RG1570 refinish

• Thread starter Slide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slide

Reaction score
This project began quite some time ago and was left to gather dust for a while. But now here it is.
P91000031.jpg

P10400011.jpg

P40800011.jpg

P40800021.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slide

Reaction score
First of all I wanted a natural finish, and since I love my Ibby, it was the perfect candidate. The practical idea behind this was, that a coating as thick the one that Ibanez applies would sort trap the natural vibration of the wood in a "box" so to speak. At first I was somewhat worried about the quality of wood used for this body. But it turned out it was ok. Oddly there is a paper thin sheet of wood on the bottom of the body. But now some insight on the work done.
At first I tried all sorts of paint etc removers. None of them seemed to do little more than scratch the surface. So I resorted to a heat gun and a scraper/chisel. Got the body stripped in about 30min. Then some sanding followed. For the top I used a sheet of karelian birch. Then It was a matter of trimming the edges and doing some more sanding. After that some nice coats of clear followed.
Was it worth the hassle? HELL YEAH!!! Just look at this beauty! And now the resonance of the wood is considerably more present.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
wow i love all natural wood finishes. and this one is spectacular

good job :)

where did you buy the birch and how much did it cost (if you don't mind me asking)?

Slide

Reaction score
Actually got it free of charge from a friend of mine who runs a furniture repair shop. It was my luck, cause the shops ask for insane amounts cash for rare woods, and they only sell them in large quantities.

Jontain

Reaction score
Looks really great, i love guitars getting refinished, really gives them new life.

Is it a veneer or is it actually a top you added to the body?

Slide

Reaction score
It's a veneer, single ply. I did consider making the body thinner and adding a figured maple top, but then I stumbled upon this beautiful veneer.

')