Rex: the first track for my latest djenty project

gavoja

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I present you one of my recent songs for my latest project, Nabuchodonosor. It was made using Reaper (IMO, the sweetest DAW out there). All the plugs I used was either the out of the box ones or free - except for the drums part, which is a mix of AD and my own samples. Guitars and bass was recorded using POD Studio UX1.

Enjoy! And let me know what you think.

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/nabuchodonosor'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=9215964&scid=9215964&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gavoja

Reaction score
Maybe nothing? :p But seriously, please try to describe. Any remark will help me improve it. My perception seems to be stultified after listening that song for like a hundred of times :].

sidge428

Reaction score
hey :D
im new to recording and all things such.
How, using reaper do you get such a rounded sound?
is it using plugins within reaper?

track sounds good man

ChuckLee

R.I.P. Chuck
Reaction score
The song souds good mate, but IMO you should compress the drum snare and take some low freq off from the EQ

gavoja

Reaction score
ChuckLee: Snare is already compressed, but it's rather delicate. I think you're right about the lows. I'm working on a new bass sound. I'll try it with the next track. Thanks!

sidge428: Well, Reaper is just the tool. The sound comes from POD Studio UX1. Basically the key is to record everything evenly with a metronome. That's about 70% of success. Other thing is to get a decent sound out of a POD. I tried every amp simulation in different configurations until I found something that sounded natural enough without that characteristic digital harshness. And finally, bass has to play (mostly) along with the kick drum - this will keep the selectivity of the whole mix.

Any other suggestions guys?

sidge428

Reaction score
ChuckLee:

sidge428: Well, Reaper is just the tool. The sound comes from POD Studio UX1. Basically the key is to record everything evenly with a metronome. That's about 70% of success. Other thing is to get a decent sound out of a POD. I tried every amp simulation in different configurations until I found something that sounded natural enough without that characteristic digital harshness. And finally, bass has to play (mostly) along with the kick drum - this will keep the selectivity of the whole mix.

cheers man. At the minute, with my Toneport i feel ive hit a decent tone but when i record, tightly (with a metronome), it still sounds really raw.

Ive no experience with mixing or mastering or anything...is there anything i can/should be doing after recording into reaper....like mixing wise?
Cheers

gavoja

Reaction score
Try putting a little reverb on guitar tracks, just for the ambience. This should soften the sound. Experience in mixing and mastering comes in time (this is actually what I am capable of doing in ~3 years now with the gear I have, which is pretty cheap). You just have to listen to what you record and compare to the songs you think sound good.

prh

Plini
Reaction score
mix sounds wicked.

im slowly deciding that i dont reeaallly care about mixes anymore once they reach a certain listenable level (yours is certainly past that), so im gonna start listening to the MUSIC, cos thats what matters right?

(and your music is awesome :yesway:)

Vangoatguitar

Rational Gayz
Reaction score
mix sounds wicked.

im slowly deciding that i dont reeaallly care about mixes anymore once they reach a certain listenable level (yours is certainly past that), so im gonna start listening to the MUSIC, cos thats what matters right?

(and your music is awesome :yesway:)
YES! finally someone who gets it! Mixes are relative to the people who mix them!

ryzorzen

shake and bake!
Reaction score
I think if you tighten the bass up a bit this mix would destroy, it already sounds awesome! Cool song too

')