RG7321 Veneer Question (noob content)

• Thread starter simonk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simonk

Kittens
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a used Ibanez RG7321 recently and have bought all new hardware for it, but I really can't stand the black finish.

I've decided to sand it all back and put a burl walnut veneer on top, this is my first time doing this kind of thing so I wanted people's advice/opinion on how i should finish the veneer along with the rest of the body?

Is it possible to use a dark filler (ebony possibly) then tung oil finish the veneer and body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
yes its possible to go the route you questioned. Just make damn sure you're all the way through the sanding sealer before staining and gluing.
For veneer finishing, since you are using a walnut veneer, its fairly dark and dont need a whole lot of stain, if any. Perhaps a deep red color would be nice :)

Id clear coat it, but again, your guitar.

TrashJuice

Reaction score
This is almost exactly what I am thinking of doing. I hope you come back and update your thread. The RG7321 seems like a good vehicle for some easy mods like pickup/electronics/hardware swap, veneer top, etc.

Latest posts

')