Reverb increasing their selling fee (3.5% to 5%)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mungiisi

Reaction score

Yes. I'm happy to agree to disagree - this shouldn't be so grave serious.

This.

Used prices will always be proportionate to new depending on availability, which is the biggest factor.

The more available, the less favorable (for seller) used prices are.

This is even more noticeable on instruments that haven't changed an appreciable amount through it's history. Jackson is a great example as the base USA Soloist has remained fairly unchanged for over three decades now.

Availability is another thing. If we think of, say the old Professional Pro Warriors, which reach high prices when they seldomly are for sale. They were made for two years only and seem to be very rare. This is natural - there's not much these guitars existing anyways.

However, RR1 and SL1 have been on the market for ages and I don't see no reason why the used prices have gone up. The MSRP's of RR1 has remained almost the same (was 2933.32 USD in 2011 and is now 2999 USD).

Maybe I'm just missing the days when you could get USA Select Series's and even Custom Shop Jacksons for a bit over 1000 USD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. I'm happy to agree to disagree - this shouldn't be so grave serious.

Availability is another thing. If we think of, say the old Professional Pro Warriors, which reach high prices when they seldomly are for sale. They were made for two years only and seem to be very rare. This is natural - there's not much these guitars existing anyways.

However, RR1 and SL1 have been on the market for ages and I don't see no reason why the used prices have gone up. The MSRP's of RR1 has remained almost the same (was 2933.32 USD in 2011 and is now 2999 USD).

Maybe I'm just missing the days when you could get USA Select Series's and even Custom Shop Jacksons for a bit over 1000 USD.

That's the thing, availability of new USA Soloists is not good, as the move from regular production to the Select line has slashed availability. Even large retailers aren't always able to stock them for immediate sale, so used market pricing goes up to compensate for demand.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

That seems to be the case. The ones I have definetely didn't cost that.

TheTrooper

Reaction score
I appreciate the fact that they didn't sugarcoat the tax raise but I also don't appreciate the fact they didn't sugacoat the tax raise......and the tax itself.

I still think Reverb is THE place to sell at the moment, but I want to see this growth now.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Just looked into some discrepancies regarding payouts and asked for clarification. Apparently they are factoring in taxes on those "payment processing fees." Pretty much bullshit if you ask me.

Taxes bring you that much closer to the cost of a new item, the buyer will haggle so you basically eat their taxes, and Reverb finishes the job by deducting payment processing fees with the taxes included.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just looked into some discrepancies regarding payouts and asked for clarification. Apparently they are factoring in taxes on those "payment processing fees." Pretty much bullshit if you ask me.

Taxes bring you that much closer to the cost of a new item, the buyer will haggle so you basically eat their taxes, and Reverb finishes the job by deducting payment processing fees with the taxes included.

Some items just don't make sense to sell unless you're clearing space. Especially cheaper, smaller, easy to replace stuff like most pedals.

At least not on a platform like Reverb that collects fees and taxes.

Anything under ~$300, toss on CL or FB. Returns just diminish too quickly.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Some items just don't make sense to sell unless you're clearing space. Especially cheaper, smaller, easy to replace stuff like most pedals.

At least not on a platform like Reverb that collects fees and taxes.

Anything under ~$300, toss on CL or FB. Returns just diminish too quickly.
My local CL is a dumpster, and FB marketplace or whatever is a waste of time.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My local CL is a dumpster, and FB marketplace or whatever is a waste of time.

FB marketplace is junk, but there are tons of groups that are open to selling and trading. There's usually more leg work involved, but you could almost double your payout.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
FB marketplace is junk, but there are tons of groups that are open to selling and trading. There's usually more leg work involved, but you could almost double your payout.
I tried a few times, and found it near impossible to get worthwhile offers. Someone wanted to trade me for a pedal I had, and asked what I wanted (...what?), so when I asked what they had, they just kept saying, "oh I'll type it up tomorrow." After the third time of that, I basically said "yeah, I'll pass." Anyways, my local CL is the drizzling shits.

bzhang9

Reaction score
Actually I find cheaper stuff much better to sell on reverb, they sell fast, fees are low since its totally % based and the shipping discount makes up for it

expensive stuff I'd rather sell through other means, losing 400-500 on a high end guitar sale is so painful

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Actually I find cheaper stuff much better to sell on reverb, they sell fast, fees are low since its totally % based and the shipping discount makes up for it

expensive stuff I'd rather sell through other means, losing 400-500 on a high end guitar sale is so painful
Wouldn't you need to sell a $6k guitar for that to be the case?

')