RG1527 or RG1527z??? Wich one should I buy?

DuFF

7-string noob...
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm getting my first 7-string this month and I've decided to go with the 1527.

The thing is... shoud I hurry and get one the last ones with the Edge Pro 7 tremolo (RG1527) or wait and get one with the new Edge Zero 7 tremolo (RG1527z)???

The price is the same, so I just want to know wich one has the best tremolo system.

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Neither system is "best", just a bit different. It really depends on your use of the trem.

If you don't need the ZPS on the EZ trem, then go for the Edge Pro. If the Tremsetter like function of the ZPS is something you want, get the EZ model.

DuFF

7-string noob...
Reaction score
I see Max... well, I'm not that crazy tremolo guy who lift's his guitar with the tremolo bar, u know... I just need a trem that holds the tunning well to do some divebombs and some pitch lowering...

Oh, and thank you for your quick answer! =)

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
I see Max... well, I'm not that crazy tremolo guy who lift's his guitar with the tremolo bar, u know... I just need a trem that holds the tunning well to do some divebombs and some pitch lowering...

Oh, and thank you for your quick answer! =)

Get the one with the EZ then. I think it's a great trem regardless, and you can always remove the ZPS bar thingy to get the trem to feel "normal" if you want it to.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In that case, look into the Edge Zero. It's ZPS will help keep the system stable (returning it to it's zero point), and facilitate things like double stop bends, which all other trems don't do thanks to there loose, free floating nature. The trade off though, is that the trem is a lot stiffer making those fluttery Vai-esque effects almost impossible, though the ZPS can be removed.

DuFF

7-string noob...
Reaction score
Thanks again Max and Razzy, I think the Edge Zero is for me then!
One more thing, do you guys know if the RG1527z is avaliable in Royal Blue? I only find it in Black everywhere...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks again Max and Razzy, I think the Edge Zero is for me then!
One more thing, do you guys know if the RG1527z is avaliable in Royal Blue? I only find it in Black everywhere...

It is made in both the white with Maple fretboard version, and the Royal Blue version, but they are not available in all regions.

If you really want one not available in your region, try eBay.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I realise you've made a bit of a decision, but I personally strongly dislike the Zero, as do a lot of people. There was a bit discussion about this on Jemsite recently with people giving both sides of the argument. You also can't change the Zero, it's got a smaller route, if you went for a pro and didn't like it, you could get good money for it second hand and stick pretty much any floater in there. Just a thought...

Go for black with Maple if you go for the Z, it looks awesome!

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
I realise you've made a bit of a decision, but I personally strongly dislike the Zero, as do a lot of people. There was a bit discussion about this on Jemsite recently with people giving both sides of the argument. You also can't change the Zero, it's got a smaller route, if you went for a pro and didn't like it, you could get good money for it second hand and stick pretty much any floater in there. Just a thought...

does that mean even an Lo-Pro Edge-7 fits in an Edge-Pro equipped RG1527??

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Actually, there are very few, if any 7-string trems that'll fit in the route for the Edge Pro. I know for a fact an OFR7 takes work (I've done it to three RG7620 bodies), the TRS and Ping ones are just like the OFR, so unless they're specialized OEM ones, they will not fit. Trust me, I've tried. For 6-strings it's a different story, as Gotoh and Schallers sometimes work, but not the 7s. Are there any 7-string trems you know will fit in the Edge Pro route?

If anything it'd be easier to find units that fit in the Edge Zero route, as it's a larger route overall, and thus can come pretty close to fitting the large, rear exiting string lock bolts on 90% of 7-string trems currently on the market. It's easy enough to remove the ZPS and just place a regular trem claw. I know a few people who have done this.

As for the RG1527s, currently, there are none with both a black finish and a maple fretboard, and all the black RG1527s currently have the Edge Zero.

does that mean even an Lo-Pro Edge-7 fits in an Edge-Pro equipped RG1527??

It's a tight, fairly awkward fit, but it's workable. You may have to take a file to a few spots on the Edge Pro route where the corners of the Lo-Pro can scrape and mess with functionality.

Frey

Reaction score
Could anyone give me a good guess on when I won't be able to find any new 1527M's (or at least without ease) with the Edge Pro?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could anyone give me a good guess on when I won't be able to find any new 1527M's (or at least without ease) with the Edge Pro?

It's going to take awhile for the 7s to sell out. Most online retailers have the Edge Pro models in stock, and one can only assume the distributors have some in their inventories. That's not even factoring in the small shops.

I'd say sometime early next year is when Edge Pro equipped Ibanez 7s will be hard to come by. For every die hard Edge Pro fan there is hunting them down, there are some who dig the ZPS on the Edge Zero.

I've seen a lot of people looking for the Edge Zero version, so it may even take longer. I know the 6-string guitars with Edge Pro (which sell much more than their 7-string counterparts of course) are getting really hard to find, the same with the Edge Pro JEMs.

If you want one with an Edge Pro you shouldn't hold out to the end.

Frey

Reaction score
It's going to take awhile for the 7s to sell out. Most online retailers have the Edge Pro models in stock, and one can only assume the distributors have some in their inventories. That's not even factoring in the small shops.

I'd say sometime early next year is when Edge Pro equipped Ibanez 7s will be hard to come by. For every die hard Edge Pro fan there is hunting them down, there are some who dig the ZPS on the Edge Zero.

I've seen a lot of people looking for the Edge Zero version, so it may even take longer. I know the 6-string guitars with Edge Pro (which sell much more than their 7-string counterparts of course) are getting really hard to find, the same with the Edge Pro JEMs.

If you want one with an Edge Pro you shouldn't hold out to the end.

Thanks once again for your help. My guess was that it was a time frame close to that but I wanted to make sure there hadn't been any information that would dictate otherwise.

DuFF

7-string noob...
Reaction score
Hey doods, i'm back!
Well, I've searched a lot here, a couldn't find any Edge Zero RG1527s here in Brazil. (I actually found one, but it was WAAAAAAAY overpriced.). So I got a Edge Pro RG1527 and i'm really lovin' it.
I didn't like the pickups too much... Guess I'll get some Dimarzios right away!