RG2550E vs RG1570

• Thread starter rummy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rummy

maybe this year
Contributor
Reaction score
After considering a couple guitars, I decided to go Ibanez Prestige for my next shredder. I'm looking at two of the cheaper Prestige line models RG2550E and the RG1570.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG2550E

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG1570

I didn't at first, but I'm starting to like the mirage blue finish a lot on the 1570. I got to see it in person, under a spot light the other day, and it looked awesome! Yet, I can't steer away from the old school pickguard look on top of black. I believe they share the neck, but have slightly different pickups. I don't have experience with either the V set or the IBZs. Which would make the better lead guitar? Thanks. :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The DMZ-IBZ pups in the 2550 aren't that bad actually...but I was playing it through a line6 spider II so you never know, lol.

The 2550 is a black sparkle finish...just for the record, it's a sick guitar...I think it's really just the pickguard and colour which is different between the two...I like the 2550 better...

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
well both come with subpar pickups, the 2550 is more cuz the pickguard, color and the "IBZ/Dimarzio" pups. i love the 1570s mirage blue finish.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
meh just a couple of rg's... the only difference really is gonna be the pick guard or no pick guard, and the colors... you're gonna probably wind up changing pups in both anyways...

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
so unless you absolutely have to have the pick guard or the color, i'd go with the cheaper one, or get an older RG550 or RG570, nothing wrong with those.

rummy

maybe this year
Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like they're hard to come by. I mean I check ebay and craigslist everyday for those things. When they do show up, they usually cost too much for what they are, or are too beat up and wild for my liking. That's why I decided to go Prestige instead. :\

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I had one of the last RG550's. They were identical in appearence to the RG2550's but had Lo-Pro trems and the V7-V1-V8 pickup combination. It was a really nice guitar that I only sold due to my 7 string addiction. Definitely the best playing 6 string I've ever owned. I liked the sound of the pickups too, but I've not tried the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups so I can't compare them.

steve777

Reaction score
I think those 2550's look sweet. Just add some purple Dimarzio's, to that smoke mirror pickguard and Galaxy Black finish, and you got one sharp looking guitar. If I were to get another sixer, that would definately be one of my top considerations.

rummy

maybe this year
Contributor
Reaction score
Unknown Doodl3.2 said:
there's an ad on jemsite right now for an rg1570 in mirage red (cooler then the blue IMO) for 500$... it looks mint

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51521
Hmm. I guess I never bothered to check jemsite for used gear. That is a good deal! Except I like the blue one better!

I'm leaning towards the 1570. I really dig the blue sparkle, and I like the fact that the pickups are body mounted, as opposed to pickguarded 2550. Since I'm swapping the V8/V1/V7 for ToneZone/BlueVelvet/AirNorton respectively, I think this will work out great for me. Plus, it's about $100 cheaper than the 2550.

Nick1

Reaction score
I dont like the middle pickup. It sounds fine it just gets in the way of my picking. The only guitar I have with a middle pickup is my Yngwie Strat and I lowered the pickup so it is flush with the body. I only use positions 1 and 3 on the toggle.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
another thing i dont think got mentioned is that the older RG's 5xx and up have the wizard neck which is 16mm and the prestige line have a prestige wizard neck which is 17mm.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG2570E&z=y

This is the one i'd pick -- the RG2570. Its like the nicer version of the RG1570. Its got badass reflective sharkfin inlays and slgihtly-better-but-you'll-probably-change-them pickups. The finish is also cooler.

Or hunt down a used late model RG570 in cyber pink. Had a Lo-Pro and a colour matched headstock, plus it's a nicer silver. Yes, cyber pink is actually silver :nuts:

rummy

maybe this year
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG2570E&z=y

This is the one i'd pick -- the RG2570. Its like the nicer version of the RG1570. Its got badass reflective sharkfin inlays and slgihtly-better-but-you'll-probably-change-them pickups. The finish is also cooler.
You know I do like that guitar a lot. I'm a sucker for the sharkfins. BUT! I already have two gray/silver guitars, man. As vain as it sounds, that mirage blue finish was a big selling factor for me.

So, I pulled the trigger. :metal:

44fecc27b9716964450658.jpg

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well the RG570's came in blue too. With Sharkfins. Some of the earlier ones even had reverse headstocks too.

Still, hopefully you'll be shredding away soon. :metal:

')