RG2228 Pickup Help

• Thread starter Chuck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
Hey do0ds, I'm not really digging the EMG 808X's in my RG2228M and am going to buy a replacement set. The things I don't like about the 808x's are:

- too muddy for low F#
- not clear enough on chords
- too round sounding and not bright enough for my taste
- overall lack of bite and punch

I'm mainly looking at SD and BKP since they offer active sized options. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :hbang:

EDIT: thanks you to the mod who moved this to the correct section :lol:

EDIT: I'll consider DiMarzio's as well. If I get a set of those ill just get covers from mojotone

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gabesrups

Reaction score
I'm going to replace my 808s. I want to get some ionizers but I heard it looks ridiculous if you try to fit those in the rg2228 due to the size of the EMGs.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I don't think BKP does active size covers on their 8 string models :2c:

I remember in your NGD that you mentioned the guitar came with a couple of bass strings for the 7th and 8th strings; have you swapped those out? I had a bass string on one of my 7's for about a day and it was really muddy, undefined, and bad. Basically, using bass strings likely have a hand in the issues you listed with the 808X's

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I'm also considering new pickups for my 2228. I've tried a pegasus/sentient 7 set in an rgd I had tuned to G. It did sound great, very open and a little dry, in a good way. I'm also looking at an 8 string 57/66 set.

Chuck

Reaction score
I don't think BKP does active size covers on their 8 string models :2c:

I remember in your NGD that you mentioned the guitar came with a couple of bass strings for the 7th and 8th strings; have you swapped those out? I had a bass string on one of my 7's for about a day and it was really muddy, undefined, and bad. Basically, using bass strings likely have a hand in the issues you listed with the 808X's

Oh I know and I already put Circle K's on

EDIT: and yeah I thought they did active sized covers for 8's, but only 7's. In which case it will just get EMG covers just like I would for DiMarzios

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
My vote goes towards a D-Activator 8

I so far have definitely not been a fan of those in my 2228... though it's also possible it's a string and EQ issue, since I'm not all that great at making patches with my Ultra/am using default cabs.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I so far have definitely not been a fan of those in my 2228... though it's also possible it's a string and EQ issue, since I'm not all that great at making patches with my Ultra/am using default cabs.

You should get a Mark IV...:coffee:...you know, for ease of use. :lol:

ERGonomic

Banned
Reaction score
Keep the 808 in the neck, its perfectly fine there.

Buy a Seymour Duncan Blackout Bridge and swap it in the bridge.

That's that!

:D

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
^ Well what about it don't you like?

I've been having trouble getting it to balance nicely. Getting clear low string notes has been difficult (definitely agree with the descriptions of "dark") without getting very harsh treble and kinda thin mid strings; adding mids seems to just make the low strings sound.. well, crappy :lol:

Chuck

Reaction score
I've been having trouble getting it to balance nicely. Getting clear low string notes has been difficult (definitely agree with the descriptions of "dark") without getting very harsh treble and kinda thin mid strings; adding mids seems to just make the low strings sound.. well, crappy :lol:

All right, cool. I had a DA 6 in an RGA and I really didn't like it all that much so I don't think I'll try the 8 string version

Given To Fly

Reaction score
But I don't like either pickup :squint:

Nor do I want to stay active.

Don't worry about not liking the 808x's, nobody is perfect. :cool:

Kidding of course. As for replacement pickups, I see no reason why you shouldn't go with a pair of Lundgren M8C's. :yesway:

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I would go with the Duncan Sentient/Nazgul Soapbar size and switch over to passive then. I have Blackouts in my RG2228, but this was way before any of these new pickups came out or Lundgren decided to make covers. So, I don't really feel like changing them again, but like I said I would do the Duncan passives in the Soapbar size!

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
All right, cool. I had a DA 6 in an RGA and I really didn't like it all that much so I don't think I'll try the 8 string version

To be fair, I've heard that the DA 8 really doesn't have all that much in common with the DA 6/7, as DiMarzio kinda just needed a name for it when they brought it out :lol:

Latest posts

')