RG7321 HELP- pickups, tuning, and case.

Reaction score
Ok I've been wanting a 7-string, Ibanez preferably, for years. (My main influence, stereotypically, is Korn. But I want to write my own music now.) After reading hundreds of reviews, I've come to the assumption that UVs; higher priced ones like S7320, Apex 1 & 2, RG1527; and ones that are discontinued and only available on eBay (7620,7621, 7421, etc) are the ones that I need to get. I really wish I could get a cheap K7 or RG 7620 (Vampire Kiss). But they're discontinued.
Well the higher priced ones are too expensive for my wallet, and I have to be able try a guitar before I buy it. Unfortunately, most of the time you can't try a guitar on eBay before you buy it, unless they have a return policy that you can try it then ship it back (with your own money). But that's not very common.

So, in my opinion, my best bet is the RG7321. A lot of reviews have said it's great for the price, but a lot of them also said that the pickups SUCK!
I think I'd be willing to upgrade pickups. probably Blaze or some other Dimarzio, as long as I wasn't spending TOO much money. any suggestions would be of GREAT help :

I want a good clean sound.
For gain/distortion I want it to sound heavy and crunchy, but not pure low-tone that sounds like thick mud.
I love doing harmonics and pinch harmonics, and I'm all about palm muting.
I don't do a whole lot of soloing, I'm more of a rythm guitar player, but occasionally I like some non-shredding soloing if that makes sense.

I already have a 6-string RG170 that I love even tho it's real cheap. I've had it set up with low action, and I use 11-54 for drop tunings such as Db, C, and B. But I want to try B standard, Drop Bb, Bb Standard, Drop A, A standard. (Would it be possible to do Drop B? Or would tuning up the first 6 strings be too tight?) I'd probably use 11-56 or 58 w/ the 7321.
I've already tried the 7321 locally, and it didn't feel too different from my 6 string, but a little heavier which I really hate. Harder to rock out with a heavier guitar, but it was no Les Paul or a Schecter 7 string baritone. But it felt good. Sounded decent on the amp I was able to use, but it might sound a lot different on MY amp (Crate FXT65).

A bad thing about Ibanez 7 strings- supposedly, according to "tech pros" from guitarcenter and musiciansfriend, they can only fit in the $140 UV1000 case. I'm totally NOT willing to pay that much. But I read on a forum thread that a person was able to fit it in a M100c, which coincidently I own for my 6 string. If anyone can confirm this claim, I would DEARLY appreciate it. (the length of the headstock in particular).

So. If anyone would be kind enough to give some suggestions about the pickups and the Drop B tuning, and confirm the M100c fit (along with the measurement of the headstock), it would help me so so much.
I've spent hours trying to find the answers to these questions. But, like a lot of guys, I'm too stubborn to ask for directions when I'm lost (analogy/metaphor, w/e)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
I would say a D-Sonic 7 in the bridge, and an Evo 7 or Air Norton 7 in the neck. That's my opinion. :yesway:

And dude, I keep mine in the most basic hard case GC sells. The Roadrunner one. It fits in there just fine. Only like...80 bucks I think.

For tuning up, I would say use a regular .56 or whatever for the B string, and then a set of 6 string 9's for the rest to tune up.

Reaction score
I appreciate the info. I don't however, want to go out and buy another case if my case is compatible. If it's not, then I'll look into your case. Do you know the exact model, since there are a LOT of Gator cases?

Last edited:

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
**Edit** Wrong model number. I can't seem to find it anywhere. However, I know that it will fit in any of them, and the Roadrunner Polyfoam cases are great for $60. I will get the correct model number off my case later tonight for you.

romper_stomper

((AETOS))
Reaction score
I had the 7321 and was a great guitar (if not one of my favorates). I replaced the stock bridge pickup with the dimarzio blaze. I'm like you. Lots of chugging and not very lead oriented. It suited my style very well. It sounded better than my 7620 and my 2228 (as far as my taste goes).

As far as cases, those guys will tell you anything to make a sale. If I had some links for you I'd help you out but the only thing I would say is take your 7321 or whatever seven you get to your local guitar store and test fit the guitar in some cases. I never had any issues with rg7's or s7's fitting in generic cases.

And also as far as tunings go.. Really that would be up to you. But I will add that It is capable of handling a very wide range of tunings. as long as you use the proper string gauge's, and invest in some locking tuners (schaller's etc.)

After all said and done, You would have a guitar that would slay guitars 2x the price (or more) with very little invested. Good luck on your decision....

romper_stomper

((AETOS))
Reaction score
All you do is slide the guitar string through the hole in the tuning peg like you would on any guitar, then screw the lever that's located on the back of the tuner,(that big round one), and a very small shaft inside the tuning peg will actually pinch the string and hold it stationary untin you loosen the knob later. It leaves very little if any string wraps around the tuning pegs leaving virtually no string slack. They're a must have for any non-locking system.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have a 7321,7620, and a S7420. i REALLY like the 7321. the pickups arent that bad. in fact i will prolly wait to change the pups in it last. actually prolly gonna put new pups in the S and the stok S pups in the 7321 for the time being. the stok 7321 pups pick up pinchs fine and regular harmonics no problem. they seemed a little lacking in the high string area. i adjusted the pole pieces on the higher side to louden the higher strings and its oretty even acrossed the board now. i keep all my guiitars hanging on my wall when not playing. but when i take it to my brothers house or my buddies i just use a planet waves padded gig bag. it fits perfectly, my local sam ash has the 08 7321 on sale for 299.99. thats a GREAT deal. even at the stok 399.99 its a GREAT guitar! i personally got mine of a teenager on craigslist for 200 cash. it was 1 month old when i got it and MINT. it is still mint but i added strap locks. when i got it the rear strap button was stripped. the kid i got it from said it was like that when he got it so give the back button a check or it may fall off. hope this helps. if you want or need anything or any more info just let me know, i will be glad to help!

