Reverb issue with buyer

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section, so if not, please move mods. Sorry.

I am having an issue with a buyer whom sent an offer asking the following:

Capture.PNG

I replied to him as such:

Capture1.PNG

"Probably not" being the key point there, but apparently he didn't take that very seriously. I come home today after a long day of fixing something to this:

31199681_135619327292446_3418400879324168192_n.png

Hmm, that's interesting. Having issues with the specific pedal I told you *PROBABLY* wouldn't work at 18v.

So what should I do, because he most likely wants me to refund him for his experimenting. I have emailed Reverb about it asking for their advice, along with the above screen captures. My guess though is they're probably going to force me to refund him and tell me to get the pedal back, which will be fried because he wanted to do something I told him probably would not work. So yeah, I'm at a loss. What should I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
No, but I don't think it's spec'd to be run at 9-18v like some pedals are (ie, OCD, some VFE pedals, etc)

pearl_07

Reaction score
Reverb will side with the buyer 90% of the time from what I've seen and experienced which is why I use a no return policy. I had an MXR pedal that was flawless and the dude wanted it returned because the paint had a sharp edge on the bottom and Reverb said it was my fault for not removing the velcro and ensuring the pedal was in excellent condition. You can try to fight it, but I'm sure there "probably not" with the 18v would warrant a return with them.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
FWIW... never list items as excellent on reverb. Go with mint, unless it's literally a NIB item you are flipping.

Is this the right way around?

I guess I see what you mean in terms of functionality, but I had someone threatening me over the mint/excellent distinction on something I listed as mint, but felt it wasn't "glossy" enough. It was a pedal that was in like mint condition -- like, no dings or chips or wear of that sort -- but it had been used on a shelf, and it got dusty, and I blew the dust off with compressed air, but there's still tiny little fuzzies etc. I don't know, people on reverb are kind of crazy.

Last edited:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Is this the right way around?

Oh dammit I'm tired... nevermind. Thanks Narad. Fuck Jim.

I guess I see what you mean in terms of functionality, but I had someone threatening me over the mint/excellent distinction on something I listed as mint, but felt it wasn't "glossy" enough. It was a pedal that was in like mint condition -- like, no dings or chips or wear of that sort -- but it had been used on a shelf, and it got dusty, and I blew the dust off with compressed air, but there's still tiny little fuzzies etc. I don't know, people on reverb are kind of crazy.

After I watched that unboxing vid where the guy got an acoustic that had a headstock crack poorly repaired, was dusty from what looked like 20 years in a garage uncovered, and was just thrown in a shipping carton loose... I've taken to videoing and taking hi-res pics of anything I send out while I'm at the UPS store or USPS just prior to shipping, for that exact reason! I've even sent the pics to the buyer ahead of time, that way Reverb CS can see I was totally upfront - appearance is everything.

Lastly, if I sense anything is going sideways, I'll chat up Reverb CS just so there's a record that I reached out first.

Last edited:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Oh dammit I'm tired... nevermind. Thanks Narad. Fuck Jim.

After I watched that unboxing vid where the guy got an acoustic that had a headstock crack poorly repaired, was dusty from what looked like 20 years in a garage uncovered, and was just thrown in a shipping carton loose... I've taken to videoing and taking hi-res pics of anything I send out while I'm at the UPS store or USPS just prior to shipping, for that exact reason! I've even sent the pics to the buyer ahead of time, that way Reverb CS can see I was totally upfront - appearance is everything.

Lastly, if I sense anything is going sideways, I'll chat up Reverb CS just so there's a record that I reached out first.
General population question: What is the advantage of Reverb over Ebay? Less fraud?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
General population question: What is the advantage of Reverb over Ebay? Less fraud?

It's a platform catered to musical instruments, so they [Reverb] should have a better handle on how things work, versus a free for all like eBay.

In my own experience I've found it more user-friendly buying and selling music gear on Reverb than eBay.

Though you'll notice that most cross sell on both platforms as eBay still has the biggest reach.

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
Since 18v is the exception, not the norm, I don't know why anyone would assume it'd take 18v without checking the manual. Plus, it has "9VAC" pretty clearly printed on the top of the pedal between the knobs.

Also the mention of the Geronimo amp is weird. Like trying to prove he can afford your pedals a little too much you know?

NateFalcon

Reaction score
Lol...it’s all he had, guaranteed...he couldn’t resist and just wait for the right adapter...”derp a derp, it’s not making any sound...but it’s smoking and smells funny...” Not funny, guy needs a chin-check

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Lol...it’s all he had, guaranteed...he couldn’t resist and just wait for the right adapter...”derp a derp, it’s not making any sound...but it’s smoking and smells funny...” Not funny, guy needs a chin-check
Hey man, he has a $2500 Germino, a $30 One Spot is just uncouth.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Brutally honest, but you might be right. He claimed to have used a voodoo labs power supply, some of which have an 18v outlet. I think just think it is incredibly strange that someone would ask about a pedal regarding whether it can run at 18v or not, and then later have an issue with that pedal "not doing anything."

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Hey man, he has a $2500 Germino, a $30 One Spot is just uncouth.
I have a OneSpot, and it's quite useful. I also make damn sure whether I'm using the 9v daisy chain from the OneSpot or 18v daisy chain from a Dunlop adapter. I like to measure twice (or 8 times; better safe than sorry), cut once as the saying going.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I have a OneSpot, and it's quite useful. I also make damn sure whether I'm using the 9v daisy chain from the OneSpot or 18v daisy chain from a Dunlop adapter. I like to measure twice (or 8 times; better safe than sorry), cut once as the saying going.
I have two 1SPOTs, they are quite useful.

devastone

Reaction score
Since 18v is the exception, not the norm, I don't know why anyone would assume it'd take 18v without checking the manual. Plus, it has "9VAC" pretty clearly printed on the top of the pedal between the knobs.

That's 9VDC, not AC, that would be a problem too. Probably wouldn't fry it, but it wouldn't work.

Back to the original question, the problem is that he hasn't specifically said that he plugged it in to 18V, you need to send over some of the Law and Order guys over to get a confession. Have you asked him specifically about that?

')