Reverb increasing their selling fee (3.5% to 5%)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jsmalleus

Reaction score
Same, super lame. They better be careful or they'll just price themselves out of the market like ebay did, especially on top of the taxes being collected now. The growth of the user base at 3.5% is plenty to make the support improvements, this is nothing but greed.

Will gladly be jumping to the next site that unseats them.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I just got that too....
“Growing together” I hope someone else comes along and copies their original model and sticks to it. I sold a guitar on reverb last night and that may be my last with them.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eh, everyone will just move to the next platform, the same thing will happen, and the cycle continues.

jsmalleus

Reaction score
Does ebay still have that 3.5% fee for music gear or did they bump it back up?
Yeah, theirs is still sitting at 3.5% right now. Hopefully they don't raise it as well since reverb is what forced them back down from 10-12% or whatever it was before they dropped it.

Avedas

Reaction score
Much less than the 10% I pay for Mercari and Yahoo Auctions, but I guess this sucks for US people paying sales tax as well.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
lol, did you guys read the list of 'improvements' that the extra money is supposedly going toward?
You know, all stuff that was a complete and total non-issue for years?

Between paying taxes on used gear and now even higher rates, yeah...I wouldn't mind going back to sticking to forums and local classifieds.

Avedas

Reaction score
To prevent box stores from skipping tax and selling everything on reverb.
Over here stores have to register themselves as stores on Yahoo Auctions, which causes sales tax to apply to their sales. Individual sellers don't have that. And while I'm sure there are plenty of tiny shops that can skirt around that, I would imagine the only cause for concern would be with the big name shops with high sales volume who would definitely need to play by the rules.

The list of "improvements" they cited is a total joke. Enjoy subsidizing their marketing and staffing costs. If you're going to raise your rates, just do it without the sad attempt of justification.

xzacx

Reaction score
I'm confused tho

WHY is there repeat sales tax on the resale of used items?
Because sales taxes are taxes on...get ready for it...the sale. It’s not a tax on the item.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I'm confused tho

WHY is there repeat sales tax on the resale of used items?

when you sell through reverb you're using a middleman platform that acts as a store. so the store needs to collect sales tax.

Adieu

Reaction score
when you sell through reverb you're using a middleman platform that acts as a store. so the store needs to collect sales tax.

But middlemen are VAT exempt though???

Does selling a used item mean you can request your old sales tax back or something???

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Eh, I feel like this isn't really that big of a deal. If it increased any more then I'd have an issue but maybe I'm just used to being taxed by living in Mass lmao

Latest posts

')