Restringing with Locking Tuners

• Thread starter Grooven
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grooven

Reaction score
Just got a guitar with locking tuners,I've watched videos on Youtube but none of them were very specific.I was wondering if someone could give specific instructions so I don't mess up which I have a feeling I will for some reason lol.Btw I just got it so the strings are still new just figured it wouldn't hurt to know ahead of time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

myrtorp

Jiggywiggy
Reaction score
Thats nice man restringing is a breeze with locking tuners, I want them on all my guitars now! I do it the same way as in the vid but I have the guitar infront of me on a table so I drag the string slightly when locking it down.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, just make sure you don't wind the string around the peg, make sure your clamp is tight, and make sure you turn the tuning knob the right direction, and you should be all set. It's amazing how this technology took so long to catch on as little as it has.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
It's amazing how this technology took so long to catch on as little as it has.

I heard these two nonsense reasons a lot when I was first learning guitar:
"The more winds the better tuning stability"
"More winds gives more tone"

Its this kind of thinking that stops simple developments in the guitar industry. Its crazy though since its the exact same process to install. Its not like SS frets which require retooling or shielding cavities. Thankfully everyone is starting to use them now.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, just make sure you don't wind the string around the peg, make sure your clamp is tight, and make sure you turn the tuning knob the right direction, and you should be all set. It's amazing how this technology took so long to catch on as little as it has.

I heard these two nonsense reasons a lot when I was first learning guitar:
"The more winds the better tuning stability"
"More winds gives more tone"

Its this kind of thinking that stops simple developments in the guitar industry. Its crazy though since its the exact same process to install. Its not like SS frets which require retooling or shielding cavities. Thankfully everyone is starting to use them now.

A lot of it had to do with the tuners themselves.

Not too long ago, if you wanted locking tuners you had to either try to find a proprietary set that were taken off of certain, often expensive guitars or buy expensive, long to be delivered Sperzels that didn't always fit.

Eventually Gotoh and Grover came out with aftermarket models, but the Grovers were pretty mediocre in quality and the Gotohs had the silly Magnum I design where you needed tools or a coin.

Now, thanks to Chinese OEMs they're a ton more common and the quality, even on the cheap stuff is decent.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
In the late 90's and early 2000's, I had no trouble getting Sperzels to replace the crumby stock tuners on most of my guitars, but I'll be damned if a single set fit without modification. By the mid-2000's, though, the tuners suddenly seemed nearly unobtainable. But also, there were alternative brands around at that time.

I never understood the trend of a hundred winds. When I first started out, anytime I got more than three winds around a post, out of poor planning, I'd end up with tuning problems. That was a primary motivation for me to make the switch to Sperzels.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I do love locking tuners but use a floyd now with locking nut.

When/If I get another hardtail it will have locking tuners. I always kept a quarter in my case :)

Like others have said, with locking tuners do not wrap the strings around the posts. I do that with my floyd guitar however.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the late 90's and early 2000's, I had no trouble getting Sperzels to replace the crumby stock tuners on most of my guitars, but I'll be damned if a single set fit without modification. By the mid-2000's, though, the tuners suddenly seemed nearly unobtainable. But also, there were alternative brands around at that time.

I never understood the trend of a hundred winds. When I first started out, anytime I got more than three winds around a post, out of poor planning, I'd end up with tuning problems. That was a primary motivation for me to make the switch to Sperzels.

Sperzel was always weird. They'd call the shop asking us to put in orders, practically beg for the business, they'd deliver the big order but if you ever needed a single tuner or a different color or a couple sets it would take months and months and the order would usually be wrong, which meant another three months.

We limped along like that with them for four or five years until the aforementioned Gotohs and Grovers. At that point the Sperzels were objectively better, but the Gotoh weren't terrible.

You can thank the old blues guys for the million winds around the post thing. I know BB King was a big advocate, and when Dan Erlwhine mentioned that in his first setup book it took off. Interestingly, Dan gave it as an example of what not to do. :lol:

Grooven

Reaction score
Yeah I know now lol,loosen string,loosen lock,string thru pull tight then lock and tune up.

Grooven

Reaction score
Thats nice man restringing is a breeze with locking tuners, I want them on all my guitars now! I do it the same way as in the vid but I have the guitar infront of me on a table so I drag the string slightly when locking it down.
Yep can't wait to put some elixirs on it

')