RG7321 EMG 707

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
it means that you'll have to route the body to fit the pickup and change the electronics. The EMG707 are fitted in a 5-string bass pikcup housing that's a bit bigger than regular passive pickups. As for the electronics, EMGs require a battery, 25 kOhm instead of 500 kOhm pots and a stereo jack (so that the pickup is 'off' when a cable is not inserted).

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
oh, the seymour duncan blackout's are also active pickups and are also available in a housing that will fit in the rg7321 routes without additional work. you might want to check out those.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought EMG 707 HZ-B passive. Would it fit?

hehe, this post came faster than my second :)

ok, that means you won't have to change electronics, but you'll still have to route the body.

there's plenty of people who have routed their ibbys to fit EMG7s on this site. use the search function :)

Reaction score
ugh. I'd rather not. In fact I really didn't want an EMG, but it was on ebay and I got it for $20. I guess I could sell it back. I just don't want to go through the hassle of doing stuff to the body.

What I would like to do is put a Dimarzio in the bridge and maybe the neck. Maybe an EVO or Blaze. I want a good one for heavy distortion and a good one for clean. Probably bridge for heavy distortion (so I can strum the strings harder) and the neck for the clean. I'll just have to see, assuming I even buy the 7 string I want.

Too bad college text books are EFFING expensive..

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't go through the hassle myself neither :)

I'd tried both the Blaze bridge and Evo7 in my ibby 7 and i liked the Evo7 A LOT better. It's heavy, clear and articulate, whereas the blaze was a bit muddier. The Evo7 is overall balanced sounding and not ultra-high output like say, a X2N7. Also, the Air Norton 7 would be a good match for the neck position.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but I've never liked any of EMG's passive humbucker pickups at all.
They sound bland to me :shrug: but some of their single coils are nice sounding though:)
Definitely go for Blackouts if you're looking at active, otherwise for passive get some Dimarzios or BKP.

Spondus

Reaction score
would not recommend anyone use emg HZs, they suck...
I got a router for christmas and am using it to put 707s in an rg :)

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I'm real interested in actives. From what it sounds like, actives are for real high gain (like for shredders) and I don't really want that. Besides, you can just get a pedal for that.

Yeah that EVO sounds nice. According to Dimarzio, the Evo has

Treble: 6.5
Mid: 7
Bass: 6.5

Whereas the Blaze (bridge) has

Treble: 6
Mid: 4.5
Bass: 7.5

I like bass, but with the mid being that low, it would make sense if it did end up sounding muddy. Especially if tuning down to Drop A or A standard

Air Norton (Neck)

Treble: 5
Mid: 7
Bass: 7

That might sound good too :)

I played a 7321 in local shop today. Wasn't able to plug it in, but it played and felt great. Was really light weight, compared to a Schecter Omen 7. Almost as light as my RG170.

Anyways, the guy had already "set the guitar up". I played it in drop A, and although the string was naturally wobbly, it wasn't that bad. There wasn't any buzzing while playing the strings about the neck pickup, but there was plenty of buzzing when playing right above the bridge. Not too sure why, but I'm not too worried about that, cuz I usually play above the neck pickup anyway.

One thing that annoyed me was that both pickups were extremely close to the strings. I kept hitting them with my guitar pick. If I did have the guitar plugged in, will it make a certain sound when I hit the pickups?

')