Reverb impulse responses?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this guy ever ended up getting the help he needed? You know, for Reverb impulse responses.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Directing this to people who have spent over 4k on reverb software and cant stop buying.
For the last 3 years since i stepped foot in the world of digital reverb and reverb modeling...i have purchased for reverb sims from reverb dsp, reverb rig, reverbtube, reverbfx 2 and reverb amp 2, overreverb, reverbial, reverb 6, stl reverb, reverb digital, ml reverb lab, joey reverb and then million bunch reverb packs and then there is the pro tools and reaper DAW and get good reverb, reverbtrack ez reverb and superior reverb and ezIR, modo reverb and reverbtakt and reverbs and a bunch of midi reverbs...again all this is reverb...conclusion. even after buying all this i only use reverb 6 reverb native, ez reverb 3 and ez reverb and reaper and 1-2 ir packs for my reverbs and thats it. I havent touched the rest. So i basically purchased at least 3k of reverb stuff that i dont use. Worse of all is i am still buying...anybody have this issue? Suggestions

See, I'm a really big believer in that reverb should come from the room.

So if you want that dank dark mythical eerie sleepy hushy squishy pliable springy spongy soaked up wet marble wall sound then the best thing to do is go buy a church in Italy.

duomo-di-milano-cr-getty.jpg

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
See, I'm a really big believer in that reverb should come from the room.

So if you want that dank dark mythical eerie sleepy hushy squishy pliable springy spongy soaked up wet marble wall sound then the best thing to do is go buy a church in Italy.

It baffles me that you claim to be an absolute beginner and then say things like this. Or like your theory dumps before claiming to know nothing "about reverb". Or asking the most beginner questions about reverb immediately after claiming to have owned more reverb than many of us will see in a lifetime.

I maintain that there are only two possibilities here:

One is that you're a relentless troll and we're all falling for it. This is unfortunately more plausible that I'd like to admit, for reasons that should be obvious.

The second is that you wanna be the very best like no one ever was, but have convinced yourself that the way to do so is to just cram all the REVERB FACTS into your head all at the same time and then POOF you're an expert reverbian now. No practice required! Searching for that elusive "easy" button so that you can somehow become good at reverb without ever touching one.

Every time you ask a question and don't get an answer you like... you just ask a different question.

Why do you want to use WAVs for reverb or impulse responses? Why not stick with whatever reverb plugins you have to work with? It's entirely possible to mix a good reverb using only the stock reverb in whatever software you happen to be using. Do you know what the purpose of a reverb is?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Somewhere Vejichan is laughing his absolute ass off at all of us.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Accept trades for a Vik?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It baffles me that you claim to be an absolute beginner and they say things like this. Or like your theory dumps before claiming to know nothing "about soloing". Or asking the most beginner questions about gear immediately after claiming to have owned more gear than many of us will see in a lifetime.

I maintain that there are only two possibilities here:

One is that you're a relentless troll and we're all falling for it. This is unfortunately more plausible that I'd like to admit, for reasons that should be obvious.

The second is that you wanna be the very best like no one ever was, but have convinced yourself that the way to do so is to just cram all the MUSIC FACTS into your head all at the same time and then POOF you're an expert musician now. No practice required! Searching for that elusive "easy" button so that you can somehow become good at an instrument without ever touching one.

Every time you ask a question and don't get an answer you like... you just ask a different question.

Why do you want to use IRs for drums or vocals? Why not stick with whatever reverb plugins you have to work with? It's entirely possible to mix a good album using only the stock plugins in whatever software you happen to be using. Do you know what the purpose of an IR is?
There's a third possibility, that I think is the likloiest yet; he has crioppling low self confidence and self doubt, and someone told him this is what to do once so he does it.

It's not bad advice as far as it goes - the snare and toms behave pretty similarly, so I do tend to process them more or less the same. I'd be more inclined to use a plate 'verb here less for a "reverb" effect than to build up the sustain a little, but I also tend to set up a global "room" reverb bus (not always a room type verb; room, hall, whatveer, whatever seems to fit the song) and then send additional sends from any track I want reverb on, to that bus, to add ambience as needed and try to glue everything into the same acoustic "space." I'll usually start with the overheads, actually, before anything else, but may add the snare and/or toms as well if I think it helps. Depends on a lot of things.