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
What are good locking tuners that aren't too expensive?

**good locking tuners for a 7 string

Locking tuners typically aren't as cheap as regular tuners, but if you're still interested, check out these from Stewart MacDonald.

Sperzel
Planet Waves
Schaller

A couple other places that sell them include Guitar Parts Depot and Warmoth.

Keep in mind that you'll have to measure the peg hole diameter to see if any of these will fit your 7321, and that you may have to contact the manufacturer of the tuners for one extra, as most tuners are sold in sets of six, not seven (although some are available individually, like at Warmoth). I think Planet Waves will send you one for free, provided you send them a receipt showing that you purchased a set of six.

Reaction score
cool. Well I took my m100c case to the local shop that had one, and it fit. Barely, but it fit :) I played it some, and it hadn't been set up yet so there was a LOT of buzzing. It was already tuned down to ADGCFAD, and according to Ibanez's website, the factory strings on it were 9-54. The result: The A string was more wobbly than a worm. It felt terrible. I'm sure putting higher gauge strings on it would fix the problem. Anyone got suggestions as to the best string gauge solution if I'm wanting to use that ^ tuning, Drop A, and Bb standard? (I've read forums on Ibanez website, and some guys were saying on some dude's post that he needs to use .68 or .70 gauge. That seems extreme to me, and wouldn't that be too thick to fit in the thing-a-ma-jig?)

I do know that I want to start with a 10 or 11, I don't like the 9. Too thin for my fingers. In fact on my 6 string, i play in Drop Db, Drop C, and Drop B. I use 11-54 on it, and I love them...should i do that gauge, and then a 68 or 70 on the B string?

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
cool. Well I took my m100c case to the local shop that had one, and it fit. Barely, but it fit :) I played it some, and it hadn't been set up yet so there was a LOT of buzzing. It was already tuned down to ADGCFAD, and according to Ibanez's website, the factory strings on it were 9-54. The result: The A string was more wobbly than a worm. It felt terrible. I'm sure putting higher gauge strings on it would fix the problem. Anyone got suggestions as to the best string gauge solution if I'm wanting to use that ^ tuning, Drop A, and Bb standard? (I've read forums on Ibanez website, and some guys were saying on some dude's post that he needs to use .68 or .70 gauge. That seems extreme to me, and wouldn't that be too thick to fit in the thing-a-ma-jig?)

I do know that I want to start with a 10 or 11, I don't like the 9. Too thin for my fingers. In fact on my 6 string, i play in Drop Db, Drop C, and Drop B. I use 11-54 on it, and I love them...should i do that gauge, and then a 68 or 70 on the B string?

Actually, plenty of guys use a .068 or .070 for the low B; it's not uncommon or extreme. From what I can tell, a .054 gauge string tuned to C has about 17lbs of tension. So, if you're tuning to Bb and A, a gauge of .066 or .068 would probably be your best bet. While tensions vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, just use your favorite set of 11-54s and slap a .065+ on there for the low B. Should work out fine.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
A .010 -.059 would work perfectly for A tuning on a through-stringing guitar like the RG7321. I have that on my 24.75" AX7221 and it's quite tight but the strings aren't too thick so I can still play fast.

Then again, I use .009 - .052 for B tuning. :lol:

baracuda

Reaction score
I ve just bought my new Ibanez Rg 7321 black. Its got stock IBz pups which is honestly speaking not a top of the line ones. I play metal hardcore ,real tight riffs with lots of chunky parts. But I also like to play some melo stuff on clean sound. So here it is what Im desperetly looking for (im asking all of you guys who really knows what they are talking about): I want my clean as flexible and versitle as my distortion.

My distortion : For my distorted sound I want a pup that will give me - tightness,
noseleness, its gotta be very articulated, agressive , easy for pitch harmonics, with a good sustein and overall just a cool alternative metal tone.

My clean: For clean sound im looking for a neck pup that will make everybody cry.
I really wanna get a cool versitle, soul touching clean sound.

Before you guys say something you should keep in mind that i have a Basswood body
guitar with 5 piece neck and rosewood fretboard. My bridge is fixed. You can e-mail me
austin.bryen@yahoo.com
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stan P

Reaction score
I would go for low output neck pickup ... Dimarzio would have something that works or maybe evn Bill Lawerence L-450 - very uncommon for 7-strings but they are claimed to sound like noiseless single coils and to me single coils have the best lean sound in them - if you wanna make someone cry:). For tight I like Dimarzio Super 3 ... but here opinions diverge:) ... maybe Evos or Blazes:)

')