Reverb takes a lot...

• Thread starter crimson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it's not just 7.5% though. You have to think it's off the total each time if I remember right. I don't know if they still to but Ebay was taking the fees off the total amount plus shipping, then Paypal would do it again then fees again to transfer to bank then again for for the gob't what you're supposed to pay in taxes on etc. Basically they want you to give your item away and take all the risk and responsibiliyt etc. I'll continue avoiding them at all costs. It's total usury.
Yeah it's off the total and I'm hearing a lot of "Reverb left me out to dry" on Reddit posts and this forum haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
that's fucking stupid fuck reverb i'm going to include free shipping and + $300 all my items
You'll profit more if you keep your shipping at what you want and then buy a label 3rd party via Pirate Ship or other to source a cheaper label. That way the difference from shipping priced vs shipping actual will still be paid out to you.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You'll profit more if you keep your shipping at what you want and then buy a label 3rd party via Pirate Ship or other to source a cheaper label. That way the difference from shipping priced vs shipping actual will still be paid out to you.
Oh.

Stellar and it seems like Pirate Ship actually has said cheaper labels. I'll take that route next ship. I have one last guitar to sell anyway.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Oh.

Stellar and it seems like Pirate Ship actually has said cheaper labels. I'll take that route next ship. I have one last guitar to sell anyway.
Also be aware that sites like Ebay and I don't know about Reverb will no longer cover you under seller protection unles you follow specific payment and checkout methods. I'm pretty sure you have to use what shipping they say to still have coverage as a seller. They box you in I'm pretty sure to either comply or take big risks. Usually stuff goes ok but when it don't it negates a lot of prior work done or profits made. The fine print tells it and even then they see to just do what they want when there's a problem.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
Also be aware that sites like Ebay and I don't know about Reverb will no longer cover you under seller protection unles you follow specific payment and checkout methods. I'm pretty sure you have to use what shipping they say to still have coverage as a seller. They box you in I'm pretty sure to either comply or take big risks. Usually stuff goes ok but when it don't it negates a lot of prior work done or profits made. The fine print tells it and even then they see to just do what they want when there's a problem.
You don't have to use Reverb's shipping insurance to insure your item. Pirate ship and others will also offer the same insured shipments - because it's all sourced through the courier anyhow. I could be wrong on this part, but I'm pretty sure the only difference with Reverb is they will be the interface for interacting with your courier (DHL/USPS/UPS/etc)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The fees on Reverb include shipping and the taxes that no one wants to pay. I had quite a few people send me offers that, all said and done, was the cost of item + shipping, minus taxes. Anyone saying the seller pays taxes is only correct if they do not send an offer to get out of paying taxes, more or less.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
When I had to ship my guitars, etc. it cost an arm and a leg. I probably could've gone elsewhere to get it done cheaper/faster, but whatever.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
You don't have to use Reverb's shipping insurance to insure your item. Pirate ship and others will also offer the same insured shipments - because it's all sourced through the courier anyhow. I could be wrong on this part, but I'm pretty sure the only difference with Reverb is they will be the interface for interacting with your courier (DHL/USPS/UPS/etc)
Sure thing. I was talking more about the Ebay seller protection where they cover you in case of problems, not so much the item value insurance for shipping, but thanks for that info.

The fees on Reverb include shipping and the taxes that no one wants to pay. I had quite a few people send me offers that, all said and done, was the cost of item + shipping, minus taxes. Anyone saying the seller pays taxes is only correct if they do not send an offer to get out of paying taxes, more or less.
Interesting. Not sure what others meant but I was talking about income tax. Even though a buyer pays taxes that's for sales tax. At the end of the year the IRS expects you to file a 1099 or w2 for income taxes if the total valueof everythinf sold for that year was over $600. It used to be like $20k then along came Biden and it changed.

When I had to ship my guitars, etc. it cost an arm and a leg. I probably could've gone elsewhere to get it done cheaper/faster, but whatever.
I'd hate to see it now. I remember it was about $100 insured usually to most spotts in the U.S. shipping has been out of control for long time now.

- All these fees and taxes and shipping increases not only took everyone's ability to make profit away, let alone flip and profit, but you can't even make back what you buy somethign for now hardly and break even. It's crazy that all these companies and people and gov't get so much for doing nothing at all than making a website.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I stopped selling on ebay when they required I allow any SEPA request originating from them. My last sale was painful enough as they kept the money for 3 weeks after delivery just because they say so. At this point it's less hassle to just dump your equipment in a used instruments shop.

EVH-5150

Reaction score
I stopped selling on ebay when they required I allow any SEPA request originating from them. My last sale was painful enough as they kept the money for 3 weeks after delivery just because they say so. At this point it's less hassle to just dump your equipment in a used instruments shop.
Yep, it definitely makes that option much more attractive these days. I know shops like Music Go Round and others will only give you approximately 50-60% of resale value, but that's about all we are ending up with anyway on Reverb and eBay. PLUS, there are other hidden costs like the stress of waiting for the guitar that you shipped to the buyer to arrive, be inspected, and "approved" before feeling like the deal is done! ...and we all know how that goes sometimes.

jsmalleus

Reaction score
I had a guy who works at a local shop message me on facespace about one of the guitars I had listed & ask if I'd come trade it in, two of my old bandmates & some other friends work as teachers there, so I got to talking to him & asked if they'd consider selling stuff on consignment. I'm downsizing bigtime since I stepped down in the band back in July & they're looking to build up their used inventory, so could be a win-win. He said they're testing a consignment arrangement with one of their employees and if it goes well they'll give it a shot. Hoping that works out, especially for the bigger items I have no intention of shipping. Would be cool if more places started doing that and taking 10-20% if it sells, rather than giving you 50-60% of the resale value.

EVH-5150

Reaction score
I had a guy who works at a local shop message me on facespace about one of the guitars I had listed & ask if I'd come trade it in, two of my old bandmates & some other friends work as teachers there, so I got to talking to him & asked if they'd consider selling stuff on consignment. I'm downsizing bigtime since I stepped down in the band back in July & they're looking to build up their used inventory, so could be a win-win. He said they're testing a consignment arrangement with one of their employees and if it goes well they'll give it a shot. Hoping that works out, especially for the bigger items I have no intention of shipping. Would be cool if more places started doing that and taking 10-20% if it sells, rather than giving you 50-60% of the resale value.
I agree! Consignment would be a very good option.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if not filing and roling dice would be better for this. If they don't get around to it you win, if they do and force payment it still might be cheaper than translation costs and hassels, if it's not then they can just do a payment plan and you can milk it out to them over years with a super low hassel payment. lol. - I got audited twice by the IRS when iI was making only $22k a year because I was off by $2k on my income. I put $20k instead of $22k. That $30 worth of taxes I owed came back in teh form of 2 audits about 5 years later. I never heard anythign about it until I got the bill andit was like $350 or something on $30 of taxes, retroactive with penaltys an d2 audits. I had to do all kinds or paper work and letters and stuff. Then another audit just because that turned out ok. They're evil and it's not justified imo. lol.
Quit your complaining. You expect them to be able to function without that $30? What do you expect them to do? Prioritize the multimillionaires that haven’t paid taxes in years? They don’t have the bandwidth!

')