Reverse headstocks and odd string angles

• Thread starter Rich
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Reaction score
I like the look of reverse headstocks, but with Jackson and some ESP's the low string leaves the nut at quite a severe angle towards the tuner. I've never owned one but often wondered, does this have any bad effects on the nut or the tuning? It seems like it would be harder for the string to move smoothly over the nut while tuning.

4pttd1l.jpg

I'm sure Jackson wouldn't have been making them like this for so long if there were problems with it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them, but it certainly looks like it could pop out of the nut and become a crossbow :lol:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
:agreed: Also, i've always thought Jackson 7 headstocks we're way too big. :eek:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate that angled string pull crap. Jackson's other 4-3(?) headstock is better in every way, IMO. Straight string pull FTW!

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
As RHLC pres., i say this thread is deemed true. Anything that involves reversed headstocks is.
Where's my VP?

:agreed: Also, i've always thought Jackson 7 headstocks we're way too big. :eek:

:lol: True,
but i really liked the way the headstock felt while holding the c.o.w.
I don't know. I like to see that low B going all the way up there... Only on a reverse. :)

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Call me stupid, (wouldn't be the first!), but if the headstock was standard, wouldn't the high E still be pulled at the same angle? So it's not an issue with reverse headstocks, but angled in-line headstocks, yes?

All that aside... I love reverse headstocks! Have one myself... :D

(edited 'cause I apparently can't read... fixed now, yay)

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As RHLC pres., i say this thread is deemed true. Anything that involves reversed headstocks is.
Where's my VP?

:lol: True,
but i really liked the way the headstock felt while holding the c.o.w.
I don't know. I like to see that low B going all the way up there... Only on a reverse. :)

Right here. Reverse headstocks FTW. :metal:

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Again i think Ibanez has certainly taken the cake for the reverse HS issue. They are flippin gorgeous, and they got pretty equal string pull...

revhs.jpg

Sebastian

Reaction score

Nah... the reversed Jackson headstock is my favourite of all... It looks really Badass... "metal:

Oh..

and i have a rev headstock (Jackson DR7) - no problems with the low B.. no problems with the tuning either

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
The only reason I had a problem with my DR-7 was because of the insanely huge string guages I use. I had to mod the nut slightly to make the 85 low B fit, among other things.

All you normal people shouldn't have any issues.

Murder Soul

Reaction score

I love Jackson reverse 7 headstocks. Looks like a big hockey stick. Ibanez reverse headstocks look the best design wise, since everything is straight.

Question, Why don't we ever see any 8 stringers with reverse headstocks, or all tuners in a row? I have been wondering this for the past few days. I wonder how that would work out on a Jackson.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
Maybe that extra string will just add too much tension and snap the headstock?

Or maybe the headstock will just look too cartoonishly huge :p

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe that extra string will just add too much tension and snap the headstock?

Or maybe the headstock will just look too cartoonishly huge :p

Most people only string their 7s with a guage somewhere in the mid .050's. That only adds about 14 lbs more tension. You'd get more tension if you strung up the guitar with 11s.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
In the instance of an impromptu street hockey session, I can think of no other guitar I'd rather have by my side than a COW.

Other than that, I much prefer their SLSMG style split headstock.

2910104503_xl.gif

This guitar is hot and sexy:

21_xl.jpg

Sebastian

Reaction score
sls.. not bad.. but not as badass as the rev. if u ask me..

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
theres no tuning problems at all on my jackson, just a awsome guitar with a killer headstock.:fawk:
100_7938.jpg

Me neither. Wait, that would be because mine's the SLS 7. :lol:

I suspect there could be some minor issues because of the angles, but on fixed bridge guitars, it shouldn't be a big deal. With a Wilkinson/vintage style trem, though... :ugh:

')