Replacing 707's with passives, HELP

• Thread starter ShreddyDjents
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm buying a Jackson Soloist 7 string very soon, and i plan to immediately replace the 707s equipped on it with Bareknuckles, Lungdrens, something along those lines!
Is there any trouble that i might come across switching these pickups, in terms of the fit or anything like that? Also any suggestions on some other good pickups i can run onto this guitar?! High gain with lots of clarity, sounds organic, and rings out every note in a chord in a real saturated setting! Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can run pickups under the EMG covers which is a mod a lot of people do on here. OR you can get pickup rings that mount on the inside of the EMG route allowing you to mount pickups.

Reaction score
The rings sound like a good option but ill save it for last because of some tonal preferences i have, but do the covers interfere with the pickups tonality in any way, like the materials in any sort?

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The rings sound like a good option but ill save it for last because of some tonal preferences i have, but do the covers interfere with the pickups tonality in any way, like the materials in any sort?

They're a plastic of some kind and thus wouldn't interfere. However you would probably want to run the pups closer to the strings.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
I've had guitars with all of the pickups you mentioned. They're all pickups of a high standard. You could save some money and effort by sticking with the 707's.

As djpharoah says, EMG "look" covers can be found, I think someone posted a link on the forum on another EMG thread. Search eBay or Google. If you go with the plastic covers, rather than dismantling your EMG's, you could sell the 707's.

The Lundgren M7 is a cool pickup, but they use a different bobbin material and shape to most, so you'll want to cover it anyway, if you go with a different brand neck pickup. It's a great pickup, for sure, but I don't know if it's worth a lot of money for the difference between a 707.

Sorry I can't be more definite about the sound, just wanted to add the bit about the plastic covers to help you out.

pac1085

Reaction score
Just so you know, passives are wider than 707's so you'd have to cut some wood out of the body to get them to fit. Unless you remove the mounting tabs and figure out a different way to mount them....

BabUShka

Reaction score
Are you sure?
My EMG707 are larger than the stock Ibanez pickups in my S, but the width seems to be pretty much the same.
If you really dont want the 707, then pickup rings seems to be the best solution imo,.. I kinda like the look of those rings.. :)
But if I were you, i would give the 707's a try before doing something drastic. Great pickups imo. Far better than anything else I've tried of EMG.
Lots of clarity, screamin leads and good cleans.

pac1085

Reaction score
The pickup bobbins themselves aren't wider, it's the tabs that stick out of the side that make it wider.

I put passives in my Loomis at one point and had to cut the tabs off the pickup since I didn't want to cut into the wood.

Also, you'll have large gaps on both sides of the pickup, since the 707 is wider than the bobbins (but not the tabs) on passives.

If you look thru my old posts you'll see pics of the loomis with a crunchlab in it...and what I'm talking about.

Latest posts

')