Replacing Electronics on MIJ Ibanez RG 7420. Here's what I'm ordering:

• Thread starter Reverend Kane
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

It looks like all of these will fit my guitar, just wanted your input:

Pots - do I need split or solid shaft? I'm thinking I need 500k:
CTS Control Pots | stewmac.com

Output Jack - going with stereo:
Switchcraft Output Jack | stewmac.com

Switch:
Megaswitch P-Model | stewmac.com

I'd prefer a 3-Way switch, but not seeing it on the website with the specs I think will be needed for this guitar. Maybe this one instead:

DiMarzio 3-Way Pickup Selector Switch | Musician's Friend

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions! Appreciate it greatly!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
Is this for passives or actives? If passives:

As far as the pots, split or solid shaft really isn't "super" important. Take a knob off and see what ya have and grab the same thing if you want to play it safe. I'd be more worried about long or short shaft. 9 times outta 10, I've needed long. 500k would be fine, 250k if your replacing tone too.

You'll need a mono output jack.

I'm not sure what pups you are using (stocks or new), or what configuration you want to do, but while I think the DiMarzio 3 way is a little costly, I have two of them and they have held up nicely.

Reaction score
Is this for passives or actives? If passives:

As far as the pots, split or solid shaft really isn't "super" important. Take a knob off and see what ya have and grab the same thing if you want to play it safe. I'd be more worried about long or short shaft. 9 times outta 10, I've needed long. 500k would be fine, 250k if your replacing tone too.

You'll need a mono output jack.

I'm not sure what pups you are using (stocks or new), or what configuration you want to do, but while I think the DiMarzio 3 way is a little costly, I have two of them and they have held up nicely.

Thanks for the reply.

Guitar has passive pickups.

I'll remove the knobs, and take a look. I may buy the long and the short, and return whichever one doesn't fit. 250k is what is on the guitar now, and I'm fine with the tone, so I guess I'll go with that.

I'd like to have a simple two way switch, but I want to keep the guitar stock looking as much as possible. I'm paying someone to wire it for me. Maybe he'll know a way to wire the P Switch in that fashion?

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
Just be mindful that you may have to expand the holes to fit non-metric pots.

Yeah your guitar is MIJ so that becomes a serious problem, especially when the controls come out of the guitar's body and not a plastic pickguard like on a Strat or something.

The Japs use metric dimensions (in mm) while the Americans use inches so on a Japanese made guitar you'd actually have to make the holes bigger for the new pots to fit through.

Reaction score
You may already know this, but just in case you don't: if you are like me and never turn your volume or tone pots less than 100%, you really don't need to bother with replacing them.

82DMC12

Reaction score
You may already know this, but just in case you don't: if you are like me and never turn your volume or tone pots less than 100%, you really don't need to bother with replacing them.

I used to re-use the same pots too. However, recently I decided to replace EVERYTHING on a used guitar I picked up, and wow was it easier to wire it up when everything is clean and virgin. Looks fantastic and much less frustrating when everything is new. From Stewmac, the pots are so cheap that in my opinion, it just makes sense to do a full swap.

On an Ibanez, get the Alpha pots (not CTS) and they will be a direct fit for the smaller shaft size.

82DMC12

Reaction score
Yeah your guitar is MIJ so that becomes a serious problem, especially when the controls come out of the guitar's body and not a plastic pickguard like on a Strat or something.

The Japs use metric dimensions (in mm) while the Americans use inches so on a Japanese made guitar you'd actually have to make the holes bigger for the new pots to fit through.

Alpha pots from StewMac are a direct replacement for the metric Ibanez pots. CTS are good too but you have to drill out the body slightly. Alpha = no drill.

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
Alpha pots from StewMac are a direct replacement for the metric Ibanez pots. CTS are good too but you have to drill out the body slightly. Alpha = no drill.

Dude omg that is wonderful news. The whole metric/US standard thing was the ONLY reason preventing me from upgrading all the electronics on my MIJ guitars.

')