RG570 - Turning into a RG565. This months project.

• Thread starter ridealot100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ridealot100

Reaction score
So I started with a beaten 1990 rg570 that I picked up for a small bit of cash off of a guitar tech that I work next door to. He knows I'm an MIJ Ibanez fiend so he came over with it and knew it would end up in my possession.

The hardware was in ok shape, and the body was beaten. However, the bridge and the neck were in excellent shape. It's a perfectly quarter sawn RG550 neck, so I got a little giddy.

I took it all apart and started in on restoring it. I refinished it with a tung oil finish and made the headstock match.
I also picked up some pearloid tuner buttons and filed them slightly to make them fit snug. This made it all pop. After that I copper plated the electronics cavity and soldered everything up. I also modded the bridge very slightly to accept a schaller trem arm because I've always liked them a little more than the stock Ibby setup.

I chose a D-activator-X bridge and a D-activator neck.

I satinized the neck and walla. Here are a few photos of where it's at now. I will elaborate more in a 2nd post.

DSC06440.jpg

DSC06416.jpg

DSC06693.jpg

DSC06701.jpg

DSC06695.jpg

DSC06696.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ridealot100

Reaction score
The newest update is that I am ordering a RG-565 custom body. Its going to be Alder with a Jem claw style bridge routing and direct mounted pickups. The finish will be very similar and I may incorporate some gold hardware (possibly). I have yet to pick out a neck pickup so I am open to suggestions! I really just want a nice lead pickup with solid cleans also. Preferably something a little less noisy.
I am pretty sure that I will do a lower horn cutaway also.

I will keep you guys updated!!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Mmmmm, dat neck. Looks awesome man, pretty excited to see what you do with it.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
Allow me to recommend the ibanez usa c2. They are the same as a dimarzio HS-2, but rebadged. They can be found pretty cheap and if you don't like them saying c2 you can just put a dimarzio cover on them.

ridealot100

Reaction score
Mini update! I've got wood! For my guitar! ha.

Decided to go with swamp ash so It would look good with a tung oil finish.

and thanks guys!

2.jpg

1.jpg

ridealot100

Reaction score
So this made my morning. :bowdown:

Im drooling all over my keyboard.. Couldn't be more happy with how it turned out. I contacted him on friday, and he sent me some photos of the wood I could use. he put up with me pestering him with tons of questions and alterations. But this is how it came out

An rg565 with a jem claw cavity, jem input jack, and rear cuttaway.

This is - mai-guitar off of ebay. Excellent guy to deal with

Do you think I should attempt a rustey cooley mod? Not entirely sure. I have the tools.

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

ridealot100

Reaction score
Im excited to sand her down and throw some tung oil on it. I can't wait to see how it looks finished.
I am thinking about getting some rosewood knobs, and then cutting out rosewood truss rod and cavity covers.

The pickups I am not %100 on still. For some reason I am thinking covered pickups would look amazing, but It's rough trying to match the bridge and the neck pickup with a single in the front.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
Im excited to sand her down and throw some tung oil on it. I can't wait to see how it looks finished.
I am thinking about getting some rosewood knobs, and then cutting out rosewood truss rod and cavity covers.

The pickups I am not %100 on still. For some reason I am thinking covered pickups would look amazing, but It's rough trying to match the bridge and the neck pickup with a single in the front.

Get a chrome cover for the bridge and a tele pickup for the neck maybe?

ridealot100

Reaction score
I need something a little hotter than a tele pickup. But that kind of cover would look pretty good. It'd be very 80s paul gilbert. ha

Here's one last shot before I take her apart for the facelift!!
I may actually sell the old body if anyone is interested.
DSC06745.jpg

ridealot100

Reaction score
As nice as those laces would be! I actually got my pickups in the mail yesterday!

So here is another update.

The guitar body cracked slightly while putting the bridge anchors in, but it was repaired by my local guitar tech. I also picked up some hardware. I decided to go with a slightly different selector switch than what is typically used on an Ibby. If you guys are interested I can always elaborate. They are just a little better quality. I also picked up some better pots and modified the body to fit them.

I am loving the look of this new jack location and I can't wait to put her together. I am waiting on some neck screws tomorrow because the older Ibanez ones are slightly longer than they should be and I don't want to damage my RG550 neck. So in my free time I am copper coating the electronics cavity. I also needed to drill out the hole that leads to the electronics cavity to make more room for wires.

NEW PICKUPS also! I went with a BKP nailbomb for the bridge and a Dimarzio Air nortion s for the neck.

So here are a few photos.

Just a typical night. The Canucks are winning! :yesway:

DSC06766.jpg

DSC06751.jpg

DSC06763.jpg

DSC06756.jpg

DSC06753.jpg

DSC06760.jpg

DSC06761.jpg

HighPotency

Reaction score
Ohh you're the guy who made that thread about the stress fracture in your new body, aren't you?

Out of curiosity, what was the solution the tech used?

Btw that swamp ash looks sexy.

ridealot100

Reaction score
Yea man. That is me. ha. The tech just introduced a chemical to the wood that draws the glue in and then glued the crack up and checked for chipping to ensure a tight bond. He said it was a crack that alot of people would just leave alone, but the glue will make it avoid any further issues.

And thanks! Im stoked to get it playable

ridealot100

Reaction score
Some photos in the sunlight to make up for some of the earlier ones.

The neck has a flame too it that shifts in the sun. Pretty cool for a stock 550 neck!

DSC06768.jpg

DSC06773.jpg

Latest posts

')