RG 7321: Which pickup

• Thread starter the_arod
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

the_arod

Reaction score
simple question: which pickup in my RG 7321. I was thinking about a Dimarzio Evolution. The guitar tech I talked this afternoon, who turns out out to be quite famous here in Holland said: Duncan Custom.

Which one?? and why??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
:welcome:

Seymour Duncans are apparently not very good in basswood guitars so I'd advise against it, though I've yet to try one in basswood myself, I've got an EVO in my UV and it sounds awesome, I also have a Blaze in my 7321 and its a lovely pickup I just prefer the EVO.

Also, as many people will no doubt recommend you should possibly look into Bare Knuckle Pickups as they have a great rep round here.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
It depends what sort of tone you want, but for full-on metal I can recommend the Blaze Custom. I have it in the bridge of my 1527 and 7321 and it sounds great. As mentioned above try to avoid Duncans in basswood, Ive got some pretty poor results from that in the past.

the_arod

Reaction score
what I'm looking for, in an optimal situation:

- tight palm mutes (
- power chords being a wall of sound, anything but thin
- nice harmonics, but only if I play them
a plus would be if it stays clean together with the neck pickup, but this is not necessary

I'm a rhythm guitarist. No need for soloing qualities.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
For that I can definitely recommend the BC. Its a bit hotter than the standard Blaze so you get a bit more compressed sound, definitely good for powerchords. I get great harmonics with my rig but I use a boost pedal into a cranked Mesa. The BC cleans up great with the neck pickup, I use both on single-coil for funky rhythms. The Blaze would clean up even better, and would probably be closer to the voicing of the Evo7. Id definitely chose the Evo over any Duncan pickup though, except for perhaps Blackouts.

the_arod

Reaction score
For that I can definitely recommend the BC. Its a bit hotter than the standard Blaze so you get a bit more compressed sound, definitely good for powerchords. I get great harmonics with my rig but I use a boost pedal into a cranked Mesa. The BC cleans up great with the neck pickup, I use both on single-coil for funky rhythms. The Blaze would clean up even better, and would probably be closer to the voicing of the Evo7. Id definitely chose the Evo over any Duncan pickup though, except for perhaps Blackouts.
the Dimazrio site tells:
Blaze Bridge: Bass: 7,5/Mid: 4,5/Treble 6
Blaze Custom: Bass: 7,5/Mid: 7/Treble 6

that would mean i'd be better of with the Cutom?? Because it sound rational to me that if there are more mids, I can use them, while if there are less mids, there's less to use. Especially in the amps EQ's mids depending on the sound I wish. More mids for some death metal, scooped for some old-metalllica thrash. To me it doesn't make sense to boost mids if the pickup doesn't prodive them. Or am I thinking bullshit??

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
the Dimazrio site tells:

that would mean i'd be better of with the Cutom?? Because it sound rational to me that if there are more mids, I can use them, while if there are less mids, there's less to use. Especially in the amps EQ's mids depending on the sound I wish. More mids for some death metal, scooped for some old-metalllica thrash. To me it doesn't make sense to boost mids if the pickup doesn't prodive them. Or am I thinking bullshit??

Yep, you can always EQ the mids down if needed, it's hard to EQ something up if it's not there. Besides, the midrange is where the tone is.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
imho the blaze bridge has a GREAT low-midrange and i cant udnerstnad where the 4,5 on the DM side comes from...maybe this is fr High-mids or the middle-amount becauses there are much low mids and less high-mids?

dont think that the blaze sounds scooped or something, it doesnt. very heavy lowmid-grind-growl and i think it would fit your needs, escpeccially in a basswood-ibby.

cant talk about the balze custom unfortuneately.

the_arod

Reaction score
thanks again :)

the RG 7321 is mine now, with my job next week it's going to be totally paid for. Which means that in about a week or two, I will be able to get the pickup :cool:

one question still remains in my head is: how would you guys describe the difference between teh Blaze Custom and Evolution, as the description on DiMario's site seems to be pretty close to each other.

and oh, I see you like pics:

DaRKoN_

kicker of cheats
Reaction score
I've a 1077xl and it has blaze customs all round (H-S-H), in the bridge it is a total wall of mud, I cannot wait to get rid of it. With that said I don't mind the neck one.

edit: Actually.. they are 'custom 7's not 'blaze customs'...... so disregard all the above... :)

Reaction score
what I'm looking for, in an optimal situation:

- tight palm mutes (
- power chords being a wall of sound, anything but thin
- nice harmonics, but only if I play them
a plus would be if it stays clean together with the neck pickup, but this is not necessary

I'm a rhythm guitarist. No need for soloing qualities.

I'm wanting pretty much the exact same stuff. Where can I get a Blaze Custom? I can't find it on places like musicians friend or guitar center , etc. I don't want to buy one on ebay...

So it would be Blaze Evo on neck, and Custom on bridge?

Rex

Reaction score
And a PAF7 (neck) and an EVO (bridge) in a RG7321? Good choice?

casketshrine

Reaction score
I started a topic about taking in suggestions for pickups myself. But honestly, I think its a matter of personal preference. You would read mixed reviews of the same pickup by different people, even if they tried it out in the same guitar.

I have a 7621 and I put a set of D-activators in it. At the same time I also have a Schecter Blackjack ATX that came loaded with Blackouts. They are both different pickups. I love them both. When I bought 7621 it came with EVO's. I didn't enjoy them very much. D-Activators added a lot more character to my guitar's tone and also, it made my guitar sound prominently more brutal.

I would recommend those to you however it also depends on the kind of music you want to do. I am not sure what BOUTs would sound like in Basswood.

baracuda

Reaction score
I ve just bought my new Ibanez Rg 7321 black. Its got stock IBz pups which is honestly speaking not a top of the line ones. I play metal hardcore ,real tight riffs with lots of chunky parts. But I also like to play some melo stuff on clean sound. So here it is what Im desperetly looking for (im asking all of you guys who really knows what they are talking about): I want my clean as flexible and versitle as my distortion.

My distortion : For my distorted sound I want a pup that will give me - tightness,
noseleness, its gotta be very articulated, agressive , easy for pitch harmonics, with a good sustein and overall just a cool alternative metal tone.

My clean: For clean sound im looking for a neck pup that will make everybody cry.
I really wanna get a cool versitle, soul touching clean sound.

Before you guys say something you should keep in mind that i have a Basswood body
guitar with 5 piece neck and rosewood fretboard. My bridge is fixed. You can e-mail me
austin.bryen@yahoo.com
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alecisonfire

Reaction score
the Dimazrio site tells:

midrange adds a ton to your tone in the mix, and can always be dialed down in your EQ

noob_pwn

Reaction score
I used to own a 7321, you wont have a lack of midrange with most pickups in a basswood guitar. The BC's are super scooped at all, the dip in the EQ is probably to compensate for the midrange-focused tone of basswood for which they were designed.
I think an EVO7 would slay in this guitar.
Also, "midrange" and "EQ" in a pickup is nothing like that of an amp, it's just the easiest way for a company to describe a pickup's voicing and should not be used as rule of thumb IMO

')