Returning used gear from forum deals

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Should you be allowed to return used gear from forum deals?

• Yes, I don't like it and want my money back.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Nope, bought it used and it's my turn to sell.

Votes: 88 97.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
Chill, guys haha. I think the thread has established that most users go by the common understanding that used tear is bought as is.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
You know I actually think you should be able to return something to a private seller for no other reason than you don't like it because frankly I .....ummmm.....because if.....uhhhh.....oh wait, no I don't, there isn't a good reason.:lol:

As long as the gear was received in "as advertised" condition then it's on the buyer to resell it if they don't jive with it. If I received a guitar for instance, that has a couple dings or nicks that weren't disclosed, so what? It's a used guitar. Though if a seller sent pics of a near mint guitar and I get something that looks it's been through battle, we got a problem.

I might buy something from someone here on SSO, but I never have yet. Somewhere like Craigs List I just can't do it. I don't trust people. I've bought gear off of people locally that I know, but not just any random stranger. Maybe that's me being paranoid and I've probably missed out on some deals that way, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I usually buy my gear from a store with a good return policy. GC, Sweetwater etc. GC used is THE way to go. No where else can you return used gear just because you don't care for it.

Whining to a private seller to take something back just because you don't like it is pretty weak.

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Also protip...when shipping a guitar in a case, put the case in a fvcking box, dont just use a few strips of sellotape to hold an UNLOCKED M100c case and stick my address on it, I was amazed that the guitar was inside when it arrived, what with being dumped in a Uni hall of residence.

I've had this happen to me as well from a member.
Who sends anything in JUST the case, no locks, no added protection?
My case has a chunk of the outer plastic shell missing now, you can see the inner Styrofoam :mad:

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
I voted no, but the only concievable situations for private transaction returns are A) in the case of mishaps, or B) if it is discussed and arranged ahead of time.

Otherwise, the ability to resell is usually one of the main factors I consider when shopping used- except at guitar center since they have a return policy.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
On a more constructive note, what are we going to do about it as a community? Can we change the marketplace to accommodate or should we change our auction titles to include a disclaimer?

It seems that we, as a community have spoken and decided that returns are not ok except for physical and working condition. I realize that this seems obvious for most of us, but not for all. Perhaps we should decide as a whole how to address this and move forward. I don't want to see the marketplace leave, and I don't think anyone else does either.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been on here going on 7 years and this is the first I've ever heard of this.

I've heard cases of buyer's remorse, but not actually trying to follow up with a return.

Send me the PMs.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^I think the poster above you said all that needs to be said...

If returns are to be accepted, it's agreed upon prior to the exchange of goods and money. Seems simple enough... Lil verbal or written prenup... :lol:

EDIT: Oops... Max ninja'd me...

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
On a more constructive note, what are we going to do about it as a community? Can we change the marketplace to accommodate or should we change our auction titles to include a disclaimer?

It seems that we, as a community have spoken and decided that returns are not ok except for physical and working condition. I realize that this seems obvious for most of us, but not for all. Perhaps we should decide as a whole how to address this and move forward. I don't want to see the marketplace leave, and I don't think anyone else does either.

I don't think it's going to affect people or the marketplace as a whole...I just got irked that it was affecting my feedback and straining relationships as far as our 'business' went. I'm sure it's happened to other people as well, but it's not like everybody in the thread has a common problem with it...it's happened to me a few times and I've seen it a few times on other forums but as far as I know it's not a widespread issue. It has happened to me enough that it's pretty much decided I'm not going to be selling anymore.

I could see it becoming a problem in that it's made me a lot more cautious in what I'm considering buying, as whatever I pick up is going to have to stick around, and I don't have that buffer of 'well, if I don't bond with it I'll just off it' type of thing anymore. I was considering grabbing that baritone KxK that was in the Dealer section, but 2k is a decent outlay without ever having played one and knowing if I'll get along with the neck...knowing that I wasn't going to off it anywhere made the GAS pretty much disappear.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
In the not too distant future I'm going to take my shot at selling some mighty fine gear (not mayones fine, but good stuff maynard) and this worries me. Can you not just say "as is" and show pics?

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
In the not too distant future I'm going to take my shot at selling some mighty fine gear (not mayones fine, but good stuff maynard) and this worries me. Can you not just say "as is" and show pics?

As others have pointed out, it's *all* about communication between buyer and seller. If you're a seller and you don't want to offer a "return policy" then say you don't take returns. :shrug: If someone isn't sure about the deal and wants a return, that will save you the headache that could have happened had it not been said.

And if you're the buyer don't assume people will take returns- ask the question. Just don't be surprised if the answer is "no".

CrazyDean

Reaction score
Believe me, if I get an "it's too loud" or something about it being the wrong neck shape, I will not accept a return. My concern would be iTrader and paypal. However, I have not yet encountered any such problems and will give a heads up to a mod if I do.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, so I think we can officially say this is being blown CRAZY out of proportion, especially on this forum.

So only one person has had an issue here and it was with someone who seems to be off-level.

Calm down guys. This isn't a "trend" on SSO, and the classifieds aren't going anywhere. :rofl:

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
VGQnqzjx

Latest posts

')