But, for all @jaxadam 's penchant for good-natured trolling, he (intentionally, I think) also sneaks in nuggets of truth. His room comment is a good one. I'm not saying go out and buy an Italian church, although if you have the means by all means, but absolutely think of reverb as the "room" that your mix is happening in, and use accordingly to help create distance, both moving things closer or further away (although a reverb send isn't the best for really moving something into the background, dince you still have primarily a dry signal with some 100% wet ambience mixed back - if you really need something to sound like it's happening further away, a 100% wet reverb on the track itself, but not a very "wet" reverb setting, is more effective), as well as increase or decrease the size of the "stage" the music is playing on.

Not sure why I'm really bothering to type this, as I'm giving "how" and "why" answers to a guy who's pretty clearly only interested in "what" ones - which plugin, which settings, etc, but hey, maybe someone else will find this useful.

mastapimp

Reaction score
There's a third possibility, that I think is the likloiest yet; he has crioppling low self confidence and self doubt, and someone told him this is what to do once so he does it.

It's not bad advice as far as it goes - the snare and toms behave pretty similarly, so I do tend to process them more or less the same. I'd be more inclined to use a plate 'verb here less for a "reverb" effect than to build up the sustain a little, but I also tend to set up a global "room" reverb bus (not always a room type verb; room, hall, whatveer, whatever seems to fit the song) and then send additional sends from any track I want reverb on, to that bus, to add ambience as needed and try to glue everything into the same acoustic "space." I'll usually start with the overheads, actually, before anything else, but may add the snare and/or toms as well if I think it helps. Depends on a lot of things.

But, for all @jaxadam 's penchant for good-natured trolling, he (intentionally, I think) also sneaks in nuggets of truth. His room comment is a good one. I'm not saying go out and buy an Italian church, although if you have the means by all means, but absolutely think of reverb as the "room" that your mix is happening in, and use accordingly to help create distance, both moving things closer or further away (although a reverb send isn't the best for really moving something into the background, dince you still have primarily a dry signal with some 100% wet ambience mixed back - if you really need something to sound like it's happening further away, a 100% wet reverb on the track itself, but not a very "wet" reverb setting, is more effective), as well as increase or decrease the size of the "stage" the music is playing on.

Not sure why I'm really bothering to type this, as I'm giving "how" and "why" answers to a guy who's pretty clearly only interested in "what" ones - which plugin, which settings, etc, but hey, maybe someone else will find this useful.
4th possibility is a massive head wound and no short term memory (as evidenced by 100 of the same "which wood would you pick for a guitar tuned to drop D?" posts).

mementomeme.jpg

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
There's a third possibility
I suppose I was considering this third scenario as a parallel - I suppose options 1 or 2 could easily follow from 3 also being true.

Conveniently, practice and therapy are the solutions to all of the above.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
He's reeeally good at trolling, in a way that people don't even want to believe. It's impressive... a lot of trolls have come and gone but vej is at the top of his game. The "five album" playlist and the pop-country/ hip-hop whatever genre were pretty neat touches. I still think the best though, was the "thank you" ( all lower case iirc) after that super long and respectable comment someone presented to him on theory.

I don't buy any sociability or esteem issues ( at least not as transparently presented) as members in all different subs including health & fitness, have offered a ton of sincere help. If anyone might ever want to elaborate to some degree regarding personal issues, there's no more accommodating place than sso. He knows that, regardless of his true self. He also writes too articulate when he wants to, for me to think that there isn't a good deal of comprehension as it relates to dialogue. Oh, the paste and copy shit has been funny too... posts as well as songs. Good way to see if anyone is checking out your sound cloud too... just as an extra hehehe. Putting some distance/ time between posts really helps to gather the crowd also and he's perfected that as well as pulling the vague "woah is me" card to gain comments. Most of the time, he finds a decent amount of replies to scorn, engage in, or ignore and that makes things more rewarding... in regards to keeping threads alive and having more opportunity to direct the thread where he wants it to go. Those are some of the key troll components right there. Entertaining... more-so after coming to terms with what's really going on.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I'm good with that but that's the thing. He knows that his style will keep getting him comments good or bad. That poor last dude... I hope he pasted it cause that was a lot to type out just for a no thanks lol.