Replacing stock pickups for a SBMM JP70

• Thread starter Osteoporozis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Osteoporozis

Naive music major
Reaction score
I got my SBMM JP70 in the mail a few weeks back and I'm absolutely loving it, except that the stock pickups are really disappointing. I picked it just based on what a few of my favorite guitarists/bands use, and since that worked so well the first time, I continued with that strategy and essentially came upon Lundgren M7s.

Now, these are currently running about 200 bucks a piece... And as important as the sound is to me, I'm not sure 400 dollars worth of pickups is justified in a 600 dollar guitar. I mean, I guess I do get to keep them and put them in something more expensive, should I ever have the money for that, but then I'm running the chance of not liking a pair of 200 dollar pickups.

So can I get any advice here - something similar to these with a smaller pricetag? Or is this not an abnormal price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
It all really depends on what sound you're looking for as well as what you tune to and what you're playing through rig-wise.

Osteoporozis

Naive music major
Reaction score
Based on reviews and examples they sound like they're what I'm looking for. I don't know if people make knockoffs or anything similar, but I don't exactly need top-of-the-line and that's what these seem to be.

Currently playing out of an Ibanez X Tone Master. It's solid state, but based on reviews it's a pretty good one. It's just what I've got - I'll see about upgrading once I'm happy with my guitar.

trevose

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's about the going rate for Lundgrens.

I had a chance to play a guitar with M7s a while back. I thought they sounded great. That said, they cost 100% more than your average Duncans. If you're familiar with the term "diminishing marginal utility", I think this is a good example of it. That is, you'll see a lot more improvement from the stock pickups to the Duncans than you will from the Duncans to the Lundgrens. The M7s really do sound incredible, though (although the clean was a bit lackluster, but that's not why you get them).

If you want to spend half the cash, people seem to like the SD Distortion 7 for that really tight low-end that the Lundgrens are known for. You might also give the SD Nazgul/Sentient set a shot and maybe try swapping out the 500k pot for a 1-meg to really open them up. Can't say I've tried them, but I've read good things, and I've had good results with 1-meg pots on darker sounding guitars.

Happy tone chasing.

')