RG 1527 Wire / 7-620

• Thread starter mattex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mattex

Reaction score
Hi,

actually I own a 7-620, would you sell it and pay +300$ for an 1527? My wires on the 7-620 aren´t in a good condition.
Is the Neck from the 1527 better to play or the same`? Which wires has the 1527, Dunlop 6105?

mfg mattex

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SHREDDER

ShredAholic
Reaction score
I believe by wires you are refering to the FRETS. A decent refret job will run you approximately $200.00 and up.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yes, possibly, Shredder. But according to the Whitberg interpretation of mattex's text, "wires" is likely referring to the guitar's strings.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dunlop 6105 refers to frets, not strings.

In response to the original question, you really need to determine if you want an entirely new guitar. If you're happy with every aspect of the 7620 (other than the worn frets) it may be worthwhile getting a refret. Sometimes a guitar that's been "played in" has a better sound and feel than one that's "factory fresh".

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
darren said:
Dunlop 6105 refers to frets, not strings.

In response to the original question, you really need to determine if you want an entirely new guitar. If you're happy with every aspect of the 7620 (other than the worn frets) it may be worthwhile getting a refret. Sometimes a guitar that's been "played in" has a better sound and feel than one that's "factory fresh".

I know. I was just making a little joke (albeit stupid) about the vagueness of the term "wires."

I completely agree about the "played in" sound. Nice guitars sound better as they get older (to a point, of course), while crappy guitars sound worse as they get older.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, fret wire. The 7620's have big frets but it's not as hard as Dunlop wire. I'd be surprised if a 7620 needed a refret already, it would have to have been played a whole lot.
The 1527 does not have Dunlop frets. 6105 is a narrow (2mm) but tall (1.47mm) wire, it's what's used on the white Jems and a few others. Production guitars generally don't use hard fret wire (like Dunlop) for two reasons - expense of the actual wire itself, and the difficulty in working with it. Hard frets are trickier and more time consuming to work with which can increase the cost of a guitar significantly.

')