Returning Agile Spetor Elite 827

• Thread starter PigTrough
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
Cheap guitars have cheap truss rods, and that doesn't just go for Agile. They do tend to be shit on them though. I've had to re-fix the truss rod on three Agile's I've owned.

I didn't mind as much as I have the tools and experience and after the fix it won't happen again. If I didn't have that though, I'd be rather upset and send the sucker right back.

As others have said, that's not exactly the sign of something wrong, per se. It's more to do with the natural resonance point in the instrument. I've worked on $6k+ guitars with the same issue.

If you look around, tons of pros have to dampen the strings on their high end customs. It's annoying, but not too bad as the solutions to the issue are getting more elegant.

Once again, cheap guitars use cheap components. I've pretty much had to gut all my Agiles if I wanted to play at peak, which is super cheap and easy.

To be fair, there are various pictures on Rondo's site showing how the back of white guitars are nearly transparent.

In fact, you can see it right here on the guitar's original order page:
septorelite827ebdncwhite3.jpg

That's probably the department in which Agiles are most hit or miss. I've owned close to a dozen at this point, and about half just felt like dog shit out of the box. Granted, after some basic tech work things were a lot better.

Considering how you hate the finish, and it's not like the pictures didn't reflect it, I'm surprised you ordered the guitar in the first place. Rondo has plenty of other 827s up. I fully agree with you sending it back.

This isn't a Strat copy, this is an 8-strings, so I wouldn't exactly compare it to other $850 guitars. If you want a really good 8-string these days, consistently, you're going to have to pluck down at least $1k for a Carvin or used RG2228.

Considering that nearly all of that is aesthetic, I'd just suck it up and grab a Carvin DC800. The only thing you won't be able to get is a reverse headstock.

DC800
Right Handed
1 $999.00

-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard) $0.00
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
W - Classic White $0.00
-GNB - Clear Gloss Finish Back Of Neck (Standard) $0.00
-8SH - 8-String Pointed Headstock 4+4 (Standard) $0.00
-PH - Headstock To Match Body Finish (Standard) $0.00
-EF - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard) $0.00
NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only $0.00
-FR - Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W (Standard) $0.00
-R20 - 20in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-A80B - A80B Bridge Pickup (Standard, Black Only) $0.00
-A80N - A80N Neck Pickup (Standard, Black Only) $0.00
-400 - Black Pickups (Standard) $0.00
BC - Black Hardware $30.00
-1068 - Carvin 1068 Light Gauge .010 - .068 (Standard) $0.00
WL - White Logo $0.00
HC28 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case $69.00
Custom Shop Total: $1,098.00
Options Discount: $-30.00

Sub-Total $1,068.00

Throw in some EMGs or Blackouts and it's 99% what you're looking for, for not a whole lot more really.

To be fair, Agile doesn't make knock offs, they do make some copies, but nothing they make is meant to actually try and fool anyone into believing they're buying a Gibson or Fender.

images

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PigTrough

Reaction score
Cheap guitars have cheap truss rods, and that doesn't just go for Agile. They do tend to be shit on them though. I've had to re-fix the truss rod on three Agile's I've owned.

I didn't mind as much as I have the tools and experience and after the fix it won't happen again. If I didn't have that though, I'd be rather upset and send the sucker right back.

As others have said, that's not exactly the sign of something wrong, per se. It's more to do with the natural resonance point in the instrument. I've worked on $6k+ guitars with the same issue.

If you look around, tons of pros have to dampen the strings on their high end customs. It's annoying, but not too bad as the solutions to the issue are getting more elegant.

Once again, cheap guitars use cheap components. I've pretty much had to gut all my Agiles if I wanted to play at peak, which is super cheap and easy.

To be fair, there are various pictures on Rondo's site showing how the back of white guitars are nearly transparent.

In fact, you can see it right here on the guitar's original order page:
septorelite827ebdncwhite3.jpg

That's probably the department in which Agiles are most hit or miss. I've owned close to a dozen at this point, and about half just felt like dog shit out of the box. Granted, after some basic tech work things were a lot better.

Considering how you hate the finish, and it's not like the pictures didn't reflect it, I'm surprised you ordered the guitar in the first place. Rondo has plenty of other 827s up. I fully agree with you sending it back.

This isn't a Strat copy, this is an 8-strings, so I wouldn't exactly compare it to other $850 guitars. If you want a really good 8-string these days, consistently, you're going to have to pluck down at least $1k for a Carvin or used RG2228.

Considering that nearly all of that is aesthetic, I'd just suck it up and grab a Carvin DC800. The only thing you won't be able to get is a reverse headstock.

DC800
Right Handed
1 $999.00

-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard) $0.00
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
W - Classic White $0.00
-GNB - Clear Gloss Finish Back Of Neck (Standard) $0.00
-8SH - 8-String Pointed Headstock 4+4 (Standard) $0.00
-PH - Headstock To Match Body Finish (Standard) $0.00
-EF - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard) $0.00
NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only $0.00
-FR - Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W (Standard) $0.00
-R20 - 20in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-A80B - A80B Bridge Pickup (Standard, Black Only) $0.00
-A80N - A80N Neck Pickup (Standard, Black Only) $0.00
-400 - Black Pickups (Standard) $0.00
BC - Black Hardware $30.00
-1068 - Carvin 1068 Light Gauge .010 - .068 (Standard) $0.00
WL - White Logo $0.00
HC28 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case $69.00
Custom Shop Total: $1,098.00
Options Discount: $-30.00

Sub-Total $1,068.00

Throw in some EMGs or Blackouts and it's 99% what you're looking for, for not a whole lot more really.

To be fair, Agile doesn't make knock offs, they do make some copies, but nothing they make is meant to actually try and fool anyone into believing they're buying a Gibson or Fender.

Hey man, I really appreciate all the good info, Thanks. I actually didn't hate the finish, just more of an observation. The lines on the back are not a huge deal, just wasn't expecting them (cause I'm and idiot and didnt notice in pictures.) Seems like you have owned quite a few Agile's, and I am actually considering ordering another because I obviously had a lemon. I really like the shape and the looks of that septor and was MEGA bummed when the truss rod issue came about.

I looked at the Carvin's; a few hundred more bucks (800-900 was my limit) than I was expecting but they do have some sweet finishes. Then I'm looking right out the gate spending 200-250$ on new pickups because the stock ones I probably will not like. An option I may keep my eye on.

PigTrough

Reaction score
I should mention to - props to the customer service at Rondo Music. They sent me a free shipping label via email and promptly refunded the purchase upon receiving.

PigTrough

Reaction score
well boys, after some serious searching on the web, i decided the agile has the vast majority of what i am looking for in an 8 string, despite its aruguable shortcomings. I ordered the same one and it comes in a few days. I clearly got a dud. It will go right to the local music shop for pro setup and i think i will be very happy with it. look for an NGD and full review this weekend. Thanks to all who replied to this thread with helpful info.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Though I'm a bit late, a lot of people really enjoy the stock DC800 pickups.

')