Replacing Edge Zero II-7 with Original Floyd Rose 7

ibby94

Reaction score
Hey people!

I've got a bit of an issue. I want to know whether the Edge Zero II-7 tremolo on an Indonesian Ibanez RG7420 can be replaced with an Original Floyd Rose 7 string or at least a Floyd Rose Special. I don't mind taking it to a luthier and doing some routing etc.

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeSunset

Reaction score
major surgery...

but yeah - everything is possible (thinking about the same thing at the moment)

beyondcosmos

Reaction score
The dimensions of the neck are fine, and as far as I know the tremolo cavity is of adequate size since the Edge bridges have always been larger than OFR-7 (except for the cruddy Lo-TRS that was on the original RG7420, those sucked). The only concern I think you'll have will be the positioning of the drills for the posts as they are at different spots on the OFR-7 as opposed to all Edge tremolos.

ibby94

Reaction score
The dimensions of the neck are fine, and as far as I know the tremolo cavity is of adequate size since the Edge bridges have always been larger than OFR-7 (except for the cruddy Lo-TRS that was on the original RG7420, those sucked). The only concern I think you'll have will be the positioning of the drills for the posts as they are at different spots on the OFR-7 as opposed to all Edge tremolos.

Ah thanks for the replies! I was getting worried cause a lot of people told me that the bridges on the Indonesian Ibbys rust quickly.

beyondcosmos

Reaction score
I wouldn't know about the rust as I've never owned one, but I can say that they go out of tune easily. Small-range dives and pull-ups that an OFR-7 or an Edge Pro / Lo Pro could handle easily will knock the G and low B strings out of tune fairly easily. It's not a huge deal if you don't use the tremolo that much, but if you incorporate huge range tremolo use into your playing then you will probably experience this.

All the best with the modification!