Retubed my 5150 and a teeny weenie distortion on the clean channel

bklixuz

Reaction score
honestly I have just retube today my 5150 with tungsol in v1 and jj's on the rest. I waited when one of the tubes died and sadly... 1 of the 6l6's died. so the amp got pimped! and... YES! I loved the crispiness of the sound! I also changed the speakers on my cab to v30's and g12l's in x pattern. before with the stock tubes I was having a problem of the fat mids it gave but now with jj's and tungsol MaaaaN! does it sound brutal! reminds of of broderick's tone on the blood on the water (<-- yeah im a huge broderick fan)
...and to my prob. theres a small distortion noticeable a couple of meters away even the pre gain at 3. its not a huge problem though but I just want to know if you guys experience the same? I did not have this problem with the stock tubes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenchaos

Reaction score
Tungsol tubes have big gain factory so it's normal that it acts like that.
I got those at my work for my JCM800 and no way that you could have clean sound out of it(like someone uses it, right:D).
Compared to jj's , EH's , sovteks tungsol's are propably most reliable tubes now days and are also good sounding ones.
Their pretty noise-free too so in high gain amps/ Hifi amps their excellent.

bklixuz

Reaction score
yes thank you!
I was a bit worried if it was the speakers shaking that I have not properly tightened it when I changed the speakers on the cab.
thanks for your reply it ended my worries :)

but what tube is an alternative to the tungsol that has its crispiness in the distortion but has good cleans? is there such a tube?

sevenchaos

Reaction score
you can try swapping V1 and V2 tubes etc.
I dont remember exactly how the layout were but pretty sure that V1 is 1st gain stage to all channels, clean and lead.
So you could try tungsol in V2 or V3 position. In there it should affect more or only on lead channel, depending how the amp shares sides of tubes.

Probably some mullard tubes has that crispiness and excellent cleans but are you willing to pay 200 or more bucks for NOS tubes... im sure that im not.
I have used JAN phillips 5751 nos tube in my mesas V1 position and it's excellent in there.
Not so high gain factor that 12ax7/ecc83 has so cleans are great and in mesa you'll still have 3-4 gain stages for OD channel's so it's not problem that first gain stage( shared for cleans 1st stage and od's 1st) has lower output.

')