Which should I buy?

• RG2550EX

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • RG2550Z

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these two guitars, both available used for a similar price.

RG2550Z:
5-piece maple & walnut Wizard Prestige (58mm / 18mm / 20mm)
Edge Zero w/ ZPS3

RG2550EX:
3-piece maple Super Wizard Prestige (56mm / 17mm / 19mm)
Edge Pro

The Z is in pristine condition, but Wizard Prestiges were wider in 2009 than they used to be (58mm instead of 56mm at the last fret). The EX has a few chips/dings on the rear edges and some minor buckle rash.

They are both too far away to try before I buy and there is nowhere locally that I can test out bridges/necks on similar guitars. What I do know is that I actually quite like the Wizard II and Edge III on my Xiphos (my first Ibanez, so a big upgrade on what I was used to at time of purchase), but prefer the neck and ZR w/ ZPS2 bridge on my prestige Saber, which I bought later.

Which do you recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
I would take the 2550ex as I really like edge pro over zero, but that's just my preference. In the end it all comes down to prices, conditions of the guitars and taste.

GXPO

Reaction score
I have a 2550ex and have never had any issues with the edge pro.. A lot of guys suggest replacing the studs with the locking variety in basswood but if you're not going mental with the trem it should be fine. If want any close ups of anything or have any questions let me know.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I owned an 03 galaxy black EX and 08 galaxy white Z.
I prefer the edge zero and subtlety wider neck profile of the z over the ex. Honestly they're both great guitars, I still have the 2008 Z. It holds tune exceptionally well, and while the zps3 is an odd unit, it's comforting knowing one string going out of tune or breaking completely won't render the other 5 useless. Also the included thumb screw on the side is awesome for set up changes as you can intonate so easily.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I would take the 2550ex as I really like edge pro over zero, but that's just my preference. In the end it all comes down to prices, conditions of the guitars and taste.
I've heard it said fairly often that the earlier prestige models are better, but I'm not sure whether this is because of the Super Wizard and Edge Pro, supposedly better quality control or what. Because of this, I was tempted by the 2550EX, even though it's in worse condition (and similar price).
The 2550Z is in mint condition...has mostly sat in it's case. The 2550EX has 3 or 4 dings/chips (but not in really noticeable places), minor buckle rash and some minimal fret ware (because it has actually been played).
To make my decision harder, both are the same colour: galaxy black.
Every time I look through the photos, I'm becoming more and more tempted by the slightly prettier 2550Z.
The one thing I'm certain of is that I'll love which ever one I end up with :)

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I owned an 03 galaxy black EX and 08 galaxy white Z.
I prefer the edge zero and subtlety wider neck profile of the z over the ex. Honestly they're both great guitars, I still have the 2008 Z. It holds tune exceptionally well, and while the zps3 is an odd unit, it's comforting knowing one string going out of tune or breaking completely won't render the other 5 useless. Also the included thumb screw on the side is awesome for set up changes as you can intonate so easily.
Have you used a tremolo with ZPS2 to know how the ZPS3 compares to this? I have ZPS2 on my S2170SE and get on really well with it. Probably difficult to compare ZPS systems when they're attached to completely different tremolos though...ZR has a very different feel and is more stable than any other tremelo in the first place.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I have a 2550ex and have never had any issues with the edge pro.. A lot of guys suggest replacing the studs with the locking variety in basswood but if you're not going mental with the trem it should be fine. If want any close ups of anything or have any questions let me know.
Really appreciate the offer, but lack of photos is not an issue. Both sellers have been very helpful in sending additional photos.
I read an article about the studs on ibanezrules.com and it sounded to me like it was only something that might be an issue if you are very rough with the trem, but might never be an issue at all...I won't pretend to be an expert though.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar, OP! I'm sure it will be great guitar for years to come.

I've had a 2550ex many moons ago and it was a great guitar until my gas syndrome took over and I swapped it to jackson rr5, iirc.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Either one would have been a great choice but crongats on a fantastic guitar. So now you can actually chime in on the difference between the ZPS2 vs ZPS3 as I don't remember ever playing a guitar with a 2, but I haven't ever had an issue with any mid 2000 and earlier Prestige trem. My favorite is still the Low Pro on my '99 S1520 but like I said before the ZPS3 has been incredibly stable over the last 10 years.

jengofret

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
sorry to necro thread but does anyone know what bridges I can fit in the cavity of a 2550z? I think it has an edge zero but it's just regular springs. bought in 2007
-low pro 6?
-original floyd
thanks,

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
sorry to necro thread but does anyone know what bridges I can fit in the cavity of a 2550z? I think it has an edge zero but it's just regular springs. bought in 2007
-low pro 6?
-original floyd
thanks,

If it has edge zero I'd say without routing you can put in edge zero.

jengofret

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it has edge zero I'd say without routing you can put in edge zero.
cheers but not really an answer. I guess I'll just pull the floyd off my edwards E-AL-166 and check that when I restring again. also have an edge-III my mate left so I can check that

Last edited:

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
cheers but not really an answer. I guess I'll just pull the floyd off my edwards E-AL-166 and check that when I restring again. also have an edge-III my mate left so I can check that

Not an answer? It's the only real answer... I bet you can't put any other bridge in there without modifying the routings. Anyway... Please post the results once you just drop in the floyd or edge 3 and it works. :)

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
-low pro 6?
-original floyd
thanks,
Not really the answer you wanted, but Jarmake is right. Your choice seems to be limited to Edge Zero or Edge Zero II (same but cheaper alloy).

https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/...nce-chart-master-reference-thread-157993.html
attachment.php