RG1527 Project - Edge Pro 7 Piezo Mod

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Michael (a.k.a shotgunn here on ss.org) just sent me this short demo vid of my guitar. The guitar should arrive either tomorrow or Thursday, but for now this is just a teaser:

After it arrives, I'll eventually post some sound demos on SoundCloud that really focus on showcasing the piezo sounds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, the guitar has arrived but we have a little problem...

First, I'd like to say that I really hate shipping guitars. Too much potential for loss, damage, or theft.

That said, FedEx must've done something that jarred the electronics pretty badly. I won't detail the issues here, but suffice to say something came loose somewhere. Both the piezos and mags were affected.

Michael and I are weighing our options right now. He'll file a FedEx claim, and has offered to take the guitar back and fix. However, the thought of shipping this guitar again (with the very company that damaged it, no less) and being without it for an extended period again doesn't appeal to me. Then again, having a less-than-perfect guitar doesn't appeal either.

The guys who run guitarelectronics.com have a physical shop here in Phoenix. I'm wondering if they could diagnose and fix it. Some pretty complex/custom electronics work was done in there... so this isn't a job for your average tech.

Stay tuned...

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Well, the guitar has arrived but we have a little problem...

First, I'd like to say that I really hate shipping guitars. Too much potential for loss, damage, or theft.

That said, FedEx must've done something that jarred the electronics pretty badly. I won't detail the issues here, but suffice to say something came loose somewhere. Both the piezos and mags were affected.

Michael and I are weighing our options right now. He'll file a FedEx claim, and has offered to take the guitar back and fix. However, the thought of shipping this guitar again (with the very company that damaged it, no less) and being without it for an extended period again doesn't appeal to me. Then again, having a less-than-perfect guitar doesn't appeal either.

The guys who run guitarelectronics.com have a physical shop here in Phoenix. I'm wondering if they could diagnose and fix it. Some pretty complex/custom electronics work was done in there... so this isn't a job for your average tech.

Stay tuned...

Damn! That really sucks, man! I hope you can get that resolved without too much of a nightmare. :ugh:

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Damn! That really sucks, man! I hope you can get that resolved without too much of a nightmare. :ugh:

As a side note, what DOES work sounds fantastic. 5 of the 7 piezos are fine, so if we can just get the 2 duds to work, this is going to be amazing.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Hope everything works out for you man, really sweet sounding and looking instrument

We've filed a FedEx claim, so now we wait. This will get fixed one way or the other, we're just hoping FedEx owns-up and pays us for the damage. That'll cover our extra costs for shipping (again), and the extra labor needed to fix.

What is that push toggle called, and where can I get one?

I think it's just called a "pushbutton switch" and believe the manufacturer part # is: AV09401ZBE

Just Google that p/n and you'll find a few places that sell them. Not sure where shotgunn got mine, so you'd have to PM him.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
UPDATE:

FedEx agreed to pay for the damage/repairs. So, Shotgunn should be finishing those up this week, and so far everything's going smoothly. Looking forward to posting some sound clips soon.

Any recommendations on how to get a decent acoustic sound from a peizo system like this? I've looked at some acoustic modeling pedals (like those made by Fishman), but it would be nice to just tweak my HD Pro to get something passable.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Just got the guitar back, and everything is fantastic (and FedEx didn't destroy it in shipping).

I'm still getting a little low-level hiss whenever I use the mags + gain. However, an experiment revealed that the hiss is only present when I use my stereo TRS cable + Y cable... into the L & R line inputs on my POD HD Pro. When I use a standard mono guitar cable and plug into the HD Pro's front guitar input, the hiss is gone (but doing so means I can't hear the piezos).

This stereo-guitar stuff is totally foreign to me, so I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. For now, just a touch of noise gate easily quashes the hiss.

This is a busy, busy week, but I'll try to get some piezo sound clips up sometime this month. I still need to dial in some good acoustic-y patches on my HD Pro.

')