Reverb takes a lot...

• Thread starter crimson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Reverb tells you how much money you will exactly earn before even publishing the listing. It's not that they're hiding it.

I just use this and set my prices so I get exactly what I want after fees:

Not rocket science. eBay is so much worse, and fees are around 5% higher.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score
I always calculate the shipping cost to cover myself and determine how much I'm willing to lose once is all set & done, including the lowest offer I would accept, and that's my price. No surprises then.
This is the way. Still. hurts but not as much as not knowing ahead of time.

That said I sort of agree with the OP. It's a lot of cuts off the pie before it gets to you even if you put in the work. My gripe with Reverb is that it's also becoming more and more funky in terms of customer base. Lowballs abound, bad manners abound, entitlement abounds. Makes me want to reconsider listing there.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Reverb tells you how much money you will exactly earn before even publishing the listing. It's not that they're hiding it.

I just use this and set my prices so I get exactly what I want after fees:

Not rocket science. eBay is so much worse, and fees are around 5% higher.

So you're telling me I should keep all my gear?

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
MAKE SWEETWATER'S GEAR EXCHANGE HAPPEN.

But seriously, I think one of the real issues here is that too many of us flip through guitars like it's a hobby or something. So, of course, we expect to at least make back what we spent on that guitar we bought three days ago that we've now decided to sell (for a loss, naturally) on Reverb. If you're selling gear you've actually owned for a while (and that you can afford to sit on, since you aren't rushing to offset the purchase of yet ANOTHER guitar), the convenience of Reverb can't be beat.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
At least in Europe, Reverb is slowly enabling us to sell beyond our borders conviniently. At least selling within the Schengen space is becoming extremely easy. Plus, the "local" marketplaces are getting overrun by bots and scammers, it's crazy the amount of ads that get pulled down within a week with a follow up email from the company saying "you were in touch with a scammer be careful" (talking about Kleinanzeigen in Germany).

Also you guys please sell more pickups on these boards damnit :p

Kwert

Reaction score
I’m definitely willing to eat Reverb fees for the convenience and reach it offers. My main problem is that shipping to and from Canada is so fucking expensive, especially if you want the courier to pack the guitar for you too.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To counteract the fees, I generally set my shipping fees to about $200 and the item price about $200 more than what I want for it. Reverb takes the W though since it's % based.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Forgive me if anyone has mentioned this yet but Reverb overcharges for their shipping labels. Try PirateShip.
Is this actually true?

They seem to offer a sizeable discount with UPS.

I shipped a 35 pound amp yesterday for $50. It was 30x27x14 inches.

Site is down for me...

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I ship exclusively through pirateship unless it's small small USPS items (like pickups), since stuff that small comes out the same or within $1 of eachother.

On bigger stuff like guitars and amps though, I can easily save $10 to $20 on an order. Also, Reverb insists on signature requirement for all insurance, PirateShip (and most third party postage companies) does not.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I ship exclusively through pirateship unless it's small small USPS items (like pickups), since stuff that small comes out the same or within $1 of eachother.

On bigger stuff like guitars and amps though, I can easily save $10 to $20 on an order. Also, Reverb insists on signature requirement for all insurance, PirateShip (and most third party postage companies) does not.
Is insurance worth it in your opinion? I always ship with insurance. I don't want to deal with the hassle of a courier being careless.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is insurance worth it in your opinion? I always ship with insurance. I don't want to deal with the hassle of a courier being careless.
I always pay for insurance, yeah. I've had a couple expensive items wrecked or lost in transit, you don't want to get stuck with the bill.

What I was saying is that Reverb requires a direct customer signature to release the package (which is a pain in the ass), whereas PirateShip and insurance through the courier does NOT require direct signature. Even if you want a signature, PirateShip or from courier insurance allows for the customer to sign for the package online to allow them to release it. Much better.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I can't stand doing business on reverb anymore for real. Buying or selling. The fees make it so everyone jacks up their prices, because of course people are going to pass those fees on rather than eat them. Shipping has obviously gotten more expensive in the past couple years as well. Its gotten to the point where prices of everything are inflated on reverb, and its hard to get any actual good deals on gear. I say this as someone who does a lot of business on reverb, everything I list there I raise the price probably %20 vs if I'm selling it locally. That's just accounting for fees. Its also hard to avoid doing buisiness with reverb because of the size of their platform and the reach you get.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't stand doing business on reverb anymore for real. Buying or selling. The fees make it so everyone jacks up their prices, because of course people are going to pass those fees on rather than eat them. Shipping has obviously gotten more expensive in the past couple years as well. Its gotten to the point where prices of everything are inflated on reverb, and its hard to get any actual good deals on gear. I say this as someone who does a lot of business on reverb, everything I list there I raise the price probably %20 vs if I'm selling it locally. That's just accounting for fees. Its also hard to avoid doing buisiness with reverb because of the size of their platform and the reach you get.

Can't tell you how many times I listed a guitar on Craigslist, marketplace AND Reverb, and had someone local end up buying it on Reverb. Which is a bummer since you're out all those fees, they're out the sales tax etc for a transaction you're doing with a dude a couple miles away.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Shipnerd works for some.

I hate shipping so i dont use reverb.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I won't do Reverb at all to begin with or Ebay anymore. Very rare for me to put up anything. Read your terms and conditions about using outside shipping. They'll get you there too eventually if something ever goes wrong. You possibly won't be covered under seller protetion etc. They change it a lot so be wary of everything. Basically don't sell anythign on there and only pay with a credit card based in and ship to the same country you are in for buying only.
- Only buyers are protected in practice. Even as a seller when I had proof one of my 7620's was delivered with signature on their site and everything, printed with a FedEx label from their site etc
- I was forced to give a refund with Paypal account frozen etc. never got guitar back or anything. This is because FedEx made a mistake and left it at an apartment door even though the label said signature required and I paid extra for it. After freaking out for days of going back and forth with them Ebay wouldn't budge and I was forced to file a claim with FedEx, which after about 3 months was denied, then denied again on appeal. Even though I did everything perfectly and there was proof they messed up AND they admitted on their records they messed up too. I was stil denied, told to pound sand and the only option for me was to sue them, which means flying back and forth to Texas or Kentucky or wherever it was multiple times to go to court with them. In America you have to either hire a lawyer in the state of who ripped you off or go there yourself. Well they know this and know that being iN AZ and filing a $700 claim isn't going to court even with an admission of guilt because the plane ticket or lawyer costs more than that. Fuck them, fuck coroporations etc. they all have these games they play. They will get screw you as a seller. As a buyer you're pretty much protected if everything is based in the same country. International is a bigger nightmare and more complicated. Read you credit card terms etc. - I've been there done it all had an 800+ Ebay rating etc when most people don't even leave feedback etc. I give up and can't take any more losses. I was constatnly being ripped off, people buy my stuff , part it out say it's broken so they can fix their own stuff etc. Screw all that.. Just sell locally take the value minus shipping and taxes and fees and list it as firm price etc and be patient. It can take a year to sell something but it's better than this crap. I cringe everytime I have to sell anything online through Ebay or the like. Stick with CL or Offerup locally only etc. don't do Offferup and offer shipping or anything else etc. Don;t let payment happen on the website They'll screw you too. I've lost multiple thousands over the years because of these crooked people. I really don't like them at all. - This is where my AxeFx money went. Now that rg7620 was mint and black with UV100c case. It's probably worth at least $5k now right. lol.

tldr. don;t sell anything online, only do cash back alley deals. only buy online using a credit card based in counrty your in and item is also in.

')