Revv G20

• Thread starter wakjob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Here, if you buy from a "store", we have 'provincial' and the "H.S.T." (ie: Harmonized Sales Tax) in others areas where the Provincial tax was merged with the G.S.T. (Goods & Services Tax). Suffice it to say, if you buy something privately, no tax is applied and if you get it from an actual registered 'store', I think it's based on the province it's being shipped to. Here, we pay 15% on prctically everything except certain groceries & medications.
For example, if I were to buy a $1,000 amp or guitar at a store, they automatically tack on an extra $150 for taxes. As far as I know, the Maritime Provinces have the highest tax rates in the country mainly because it's not a very economically strong area.

Now you know why I scratch my head when people post about how 'cheap' such & such pedals/amps/guitars are because if you were to buy them up here, add (roughly) 30% for the exchange rate and then another 15% sales tax and heaven forbid you order it online where they don't have free shipping. Want an Axe III and live up here ? You could buy a half decent used car for the same or even less.
Yeah the Canadian dollar can make big items a lot less palatable to purchase I’m sure. But I think it’s fair to charge sales tax or whatever combined provincial tax when you buy something from a store that has a business license. Canada has a wider social safety net than the US, so none of that is free.

What’s happening on Reverb right now for US customers is that sales tax is being remitted between people for private sales over and over again. I don’t think that was ever intended of how state sales tax was supposed to work. I understand paying state sales tax from a shop that’s out of state, but not between individuals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the Canadian dollar can make big items a lot less palatable to purchase I’m sure. But I think it’s fair to charge sales tax or whatever combined provincial tax when you buy something from a store that has a business license. Canada has a wider social safety net than the US, so none of that is free.

What’s happening on Reverb right now for US customers is that sales tax is being remitted between people for private sales over and over again. I don’t think that was ever intended of how state sales tax was supposed to work. I understand paying state sales tax from a shop that’s out of state, but not between individuals.

That was exactly how state sales tax works, and is how it is supposed to work. The only difference is the decision was made that internet sales are liable for tax based on the buyer's location and now online retailers / facilitators are actually collecting it and submitting it. Legally you are supposed to report purchases and pay sales tax on them if they are not taxed at the time of sale when you file your state taxes. It's no different from buying say a used car. Sales tax is collected on the sale, even if it is between two private parties.

I don't like it either, but it is exactly how it is supposed to work...

schecter58

Reaction score
Here, if you buy from a "store", we have 'provincial' and the "H.S.T." (ie: Harmonized Sales Tax) in others areas where the Provincial tax was merged with the G.S.T. (Goods & Services Tax). Suffice it to say, if you buy something privately, no tax is applied and if you get it from an actual registered 'store', I think it's based on the province it's being shipped to. Here, we pay 15% on prctically everything except certain groceries & medications.
For example, if I were to buy a $1,000 amp or guitar at a store, they automatically tack on an extra $150 for taxes. As far as I know, the Maritime Provinces have the highest tax rates in the country mainly because it's not a very economically strong area.

Now you know why I scratch my head when people post about how 'cheap' such & such pedals/amps/guitars are because if you were to buy them up here, add (roughly) 30% for the exchange rate and then another 15% sales tax and heaven forbid you order it online where they don't have free shipping. Want an Axe III and live up here ? You could buy a half decent used car for the same or even less.

As a fellow Maritimer, I feel your pain..

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
That was exactly how state sales tax works, and is how it is supposed to work. The only difference is the decision was made that internet sales are liable for tax based on the buyer's location and now online retailers / facilitators are actually collecting it and submitting it. Legally you are supposed to report purchases and pay sales tax on them if they are not taxed at the time of sale when you file your state taxes. It's no different from buying say a used car. Sales tax is collected on the sale, even if it is between two private parties.

I don't like it either, but it is exactly how it is supposed to work...

I was wondering if that might not be suspended in order to help get the economy back on its feet after things begin to normalize again.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Jesus that tone is immense, dude.

Thanks! It’s actually a three track mix of blue and red aggression modes panned to left (blue), center (blue) and right (red). Only EQ used was a bass cut at 80hz.

I was lazy and shot the video part in one take, that’s why you can spot a couple of screw ups... Oh well, panned the recorded track in the center and mixed it really low, haha

I really like the low mid growl, in fact the whole midrange sounds really pleasing and cuts through a mix very well.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
for the price that's not awful in Canadian bucks, the 5150 50watt el34 is the same price new and will loose a tonne of resale value, I would definitely grab this especially with how stupid expensive the 25 watt mark V is.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
for the price that's not awful in Canadian bucks, the 5150 50watt el34 is the same price new and will loose a tonne of resale value, I would definitely grab this especially with how stupid expensive the 25 watt mark V is.

Yeah, you can get a Revv Generator 7-40 or a Generator 100P/R for the price of Mark V here.

While more expensive than most other lunchbox tube heads, the Two Notes Torpedo hardware really makes the G20 an awesome home (and especially home recording) amp. It also sounds really good at living room volume through my 4x12 cab.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Music instruments/gear should be tax exempt. I've been saying this for years but literally no one cares.

It would be nice but it's not exempt. As a tip, if you're going on "tour" and making money on that tour and can show documented proof of money made in given country then if they accept (most do) an export document called a "carnet" then you can enter the goods into the country for a predetermined amount to time (somtimes even months) tax/duty free. Good information for touring bands. Carnet's are your freind.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Totally geeked out on this amp on night shift tonight, I would probably trade my Helix for one as Helix almost has too much for me, but this retains the options of going direct and recording without a cabinet while also just having that plug and play simplicity.

Reaction score

Can confirm, we get royally gouged on just about everything.

')