RG1527 Refinish

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Hey, I don't post much on here, I tend to stalk alot more than contribute, but yesterday I decided to refinish my 1527 and make it more METAL!!! than it already is. I'm sure you all have a good idea of what a black dinged up and scratched up 1527 workhorse looks like, so i have no "before" pics. It was basically all stock except with an evo 7 in the bridge and an air norton 7 in the neck. This project is probably going to take a while but here's some pics of the first steps...

I'm still not sure what to do with it after all the paint is off though (still need to do the sides). Natural? White with black JPM stickers? Textured? Bright pink with a hello kitty decal? suggestions are appreciated :D

Attachments

• Electric sandage.jpg
    Electric sandage.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 89
  • More electric sandage.jpg
    More electric sandage.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Covered in dust after sanding for about an hour.jpg
    Covered in dust after sanding for about an hour.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Woot! No more paint.jpg
    Woot! No more paint.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 189
  • Went a bit crazy in the contour... it's not THAT bad though.jpg
    Went a bit crazy in the contour... it's not THAT bad though.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Kitty decals FTW!!! :rofl:

I'd say white with black body binding/outlining paint. Make the headstock match it. :shrug:

Ramsay777

Is an A7X fan
Reaction score
I'd go for a totally outrageous colour myself...

Make it like it just came out the eighties! :agreed: Like one of the old RG550 colours or something, it'd look awesome

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good so far. I think I would try and go for a color that is totally different! Go to a paint store and have them mix you up a custom color so you will be the only one with that color! Keep up the good work!

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I can imagine that in green similar to the LTD I think Dendro did with a matching headstock. :yesway:

daybean

Contributor
Reaction score
well the sides are the hardest to sand, geting around the pointy sides of the guitar are the hardest! you need to do it by hand. i dont think hello kitty is to metal, try my little pony.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
white. not enough white guitars.

failing that, as light a blue as you can get. pretty much, people would be doing doubletakes to make sure it was, in fact, a tiny bit blue and not white lol.

that's what I'd do. Or give it a JP7ish feel, and get that metallic orange colour. white, light blue, or that.

PeteLaramee

AssMaster General
Reaction score
I refinished an old rg550 and ended up leaving some of the original paint in some spots and sprayed a transluscent blue over it. It ended up looking something like a bsb, which didn't even occur to me at the time. Mostly I did it because I'm lazy.

I'm currently refinishing a black rg7620 in a similar fashion, but I'm only doing the top. Like someone else posted above it just takes too long to sand the sides. :wallbash:

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Thx for all the feedback guys :hbang:. I realize the sides will probably be deathly hard to sand but the thing is they're kinda scratched up/chipped and I think in the long run it'll be better to just redo the whole thing. Black body binding does sound metal though. Anyway I should get around to sanding the sides off tomorrow hopefully. Can't today because of stupid honors precalc homework...

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I would think you could sand the sides with a drill, if you could get something round with sandpaper on the sides to use with it. A round chunk of wood like a TP roll with sandpaper glued to the sides, attached to a headless bolt or something.....maybe a 2 inch piece of wood with a bolt through it, so that the bolt head was on one side with the threaded bit coming out the other, put the threaded bit into the drill and off you go. The wood and a bolt should cost less than a dollar each at a hardware store if you have a drill already, and you're done. Or not :lol: But if it works it will sand the cutouts right quick with far less effort on your part.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Id say a dark pearl blue or green looks awesome with the cosmo

well the sides are the hardest to sand, geting around the pointy sides of the guitar are the hardest! you need to do it by hand. i dont think hello kitty is to metal, try my little pony.

for my final group project in Comp Sci 335, we did java networked hearts, and we all dressed up in suit and tie to demonstrate it to the class, and we made the whole thing my little pony themed. we had the theme song playing loud the whole time on a loop, and there was no way to turn it off. shit was epic

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
hmm im ganna vote for the White finsih idea
and with black binding if ur into binding too :yesway:

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
WOOT!! I just finished sanding the contours so it's all ready for a primer now. New pics are up!

Attachments

• NO MORE PAINT!!!.jpg
    NO MORE PAINT!!!.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 51
  • No more contour paint.jpg
    No more contour paint.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 50
  • More Contour Sanding.jpg
    More Contour Sanding.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Contour Sanding.jpg
    Contour Sanding.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 42
  • METAL!!! Now time for primer.jpg
    METAL!!! Now time for primer.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 54

Randomist

Reaction score
matte black over matte red and "relic" the paintjob slightly

or fluro, any fluro colour, maybe with black "binding"

or make it glow in the dark... i have seen the paints out there for this

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
yeah the glow in the dark idea definetly sounds cool. Right now i think i'm debating between white, looks/feels-like-rock-stuff, some color combination of mystic dream, or glow in the dark.

Celiak

Reaction score
Can you make it so the glow in the dark finish is opaque, so you could see the grain still? I think that would be awesome.

')