Replacing Kahler with Floyd Rose on a neck through guitar.

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
I feel like I"ve seen the opposite asked, but not really Kahler -> Floyd Rose.

I am soon going to receive a custom shop quality guitar that has a Kahler 2300 model. I'm going to try to make it work, but this will actually be the first time I've truly owned a Kahler equipped guitar that is also high enough quality that I have no doubts it's set up correctly....so I'll get to see if I am the majority that will end up preferring a Floyd or not. I've posted many times here that I love Kahler's feel, but we'll see how it is in terms of staying in tune etc.

Now I'm really jumping the gun, but IF i wanted to eventually get a luthier to replace the Kahler with a Floyd, how hard would it be? My main concern is I know specifically this guitar has more neck angle since a Kahler needs it, and most Floyd guitars are straight. Since it's a neckthrough the angle can't be changed, so will this cause headaches? I should probably clarify I'd want a recessed floyd aka it can pull up also.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A bunch of Jacksons (and some Charvels) had this done, so it's definitely doable. You'd just have a topmount Floyd because of the angle.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I feel like I"ve seen the opposite asked, but not really Kahler -> Floyd Rose.

I am soon going to receive a custom shop quality guitar that has a Kahler 2300 model. I'm going to try to make it work, but this will actually be the first time I've truly owned a Kahler equipped guitar that is also high enough quality that I have no doubts it's set up correctly....so I'll get to see if I am the majority that will end up preferring a Floyd or not. I've posted many times here that I love Kahler's feel, but we'll see how it is in terms of staying in tune etc.

Now I'm really jumping the gun, but IF i wanted to eventually get a luthier to replace the Kahler with a Floyd, how hard would it be? My main concern is I know specifically this guitar has more neck angle since a Kahler needs it, and most Floyd guitars are straight. Since it's a neckthrough the angle can't be changed, so will this cause headaches? I should probably clarify I'd want a recessed floyd aka it can pull up also.

Thanks!
There's a lot it depends on things you haven't told us. For example, is this guitar a carved or flattop, which will definitely affect feasibility.

But taking a flattop S-type guitar, for example, so long as you get the right model Kahler, I think a decent solid body luthier should be sble to do the conversion.

Just depends.

jco5055

Reaction score
There's a lot it depends on things you haven't told us. For example, is this guitar a carved or flattop, which will definitely affect feasibility.

But taking a flattop S-type guitar, for example, so long as you get the right model Kahler, I think a decent solid body luthier should be sble to do the conversion.

Just depends.
ah yeah my mistake, but it's a flat top

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ah, so then would it be top mount but able to be pulled up like it's recessed?
Yeah, they'll probably have to cut a recess. I had a guitar that was a Floyd conversion from a Kahler and it ended up with the full-size rout basically going entirely through the body. Depending on how crazy you want to go, you can have it filled and repainted.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since it's a neckthrough the angle can't be changed, so will this cause headaches?
Screenshot_20240726_124215_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jokes aside it sounds doable, I'm just being a smartass lol

That said I have an old G&L Rampage with a Kahler and I really like it. Honestly I like the fine tuners better than all of my Ibanez trems.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Jokes aside it sounds doable, I'm just being a smartass lol

That said I have an old G&L Rampage with a Kahler and I really like it. Honestly I like the fine tuners better than all of my Ibanez trems.
But your smart assery is warranted sir.

I agree with my learned gentleman: a Kahler is a wonderful experience. But its Betamax lost out to the VHSness of the Floyd.

Before you replace it, live with it a while. Then decide.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
But your smart assery is warranted sir.

I agree with my learned gentleman: a Kahler is a wonderful experience. But its Betamax lost out to the VHSness of the Floyd.

Before you replace it, live with it a while. Then decide.
Beta was better than VHS by every metric, but Kahler isn't necessarily better than Floyd.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Beta was better than VHS by every metric, but Kahler isn't necessarily better than Floyd.
It depends how you define "better".

Sure, the market had its say. To be clear, I think it was inevitable that FR would "win" (at least in terms of practicality).

But that's not the point. For me, the Kahler is something unique and, to be fair, arguably superior. Even if, like me, you've worked far more extensively with clasdic Strat, FR or Edge trems, my first experience of a good Kahler was amazing, if only to appreciate the engineering.

I simply advise the OP to be open minded and try something different 🙂

jco5055

Reaction score
i should be clear, I intend to give the Kahler 100% a chance/try, I'm just bored and reallllly jumping the gun on asking if it can be replaced, when I may not even want to change it haha.

In regards to Kahler vs Floyd, I do think it's pretty obvious if someone only cares about staying in tune with the most whammy abuse, Floyd wins. If that isn't the only thing one cares about when it comes to bridges, then it gets more complicated.

It might sound weird, but I imagine Kahler vs Floyd as choosing between two job offers. The tuning stability/whammy abuse ability would be the salary. Many people would choose the job with the higher salary, while others would need to consider all the other stuff and may choose the job with the lower salary.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You'll know once you give a good test!

Who is the maker of the guitar run question?

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I did this. The Floyd was just top-mounted. I used to solder the string windings for Kahler type trems, and don't miss doing it.

Latest posts

')