RG2228 Weakness

• Thread starter Krauthammer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dsm3sx

Rise and Fall
Reaction score
I didn't have any spare parts :(

so I did this

ibanezsaddle.jpg

Side screw cut view
ibanezsaddle2.jpg

Remember the Cut can't be deep, You have to just get access to the screw !

Did it on my friends Jackson and it works fine

and by the way, it was a "lo-pro" or how do you call it ...Jackson Trem..

The whole thing is really simple... really..
If I could do it so can You :)

Why would you do this???!!!!!!! This is hack work!
Sorry, but I have about 3 years of aerospace machining experience and this is a VERY common problem. Don't mutilate your guitar's bridge over this.

Here is the correct fix:

Take the saddle off the guitar place in a padded vice. Center punch the broken screw. Drill a small hole on the punch mark and use a screw extractor to pull the broken stud out. That is it.I have done it a million times on much smaller screws and pieces than a bridge saddle.
Should take about 15 mins. and cost less than 5 bucks if you don't have one... and you will not fuck up the saddle by carving a giant gash in the back of it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have about 3 years of aerospace machining experience and this is a VERY common problem. Don't mutilate your guitar's bridge over this.

Here is the correct fix:

Take the saddle off the guitar place in a padded vice. Center punch the broken screw. Drill a small hole on the punch mark and use a screw extractor to pull the broken stud out. That is it.I have done it a million times on much smaller screws and pieces than a bridge saddle.
Should take about 15 mins. and cost less than 5 bucks if you don't have one... and you will not fuck up the saddle by carving a giant gash in the back of it.
:agreed: absolutely the best option.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Here is the correct fix:

I also agree, this is exactly how I fix this problem in my shop.

Krauthammer

Reaction score
My "tech" guy attempted the screw extraction. He didn't possess the proper tools to latch onto such a small screw. However, a quick call brought us to a new saddle piece. It will arrive in 5-7 days (with warranty, imagine my shock, from Ibanez....:eek:) Apparently, I did not know this, but the Edge III for the 8's, (and probably 6 and 7), all the saddles are specifically designed for each string. So retrofitting any other saddle piece, though it may fit, action and intonation would be screwed :lol:. So, a new one will arrive soon, and free. Also, the Lundgren has been placed in the gi, and it really really shreds:shred: That chug has never been sweeter through my recto! :hbang: i just have to be extra careful not to break that 4th string until that saddle arrives. such dangerous territory....

bronz79

Reaction score
Yesterday i'll just finished open up the low E1 saddle for 0.80..a good work..when i've tightened the bolt..the same as Krauthammer.:wallbash:

xfilth

Phrygianist
Reaction score
Am I the only person who has never experienced such faults after 5-6 years of owning 6 different Ibanez guitars? :eek:

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I've got several guitars with Edge III bridges / trems and this shit has happened to me thrice already. I've been getting replacment saddles from Ibanez, so it was an easy fix for me, but the quality of the screws on this bridge is awful.

I'm just waiting for this to happen again. Next time, I'm gonna have them ship a bunch of saddles to me, because it'll happen over and over again anyways. And no, I don't try and fasten them super tight, the metal is just soft and of the worst quality. I'm glad they replaced all the Edge III trem units on their lower end guitars with the new Edge Zero II, because it can't be worse than this. Any other Ibanez bridge works just fine for me.

shredguitar7

Reaction score
i dunno about the 2228 but i just got a RGA8 and i heard all the horror stories of the bridge screw ripping out of the wood cuz people would try and raise or lower it without loosening the strings, which honestly. it should be built to withstand that better. so i was careful. i didnt even touch the fucking action, or anything, put heavier strings on. tuned it up, and then 5 minutes later im sitting their, not even touching it, at the other side of the room, and i hear, " POP " and i see the bridge all fucked up. screw ripped straight out. sending this piece of shit back. first and last ibanez ill ever own.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
quite sad such a high quality guitar sports white metal bridge

always had a doubt about the Edge III's quality :S

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
REMOVING HAS BEEN COVERED

now i just feel sad, only problems i heard about this bridge was the back screw for the body coming right out of the wood, other than that i didn't know of any other issues. this makes me sad, it's a comfy bridge, and great for quick fine tuning.

hopefully shit liek this doesn't happen often, but sometimes, SHIT HAPPENS, still sucks though

bronz79

Reaction score
I must admit: i'm pretty happy of my 2228,no problem doing setup of action or the bridge center bolt (that MUST be loosend raising the action!)
but i'm REALLY upset of this stupid problem now that i've found my perfect setup: E1/D4 with Elixir 0.80 (bass)/ 0.10..opened the nut..opened the saddle..clamped back...

..so is really possible to extract the screw without damaging the inner saddle thread?

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced these issues on bridges other than the 2228's and RGA8s?

I just grabbed an MTM2 from a fella here on SS.org and now I'm paranoid.:ugh:

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced these issues on bridges other than the 2228's and RGA8s?

I just grabbed an MTM2 from a fella here on SS.org and now I'm paranoid.:ugh:
the MTM2 has the fixed edge III bridge, which is basically the same thing, just the 6-string version. so yes, it could happen to you. my edge III tremolo on my RGR 6er had the same issue, just like my RGA8.

Reaction score
I've changed out strings on both my Ibby 8's numerous times plus hundreds of other times on Floyds & Edge bridges without any such problems. Overtightening the saddle clamp screws and nut clamp screws on any guitar will have these results. Stop drinking the quart sized Rockstars before changing strings... lol...

On a side note, when using those big strings you can file a small groove in the clamping block which helps hold the string and then you don't have to tighten the screw as much.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Man, I'm glad the only Ibanez bridges I have are an original Edge and a (double) Edge Pro. This seems to happen a bit too much on the newer systems.

Reaction score
shitsøn;2616524 said:
the MTM2 has the fixed edge III bridge, which is basically the same thing, just the 6-string version. so yes, it could happen to you. my edge III tremolo on my RGR 6er had the same issue, just like my RGA8.

Awww, Dicks.

b7string

Reaction score
You know that very same thing happened to me on a RGR5EX1 a crappy low end Guitar Center Ibanez and I got so pissed I shattered the whole guitar into peices. I absolutely hate all of Ibanezs newer bridges. I want the Edge Lo Pro back!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 a thousand times over. I could not agree more. Call me old fashioned, but they just aren't up to the same calibre as the old bridges in the edge/lo-pro/edge-pro era

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
I've never understood why Ibanez is putting an Edge III variant on a Prestige guitar. Their ZR and Edge Zero bridges are absolutely awesome and very well made, and that's what you generally find on their high-end instruments. I've been tempted by this guitar many times, but the bridge is a deal killer for me.

I owned one guitar with an Edge III, the XPT700. While tightening a new string in place, one of the string lock inserts broke in half – which has never happened on any of my four OFRs, the ZR on my old S Prestige, or the Edge Zero on my RGD2127Z. I crap harder metals than that.

squid-boy

Reaction score
The only problem I've had with my RG2228 are the fine tuners for the (conventionally) G-B strings being stripped and difficult to turn. I want to fix it, but I'll do that at the same time I change the pickups...

I've had the guitar since September '08, so...

NPD soon?

')