioned issues with uneven output or anything.

Hbett

Reaction score
I have a Pegasus/sentient set in mine that I adore. I much prefer them over 707's. Way more versatile, way more texture.

dadam

Reaction score
I have a Pegasus/sentient set in mine that I adore. I much prefer them over 707's. Way more versatile, way more texture.

I'm strongly considering doing this to mine. Do you have your's coil split? I'm mainly interested in single coil clean/overdriven tones but all demonstrations of those pickups I've found have been metal demos. I'd love to hear clips if you have any.

Hbett

Reaction score
I'm strongly considering doing this to mine. Do you have your's coil split? I'm mainly interested in single coil clean/overdriven tones but all demonstrations of those pickups I've found have been metal demos. I'd love to hear clips if you have any.

I do actually have mine coil split, though I don't use it often. I don't have any clips of the top of my head, and I doubt I'll have the time to make one soon, sorry.

boogie2

Reaction score
I want something more vintage sounding than the EMG 707 pickups. Was thinking about the dimarzio PAF 7 string pickup but being angled the pole pieces won't line up and not sure how they'll fit into the route...

The EMG 57/66 set is a good upgrade from the 707's. I didn't find that the pole piece spacing made any difference. These are warmer and more dynamic that the 707s and clean up very nicely. I did miss the ability to get tapped sounds.

I currently have a set of bareknuckle blackhawks installed. They seem like nice pups (and coil tap beautifully) but are too bright in the Ash/maple combo body for my taste. I think they'd be perfect in mahogany. I'm trying to decide if I switch to a Pegasus sentient combo, or just go back to the EMG's.

')