Restoring guitar: What bridge and pickups to chose?

• Thread starter mwc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mwc

Reaction score
Hi

I own an old Jackson Kelly and I wanna restore it so I can use it from time to time. The "Jackson Floyd Rose" that's on the guitar stock sucks. I wanna switch to something better but have no idea what would fit. Was thinking off a Gotoh or somewhere in that pricerange.

The pickups that's fitted in the guitar atm is 1 EMG XX (active) and a Levin XX (not plugged in). They will be swapped to high output passive pickups. The first I had in mind was the Seymour Duncan SSH-8B - Invader kit. Anyone that has tried 'em?

If I remember right there's only a volume-knob on it. Any idea what ohm it should be?

Thankfull for any help!

Cheers
// Martin Carlsson.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metaljim

Reaction score
Any pics of the bridge? If it's the same bridge that's on my Jackson PS-4. Then a Schaller floyd rose will be a direct replacement.

mwc

Reaction score
20091005156.jpg

This is a picture of the bridge on my Jackson Kelly.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That looks like a TRS. Maybe replace it with an OFR or Floyd Pro?

Grievous

Reaction score
Thats a jackson JT580lp bridge, they arent too bad for a licensed floyd in my opinion...but the knife edges do wear out, due to it being softer cheaper metal than OFRs. You can do a direct swap with an OFR, but there will be a gap showing. The Schaller licensed floyd fits better, but both will work. I replaced a JT500 on my Jackson with a schaller floyd with no probs. Huge improvement!:shred:

')